The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 06-17-2004, 10:22 AM   #346
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sidhe

I said that I'd be putting up articles. If the thread annoys you, I'm not forcing you to read it.

Although, I admit that I should just start putting up links. Problem is, the links expire after a certain amount of time. I'll try to do better, though.

Sidhe
personally, i prefer the quoted excerpts. i don't like to follow links for some reason. and my irritate-o-meter has been pegged for months, so what's the difference? like you said, if we're irritated, we don't have to read the thread.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 02:51 PM   #347
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Inmates charged with murder in convict's beating death

Officials won't give a motive in the case against the two prisoners, who are serving life terms in earlier deaths

Wednesday, June 16, 2004
JOSEPH ROSE

Two Oregon State Penitentiary inmates were charged Tuesday with beating and stabbing another convict to death last September inside the maximum-security prison.

Prosecutors said they will seek the death penalty for Jason Van Brumwell, 28, and Gary Haugen, 42, who were arraigned on aggravated murder charges in Marion County Circuit Court.

The men, who are serving life sentences for murder convictions, are accused of killing David Shane Polin, 31, in an activities area at the Salem prison.

Polin was a former Hillsboro resident serving time for attempted murder and drug convictions. An autopsy found that he died of stab wounds and blunt force head trauma on Sept. 2, 2004.

Authorities declined to discuss details of the case, saying they want to save most of the facts for trial, which isn't expected until 2005.

Don Abar, a Marion County deputy district attorney, said he was reluctant to discuss the possible motive behind the killing.

When murder happens behind bars, Abar said, the motives "are pretty consistent," he said. "It's gangs, drugs or revenge." He wouldn't say which applies to Polin's case.

Polin's wife, Clarinda Polin, said prosecutors have told her she will have to wait until the trial to learn more. "It's frustrating," she said, "but I guess I can understand that they need to keep things quiet to avoid any mess-ups."

She said she visited her husband the Saturday before his death. He didn't mention any problems with other inmates, she said.

Since 1986, there have been five inmate homicides inside Oregon State Penitentiary. "Before that, it had been a long while since we had a murder," said Mike Yoder, a prison spokesman.

State prison officials said Polin's killing prompted a change in how they gather and monitor inmates in the activities area used for counseling sessions and club gatherings.

Polin was attacked in a back room, out of view of corrections officers monitoring the area, said Perrin Damon, a Department of Corrections spokeswoman.

"Inmates are no longer allowed in the back rooms," Damon said. "All inmate activities have been moved to a central area, where there is direct supervision at all times."

A critical-incident review by prison officials found no reason to discipline the officers guarding Brumwell, Haugen and Polin the morning of the attack.

Haugen was convicted of aggravated murder in 1981 in Multnomah County for killing the mother of his ex-girlfriend at her Northeast Portland home. He beat the woman to death with his fists, a hammer and a baseball bat.

Brumwell's aggravated murder conviction stemmed from a robbery and killing in April 1994 at a west Eugene convenience store.

In the days after Polin's death, Oregon State Police investigators said they were getting no help from inmates who might have witnessed the slaying. Abar declined to say how the investigation led to Haugen and Brumwell.

If they'd given them the death penalty for the first murders, maybe this wouldn't have happened, hm?

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 02:52 PM   #348
Lady Sidhe

Inmate pleads guilty in 1989 murder; linked by DNA match

Baltimore - A prison inmate has entered a guilty plea in a Baltimore rape and murder that happened more than 14 years ago.

Fifty-seven-year-old John Holmes pleaded guilty yesterday to the fatal stabbing of Shirley Myers in December 1989 on Montpelier Street in northeast Baltimore. He was convicted of second-degree murder and first degree rape and was given a life sentence -- suspended after 25 years.

Holmes has already been serving a 25-year prison sentence since 1990 for armed robbery. He was linked to the Myers case through DNA tests.

------------------

Woman Pleads Guilty To First-Degree Murder In Husband's Death

POSTED: 6:35 am PDT June 17, 2004
UPDATED: 6:52 am PDT June 17, 2004
LOS ANGELES -- A woman accused of murdering her husband with the help of a man she met on the Internet is facing 25 years to life in prison after pleading guilty to first-degree murder.

Cathleen Quinn also agreed to testify against her alleged accomplice Wednesday.

A judge told Quinn during a hearing in West Valley Superior Court that she would reduce the charge to second-degree murder and sentence her to 15 years to life if she testifies truthfully during the upcoming trial of Alan Lee Lama.

Prosecutors say Quinn met the 35-year-old former radio announcer over the Internet and the two hatched a plot to assault 36-year-old James Quinn of Victorville, Calif.

Cathleen Quinn confessed to detectives that on January 24, 2003 she was driving her husband home from dinner when she took him to an isolated spot where Lama was waiting to rough him up. She said Lama attacked James Quinn with a knife and then used the cord from his sweat shirt to strangle him.

Lama has pleaded not guilty and denied any role. Now that Quinn has pleaded guilty, Lama's jury will be allowed to hear her confession and implication of Lama.

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Old 06-17-2004, 02:57 PM   #349
Lady Sidhe

Serial killer Robert Maudsley near death

British serial killer Robert Maudsley is reported to be near
death following 26 years in solitary confinement. The Daily
Mirror reported Monday Maudsley has lost a good deal of
weight because of drugs given to him to control his violent
mood swings have dulled his appetite. "It is hard to feel
sorry for such a man. But it's still shocking to see him
like that," said a prison insider at Wakefield prison.
A doctor visits Maudsely twice a day at his two-room glass
cage -- similar to the one in the film "Silence Of The
Lambs" that starred Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter.
Maudsley was sentenced to life in prison in 1974 after he
killed a laborer. Three years later, while in prison he
killed a pedophile. A guard said he fractured the man's
skull like an egg and then ate part of his brain with a
spoon. In 1978, he killed two more convicts. Because of
his prison killings Maudsely was placed into solitary
confinement, a punishment he described as "being buried
alive in a concrete coffin."

Aaaaand, so what, we're supposed to feel sorry for him or something?

Oh, but he's probably crazy or something...his mom yelled at him when he was, like, five, and it traumatized him so much that he had to kill.

Silly me.

Sidhe

-Rita Rudner

Old 08-10-2004, 06:28 AM   #350
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Here's another instance where Prison apperantly wasn't a deterrant, they got out and killed again...because "I thought they stole my Xbox".

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/08/09/fl...ion/index.html

Or the case of the teenager with the pipe bombs...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/08/...mbs/index.html

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 10:51 AM   #351
wolf
lobber of scimitars

This is a bit of fun that was lost in the crash, so I repost it here ...

Note the Bad Ad Placement

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 11:25 AM   #352
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Wow on the Xbox ad placement. they stop at nothing!
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 11:34 AM   #353
glatt

Google places targeted ads on web pages based on text on the page. Fox may do the same thing. It's all automated.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 03:22 PM   #354
lookout123
changed his status to single

often times they have ads that aren't even connected to the text on the page - it can be just a coincedence.
on 9/11/01 there were ads for lowered fairs and extra miles on the cnn (i believe) page right below the picture of the plane going into one of the towers. i remember seeing this, but i don't know where so i can't place the link.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:12 PM   #355
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There was another one about a woman that killed her boyfriend for erasing her Ipod, that had an Ipod ad on the same page.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:42 PM   #356
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
This is a bit of fun that was lost in the crash, so I repost it here ...
Note the Bad Ad Placement
Why do you say it's bad placement? They're trying to avert further murders with free Xboxes!
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 05:47 PM   #357
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

But what if you're a PS2 fan? The offer could drive you to murder!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote