The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-09-2004, 04:46 PM   #61
lookout123
changed his status to single

eh, yer momma's so fat...

when she was laying on the beach, greenpeace gathered to help push her back out to sea.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:53 PM   #62
jaguar
whig

quis est haec simia?
Old 07-09-2004, 05:15 PM   #63
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
eh, yer momma's so fat...

when she was laying on the beach, greenpeace gathered to help push her back out to sea.
I would comment, but I'd think you'll be embarrassed enough next time you look at your own post.

I love my country enough so that I get outraged when it engages in counter-productive acts overseas, and I get embarrassed for my fellow countrymen when they start acting like the streotypical "ugly Americans." If I didn't give a damn, none of it would matter to me.

Oh well, sic transit gloria mundi .
Old 07-09-2004, 05:20 PM   #64
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
I would comment, but I'd think you'll be embarrassed enough next time you look at your own post.
mari - it would take a hell of a lot to embarrass me, but so you know - my last few posts were just a joke. jag is aware of that.

they were supposed to be stereotypical american responses... guess they worked - but i wasn't really insulting jag's mother.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:15 AM   #65
jaguar
whig

and you wonder why
Old 07-10-2004, 07:23 AM   #66
busterb
NSABFD

Here also
Old 07-10-2004, 09:47 AM   #67
jaguar
whig

Largely seperate issues. A lot of people of people have been pissed about that for a long time (the opposition leader, Mark Latham got a lot of kudos for standing up and calling howard an 'arse licker', an act that alone made him one of my favorite pollies) but the more recent issues is the trade agreement and the comments of the deputy of state who was over to the media about Labor's stance on keeping troops in Iraq should they win the election.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:54 AM   #68
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jag, you deal daily with institutions, corporations and government entities from the USA, that the average person here has no idea who they are or what they do, if they’ve heard of them at all. We know the people we meet, their actions and feelings and the general mood and feel. We get from the media what’s happening on a nationwide or worldwide basis but our personal knowledge is limited to our daily lives. When we hear someone attacking (verbally) Americans, we say “Hey that includes me, what the hell did I do?”
I think your perspective is formed by the people you deal with and they’re not representative of me or my attitudes. I also think that’s why you keep coming back to the Cellar, because you find the attitudes and comments you find here contradict more than reinforce what you see in your work.
Personally I’m interested in your take on things as a point of view from European dealing with American business and government entities. I wonder how much of your perspective is shared by Europeans that don’t have those dealings. You know, the average Joe, that only gets information from the media, like I do.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:02 PM   #69
jaguar
whig

Well you're right and to be honest, I wouldn't have a clue. There are lots of communities that are annoyed about different things. Most australian creative types are mad as hell about the new trade agreement for example but in the broader populace it's more complicated.

In Australia a mixture of resentment and a sense of resignation about America but direct impingement does raise ire, the article I pointed to you above is a common example and Labour is doing well off the back of a fair wave of anti-american feeling.

Europe is harder, there is a lot of feeling in Britain and I think Blair has felt it. I've seen a lot of people here (Switzerland) give the finger to the TV when bush comes on . Hating bush is very trendy to say the least. Even in very professional environments I've heard people make some not very polite comments. Bush personally is very, very toxic and certainly appears to embody what it is people dislike.

Most of the stuff that really irks me is not stuff that most people would be aware of in the slightest but there is a lot of feeling about other issues that are more about our place the in the world. Ask most people about why they are anti-war (and the vast majority are) and the answer will probably be something like "it was just for the oil", deep down it seems to me it's more a sense of indignation 'how dare they do that'.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:57 PM   #70
marichiko

I would have to second Jag when it comes to the responses of my own family in Switzerland. They are all very intelligent, mostly highly educated people, and they despise Bush. My Aunt Elsa whom I am most in contact with, often expresses polite bewilderment about American foreign policy and just American customs in general. I've had I don't know how many conversations with her which began with her shaking her head and asking, "Why do you Americans...?"
Old 07-10-2004, 01:04 PM   #71
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
"Why do you Americans...?"
What? Why do we what? What do all us Americans exclusively do that has your freaking aunt Elsa so perplexed? I'm dying to know. Seriously.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:14 PM   #72
LSMFT
Confounded Conjuror

So hating Bush is "trendy" in Europe? I'm not even going to try to defend that despicable dunderhead, but when did Europeans ever like American presidents? I was stationed at Upper Heyford RAFB in the 80's, and traveled/worked all over Europe. Reagan, again, no defense here, was HATED everywhere, and being in the military working mostly with local civilians, I was constantly berated for his policies. I've also visited several times as a child, and also in the last few years. It's always the same for me, "Oh, I don't like Americans, but you are O.K." like I'm getting priviledged gossip. I've only been able to come to two conclusions on this, either we're just a HUGE stupid target, or that they truly resent our waste of potential. One thing I do know, is that they all really do love cowboy movies, especially in Germany.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:28 PM   #73
jaguar
whig

Europe is far further to the left, your left wing is right of our right wing most of the time, tends to be why we particularly dislike your right wing leaders. Clinton is pretty popular over here. Jinx, travelled much?
Old 07-10-2004, 02:31 PM   #74
jinx
Come on, cat.

Nope, not at all jag. Your point?
Old 07-10-2004, 02:36 PM   #75
jaguar
whig

Just how aware you are/aren't about the opinion of americans outside america.
Every major nationality has different connotations in most people's head. Since I've got enough passports to play cards with I'm particularly aware of this. I call Australian I get the 'g'day mate' and shrimp on the barbie stuff, Swiss gets me fairly close to a blank slate, maybe something about banks or cookoo clocks, British means people avoid giving you an opportunity to show off your teeth. America mostly gets loud, obnoxious, arrogant, jingoistic and insensitive. It's not entirely fair but it's a fact.