The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 07-18-2007, 11:52 AM   #196
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

SonofV has been increasingly proud of his muscles. "Look at that!" as he pumps up his bicep. So, in fun, we were arm wrestling the other night, and he was gamely battling to a draw. I raised my eyes up and over his shoulder and said "Hey, look at that!" When he turned his head to look, I pressed his arm down to the bed. Upon realizing he'd been tricked, he said "No fair! My arm was gullible!" :P
Old 07-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #197
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
Aww!

I think he just really doesn't want to disappoint you. By the fact that he didn't deny jumping on the bed, I would say you are doing a good job. Sounds like it was difficult for him to tell the truth, but he still felt compelled to do so, even though he might have thought he would disappoint you.

I have to admit (I might be biased), but he really is a great kid. He listen well, has his own opinions, and loves humor. He started getting sarcasm at an early age. We knew we were in trouble then.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:15 PM   #198
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Wow. Your kid probably weighs what, 35 pounds? And he fell from the bed to the floor upstairs, and you didn't hear the thump? I want to live in your house. We can hear them wiggling their toes in their shoes in this house.
We have a hanging pan rack in the ceiling right beneath the "hitting floor" point for the bunkbeds in the boys bedroom. They still seem surprised that we know they're out of bed......
Old 07-19-2007, 09:23 AM   #199
theotherguy

special parent super powers
Old 07-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #200
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
!!

Is she ok?
yes, she's fine, thanks for asking. It's hot here, our blood is thin and tends to look worse than it is, I suppose.

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #201
smurfalicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
I broke my collar bone around that age too. My mom was trying the "we'll sit here all night until you eat that" tactic at dinner. I fell asleep and fell out of my chair and <snap>. It was totally worth it...
lol, I've tried that with my daughter, and she does the same thing... though without the broken collarbone. Now, I give her 20 minutes to eat, and what she doesn't finish gets served up for breakfast - cold.

I never said I wasn't a mean mama.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:17 AM   #202
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I gotta try that, smurf...20 minutes and then it is in the fridge until breakfast. Wow. Pickiness is a pet peave for me.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #203
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherguy View Post
I have to admit (I might be biased), but he really is a great kid. He listen well, has his own opinions, and loves humor. He started getting sarcasm at an early age. We knew we were in trouble then.
Sounds like a good kid. Sounds like good parents.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #204
smurfalicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
I gotta try that, smurf...20 minutes and then it is in the fridge until breakfast. Wow. Pickiness is a pet peave for me.
So far, it's the only that thing that has worked. Letting her go hungry didn't work - she just whined because she was hungry later. Making her eat everything didn't work because she either tried to make herself vomit, or would fall asleep at the table and still not have eaten.

And it gets super frustrating to constantly get on her case during dinner, which is the only time all day long we are all together with 100% attention on each other. So far, ti's working out quite well. Only had to enact the cold-dinner-for-breakfast twice in the last 6 months.

Mom-1
Girl-0

Old 07-19-2007, 11:18 AM   #205
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfalicious View Post
So far, it's the only that thing that has worked. Letting her go hungry didn't work - she just whined because she was hungry later. Making her eat everything didn't work because she either tried to make herself vomit, or would fall asleep at the table and still not have eaten.
Heh...extremely familiar. "I'll starve if I have to."
Old 07-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #206
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

"Well, it'll be interesting to find out for sure how many ribs you have, then."

Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #207
glatt

Our son can be a picky eater. We make him try everything on his plate, but he doesn't have to finish it. If he doesn't want to eat it, that's fine. He just won't be eating anything else until breakfast. He goes to bed hungry several times a week. His choice. No confrontation. No power struggle. No fuss.

We only have healthy foods for breakfast and he always eats a big breakfast after going to bed hungry.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #208
jinx
Come on, cat.

I'm not responsible for what my kids eat - just what I make available to them. I don't let them order huge entrees that I know they won't finish at restaurants... but I never make them eat anything.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #209
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Isn't it possible that some kids aren't "picky?" Can't our taste buds differ, and for some there is a real reason they don't want to eat it (as in they might puke?) Hardly seems worth broken collarbones or reverse peristalsis. But then again, if they only want yummies and have never tried something maybe you should make them try?

You parents have a tough job!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #210
theotherguy

Mine just plain will not eat. Not picky. Just will not eat much more than goldfish crackers, a few apple bits, and, well, that is mostly it right now. I can sometimes get him to eat half of a pop-tart. Healthy. Thank God for vitamins and minerals in Carnation Instant Breakfast.

Tags
humor