The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
SamIam

PASS!

Yesterday morning at 4 AM I walked down to the post office to mail off my application for the PASS program. One thing about living in a small town is that I can wander around by myself at all hours without fear. The streets were completely deserted with only the occasional streetlamp to show the way. Even Highway 160 which doubles as Main Street was devoid of travelers. The words to that song from Cats, "Memory" came to my mind:

Daylight
I must wait for the sunrise
I must think of a new life
And I mustn't give in
When the dawn comes
Tonight will be a memory too
And a new day will begin...

For the past three days I had been trying to finish that paperwork, staying up until dawn, falling into bed for a few hours sleep and then waking up to continue my marathon. The form was a lucky 13 pages long, and when I finished it, I read the directions. Whoops! 3 more pages to go. I grimly sat back down at the computer and soldiered on, finishing up those last three pages and writing a cover letter as my final embellishment.

PASS stands for Plan to Achieve Self Support. It's a program to help people on SSI/SSDI get off disability. Since it's a federal program, it's as complicated as hell and the paperwork is enough to make strong men feel faint. The short explanation is that it's a fund matching savings program that the participent can use to pay for college or vocational school, starting up their own business, or pay for a job coach, etc. Your PASS plan has to be for something that you have a good chance of accomplishing, and the paperwork is the government's way of ensuring that you are a viable candidate for a PASS. If for some reason you don't succeed, you have to pay back the money the government has invested in you to that point, so your plan better be pretty damn good to avoid defaulting.

My plan is to become a campground host, working for one of the private outfits that the national parks are commissioning to take over visitor services. It's not a complicated job - much simpler than working at the Bates was. You collect the envelopes with the fees in them; make a little tour first thing in the morning matching license plates and envelopes to make sure everyone has paid; enforce rules like pets must be on a leash, no noise after 10 PM, no feeding your poodle to a cougar, etc. You also have to keep the campground tidy and clean the restrooms which is the ickiest part of the job. The other stuff is a piece of cake.

The pay is around $10.00/hr plus free hook-ups for your RV. In effect, you have free housing, and a reasonable supplement to any other income like social security (assuming there still is social security). In the summer you can go work up in some place like Montana and in the winter you can go bask under the saguaros in Arizona. It's also a great way of providing a needed service while maintaining your dignity as a self supporting adult. With all due modesty, I can't think of a better person for the job than me - the camping and back country fool.

The catch to this is that campground hosts have to have their own RV. As it now stands, I'll never be able to afford an RV in a million years, but a PASS would allow me to make that dream a reality. I figure I need to come up with $700.00/month which the government would then match, allowing me to put $1400/month into a special savings account. By my calculations within 2 years - 3 at the max - I'd have enough to buy a second hand camping trailor that could serve as my year round home, along with a used V8, 4wd to haul it. I'd be set for the rest of my life.

I feel like I just came through the finals week from hell back at college, but if they approve my plan it will have been well worth the effort. Now all I have to do is find some simple minded little job that I can do and which will pay at least $500.00 to $800.00 a month. Stupid recession! Stupid little middle of nowhere town! But I'm determined to make this work. I'll find a job somehow. And I'm keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that I'll be approved to at least give it a shot.

Last edited by SamIam; 08-17-2012 at 11:51 AM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Wishing you all the very best, Sam!

Sent by thought transference
Old 08-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Good luck hon
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I think that sounds WONDERFUL, Sam. Best of luck to you!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Best of luck! I hope you get it.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Lamplighter

I believe your affection/affliction for back woods living is genuine,
and if you can find a way to do it year round, it would be great for you.

I hope things go right for you.
But you do first have to promise us pics, pics, and more pics...
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
I believe your affection/affliction for back woods living is genuine,
and if you can find a way to do it year round, it would be great for you.

I hope things go right for you.
But you do first have to promise us naked pics, naked pics, and more naked pics...
Lamplighter, for shame!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
Lamplighter

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Good luck with it all Sam. Right now, living in a caravan (trailer) with no one but myself for company unless I step outside sounds like heaven. lol
Old 08-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Sam it is a great life!! At one point in my life, I was a Park Ranger and it was some of the most peaceful/enjoyable times of my life. Used campers are pretty cheap and an older F-250 makes a great truck pull it. Have you thought about one of the used FEMA trailers? They have been selling them pretty cheap ($3 - 5,000) and many of them were never used. They just sat in storage areas for years
Old 08-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
monster
I hear them call the tide

Good Luck, Sam. I love the plan and believe it will work.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Sam it is a great life!! At one point in my life, I was a Park Ranger and it was some of the most peaceful/enjoyable times of my life. Used campers are pretty cheap and an older F-250 makes a great truck pull it. Have you thought about one of the used FEMA trailers? They have been selling them pretty cheap ($3 - 5,000) and many of them were never used. They just sat in storage areas for years
Oh I can soooo see you as a park ranger!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Good luck, Sam. You deserve it.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

that sounds perfect! best of luck!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #15
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Good for you Sam! Good luck with this...

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote