The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
Nirvana
Back in 10

Good wishes and positive vibes being sent your way!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #17
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Wow Sam! I'm so proud of you for finishing that paperwork, I don't think I could ever do it. You deserve the help and I hope you get it.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #18
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Sam - The Army Corps of Engineers has a large campground manager program. Most of the jobs are non-competitive and are filled at the district level since they are considered seasonal. I would be trying to find one myself,but it is too late in the season in my area.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
...... I figure I need to come up with $700.00/month which the government would then match, allowing me to put $1400/month into a special savings account.

Now all I have to do is find some simple minded little job that I can do and which will pay at least $500.00 to $800.00 a month.
Um, how are you going to save $700 a month and support yourself, for two or three years, on $500 to $800 a month?
Old 08-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #20
starring molly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Good luck hon
I am not sure where to begin here on this site. Am I not allowed an avatar; nor to post a thread?? It keeps saying I 'do not have access.' Also, there is not 'Introduction forum.' So I have not a clue as to how one begins to join the community???

Can someone inform me??

Thanks,
Molly
starring molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #21
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Well, fuck-a-doodle-doo ...
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #22
starring molly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Well, fuck-a-doodle-doo ...
Are you referring to me?? I just arrived here; and could use some navagational help. Where is every1??

molly
starring molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's a message board, not a chat room. You'll rarely get an immediate reply.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #24
SamIam

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone! (and even "starring Molly" - I'm impressed ). And Sarge, those are some great suggestions! I'll definately check into them.

Right after I posted this thread, I got word that Colorado Voc Rehab wanted to give me some temp work, so naturally I jumped at the chance and haven't had the time to visit the Cellar until now when I am once again ungainfully unemployed. However, I just got a letter stating that they want to hire me back for another chunk of time - probably in October. It's a great gig, but alas, there's no funding to make it a permanent position. Still, I'm happy for whatever crumbs they want to throw my way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Um, how are you going to save $700 a month and support yourself, for two or three years, on $500 to $800 a month?
You don't want to know, Bruce. It ain't pretty. But since you asked...
The amount I get from disability is so small that I am officially way below the poverty line. Which qualifies me for rental and food assistance. My medical is also mostly covered. My wardrobe is thrift shop chic. Wyn dines on Walmart's finest kibble - "Old Yellow." Say, didn't the Old Yellow in the book die of rabies or something? Never mind. The Internet is my only extravagance. Well, and gas for my truck. Lucky for me, the mountains are only about 30 miles away, and my old Toyota still manages to get 20 miles to the gallon. And if I end up on foot toward the end of the month, no big deal. I can walk to most anywhere in this small town and I have kind friends who give me the occasional ride when I need it.

I suppose I could live this way indefinately, but I HATE, HATE, HATE not being self sufficient. It takes away your dignity and sense of self worth so easily if you let it. I still haven't heard back from the Feds on my PASS, but me and my friend Jim (also disabled) have come up with a great Plan B and if I have to stay up all night for a month and fill out a thousand page application, I'll do it. And if they don't like that, I'll come up with a Plan C, etc. Eventually, the PASS co-ordinator up in Denver will become so tired of reading my new and ever more amazing applications that she'll give in and approve one of them. How will I do it? In one word - becaused I'm cussed.

And when I get my campground host job, all Cellar folk can come stay for free in some of the most beautiful places on earth. It'll be all on me, so everyone start getting your camping gear together now!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #25
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Sam, I am glad you've had some work (which sounds like it's good experience for your future applications if you have to do them).
I keep thinking about this plan of yours and really hope it works out for you!