The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 06-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #16
Pamela
Deplorable

Note that when you first notice the symptoms, note the time. This is critical for the doctors as some strokes can be reversed or treated with medication if given within the first four hours.

Also, if the victim is diabetic, check the glucose level and give juice or glucogel if able.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #17
monster
I hear them call the tide

I don't think FAST is remotely helpful. I had none of those symptoms either, and I think it encourages people to assume it isn't a stroke if none of those are present, which is not constructive.

Last edited by monster; 06-25-2015 at 11:04 PM.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:44 AM   #18
Griff
still says videotape

Sorry I missed this thread before Chris. I hope for a good recovery.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #19
chrisinhouston
Professor

Yes, in hindsight we should have given the situation the benefit of the doubt and headed to the hospital right away. The Dr did say that most likely in her case it wouldn't have changed the outcome. He said the clot most likely did what it did and was done. She is slowly regaining some feeling in her arm and upper left side but says her left leg feels cold (which it isn't) and every now and then she gets a hot flash feeling and it is super warm for a moment and then she feels as thought it is cold again.

She sent an email to our regular Dr. as they have a patient portal and he had his head nurse call to schedule an extended appointment with him for next week. She is supposed to follow up with a neurologist but hasn't been able to get an appointment any time soon. One office said end of July! She has worked from home this week and may do that next week for a few days until she sees our family Dr. Not sure how this will effect her work as she had several projects with local travel as well as one to Mobile, Alabama in July. She was supposed to go to the Netherlands in October and I really had hoped to go on that trip.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:07 AM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston View Post
Yes, in hindsight we should have given the situation the benefit of the doubt and headed to the hospital right away.
Pshaw, wives/mothers might do that for family members, but themselves? I'll be fine in the morning, dear.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #21
monster
I hear them call the tide

If it's any consolation, Chris, the numbness and weakness I suffered initially on one side eventually wore off/were overcome with exercise, but they kind of "ghosted" for a while -so I'd expect not to be able to feel/do something when actually I could.

Her family doctor should be able to speed up the neurologist process if they feel it's necessary, but honestly, there's a good chance that it isn't, just the hospital covering their backs. Seems to me it's more necessary that you go with her to the Netherlands, eh? Don't beat yourself up about not going to the hospital The type they can "reverse" are usually the more severe strokes. (I wouldn't have gone either if I hadn't been at the PT when it happened and he called an ambulance).

Your wife just needs to make extra sure she is getting enough sleep and go easy on the stress for a bit, and if she can't/wont do that, that's where she needs you to look out for her

Wishing her a speedy recovery.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #22
chrisinhouston
Professor

Thanks Monster! So far each day has been a bit better.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:30 AM   #23
chrisinhouston
Professor

Well this could get interesting. My wife saw that our Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance account has started getting some of the bills. Everything so far seems to be covered except the Neurologist who either does not take health insurance or is out of network. Crazy! Why do they allow physicians to cover cases if they don't take a major health plan like ours?

May have to fight that one as we certainly had no choice in the matter.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:00 PM   #24
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Fight it! My experience with healthcare companies is that it is a tedious and frustrating process, but if you out-stubborn them you will very often win, usually in about 6-9 months' time. They are counting on people giving up and just paying.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #25
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
They are counting on people giving up and just paying.
That.

The bastards.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #26
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Yes yes yes!!!! Listen to Clod. MY son's bills topped 2 million in 6 months. Its a nightmare, but be diligent and fight that shit.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:31 AM   #27
chrisinhouston
Professor

Just an update. My wife and I had a nice weekend, we went swimming at the kids pool and did a typical 4th of July cookout on Saturday. The numbness is pretty much gone. She still has this feeling of cold spots on her left leg and foot that comes and goes. Overall she just feels tired and feels the need to rest more often.

She worked from home last week. They do a lot of conference calls with clients so she can just sit at her home desk computer and call in and interact when needed. She went to the office yesterday from 9-1. She came home and had a 1.5 hour conference call afterwards and took a nap. Last night she decided to just work every other day at the office this week so she doesn't overdo it so she is home today.

Sadly my schedule and regular exercise program has suffered from all this. I had been getting up with her prior to the stroke and getting in an hour of walking or a bike ride but since she is home and tends to sleep in a bit later I haven't been out as much. Summer is really heating up now and we have had so much rain that walking has been hard to get done. Hopefully this week I can get back into it.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Good to hear she's rebounding. Working at a routine she's competent in, at a pace that's comfortable, should be helpful in restoring her self confidence and avoiding depression. Much of any recovery from a major kick in the head is mental, and the support from you and family is paramount. Sounds like she's getting that.

Tell her the Cellar says, you go girl!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #29
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Everything Bruce said.

Glad things are progressing well.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #30
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

great!