The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #151
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

God has no control over whether or not anyone gets raped, but he's in complete control whether or not that act of violence results in pregnancy.

Some god!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #152
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
God has no control over whether or not anyone gets raped, but he's in complete control whether or not that act of violence results in pregnancy.

Some god!
Nah, if you ask those guys, she probably did something to deserve it. Like be born with two X chromosomes and live at least til the onset of puberty.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #153
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The best article I've read about abortion and rape in, well, ever.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/29/opinio...html?hpt=hp_t2
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #154
Griff
still says videotape

That's too reasonable, it won't play.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #155
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Good article.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #156
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
The best article I've read about abortion and rape in, well, ever.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/29/opinio...html?hpt=hp_t2
I agree.

from the article:
Quote:
Abortion is a product of poverty and maternal distress.

A woman who enjoys the most emotional and financial security and who has chosen the timing of her pregnancy will not choose abortion, even when abortion laws are liberal. A woman who is dominated, who is poor and who fears bearing the child is likely to find an abortion, even where abortion is restricted, as it was across the United States before 1965.
Regarding Mourdock's statements, I don't agree with his position about abortion and rape. And his "apology" was the standard "I am sorry if you (the media) misunderstood me" non-apology, but I do respect the rest of his remarks where he said that he could not apologize for speaking from his heart, as that would make him contrary to his faith. I can respect that. It wasn't proselytizing, it wasn't bullshit, it was honest. That I respect. I don't agree with the policy challenge it leads to, but to see someone speaking honestly and candidly is very refreshing.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #157
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
This guy seems stupid enough to not belie the thread title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by state Sen. Richard H. “Dick” Black
... who is running to take over retiring Rep. Frank Wolf’s seat, had fought against making spousal rape a crime because the woman was “sleeping in the same bed, she’s in a nightie.”
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #158
Happy Monkey

That guy gave up.

But this guy's been in office more than 20 years. I'm not sure whether "Executive director" is an elected office, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Brooks Patterson
“I made a prediction a long time ago and it’s come to pass. I said what we’re gonna do is turn Detroit into an Indian reservation, where we herd all the Indians into the city, build a fence around it and then throw in the blankets and the corn.”
|_______________| [pics]
Old 01-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #159
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That article shows his history seems to have little regard for minorities, but the they say...
Quote:
When you know where Patterson’s words are coming from, you understand that the meaning was not benign.
He is the lawyer who represented the anti-segregationists in Oakland County, decades ago.
He fought school busing all the way to the Supreme Court, where he eventually won the case.
After that he lobbied for a ‘no busing amendment’ to the United States Constitution.
Wait? What? Anti-segregationists?
Old 01-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #160
Happy Monkey

A typo, I assume.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 01-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #161
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
A typo, I assume.
I think they meant to write 'auntie-segregationists', AKA the PTA circa 1966.

Quote:
  • Formal Merge of PTA and NCCPT
    • In 1966, the two associations began formal talks about unification and formally merged in 1970.
    • Despite riots in some areas because of racial tensions, integration proceeded effectively enough to see many local units of the NCCPT merge with local PTA units.
https://arkansaspta.org/History_of_PTA.html
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 01-25-2014 at 10:07 AM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:12 PM   #162
Happy Monkey

Finally the Republicans get to accuse a Democrat of trivializing rape!
Quote:
At a New Mexico House Judiciary Committee hearing last week state Rep. Ken Martinez (D) said "rape is defined in many ways and some of it is just drunken college sex."
Republicans are hammering the state lawmaker over his comments, while Martinez is denying that his remarks were dismissive of the seriousness of rape.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-28-2015, 12:06 AM   #163
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Rep John Carter [R-TX] chairs Homeland Security Appropriations and sits on Defense subcommittees, but he only found out that encryption exists.

Quote:
Rep. John Carter: I'm chairman of Homeland Security Appropriations. I serve on Defense and Defense subcommittees. We have all the national defense issues with cyber. And now, sir, on this wonderful committee. So cyber is just pounding me from every direction. And every time I hear something, or something just pops in my head -- because I don't know anything about this stuff. If they can do that to a cell phone why can't they do that to every computer in the country, and nobody can get into it? If that's the case, then that's the solution to the invaders from around the world who are trying to get in here. [Smug grin]

FBI Director Comey: [Chuckle and gives smug, knowing grin]

Carter: Then if that gets to be the wall, the stone wall, and even the law can't penetrate it, then aren't we creating an instrument [that] is the perfect tool for lawlessness. This is a very interesting conundrum that's developing in the law. If they, at their own will at Microsoft can put something in a computer -- or at Apple -- can put something in that computer [points on a smartphone], which it is, to where nobody but that owner can open it, then why can't they put it in the big giant super computers, that nobody but that owner can open it. And everything gets locked away secretly. And that sounds like a solution to this great cyber attack problem, but in turn it allows those who would do us harm [chuckles] to have a tool to do a great deal of harm where law enforcement can't reach them. This is a problem that's gotta be solved.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:25 PM   #164
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Easiest option is Denial. Pretend that it doesn't. We all know humans are naturally wired for Denial. it's a great self-defence mechanism. Deny the problem exists, deny abortion is the only solution.
Unfortunately denial does not exist until one is first told what to believe. A majority knew smoking cigarettes increase health. Then got 'Rush Limbaugh' angry a the Surgeon General for reporting that cigarettes kill. A majority knew Saddam had WMDs because a dumb president said so. Then got angy when, for example, the Cellar was full of posts that said why that did not exist.

A majority foolishly plug their computer into a surge protector. When that protector does not claim to protect a computer from destructive surges, when it can make surge damage easier, and when it can even create a fire. A majority deny only because the first thing they were told was bogus. And because they forget that adults need relevant reasons and numbers for why it should be believed.

A friend so loved calling the most religious. They would automatically believe the first thing he told them. And so he made good money promoting telephone scams. His best customers were the most religious.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:20 PM   #165
Griff
still says videotape

Shhhhh... We've secretly replaced his usual political system whipping boy with Carly Fiorina his usual business school whipping girl, let's see if he notices.