The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mar 16, 2009: Operation Smile, Jordan

Operation Smile;
Quote:
Operation Smile mobilizes a world of generous hearts to heal children’s smiles and transform lives across the globe. Our network of volunteers works worldwide to repair childhood facial deformities including cleft lips and cleft palates.
They've been doing this remarkable work for almost 30 years.
Quote:
Founded in 1982, Operation Smile, headquartered in Norfolk, Virginia, is a worldwide children’s medical charity whose network of global volunteers are dedicated to helping improve the health and lives of children and young adults. Since its founding, Operation Smile volunteers have treated more than 130,000 children born with cleft lips, cleft palates and other facial deformities and the organization has a presence in 51 countries. In addition to contributing free medical treatment, Operation Smile trains local medical professionals in its partner countries and leaves behind crucial equipment to lay the groundwork for long-term self-sufficiency.
My old friend Fat Larry just returned from one of the missions to Jordan, and sent me a link to his pictures.
I figured since we're all friends here, you might like a backstage peek at some of the patients and the wonderful people that do this volunteer work.

A child in need ---------------------------------------------A worried mother with her fixed up, gooder than new, baby.

Ah, the beauty and the beast.

These Doctors, Nurses, Technicians, and certainly the patients and their families, thank you for your support.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Oh bless them. This is a worthy cause and I'm glad it's getting some attention.

Thanks Bruce.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Those doctors and volunteers must have a lot of money to do what they're doing. We should raise taxes on rich people like them!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, they only need a couple weeks off from work. The organization pays the expenses.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
hipshot
Enlarged to show texture

BRAVO TO YOU LARRY AND TO YOUR PARTNERS!!!! Showing the world a little love by fixing their kids can only be good...
Old 03-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

See.... there IS good on this planet.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
No, they only need a couple weeks off from work. The organization pays the expenses.
Although your friend may be compensated for their expenses, many people who do this are not. They volunteer not only their time, but in some cases the materials and are not compensated for lost work or use their own vacation time.
Regardless, I applaud any and all of them that do this type of work/volunteering. Many of them go to very distant places and are at personal risk while doing so.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

My feelings exactly, Classic. I'm sure there are people in other professions who use their wealth for good, and who don't publicize it. Our employees in Washington think they should raise their taxes, because the government can do a better job. Apart from waging war, I can't think of a thing that private enterprise can't do better than government.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

That's quite a talent - operate on just one small face, but put a smile on faces around the world. Good job, people!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudcon View Post
Those doctors and volunteers must have a lot of money to do what they're doing. We should raise taxes on rich people like them!

WHAT? Aren't the Doctors volunteers too? Why must they have a lot of money? And why should they do it quietly? the more people who know about it, the more money will be donated, the more kids will be helped....

I think it's a great program, particularly as it focuses on a problem that is often not literally life-threatening, but pretty much ensures the kids will have no chance to escape their poverty unless the freak-show is hiring. And it trains local physicians to take over when they leave. Excellent.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, everyone is volunteering their time and expertise. No one is being compensated for time off from work. I don't know where in hell Classic got that from. The equipment and air travel is provided by Operation Smile.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #12
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Although your friend may be compensated for their expenses, many people who do this are not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I don't know where in hell Classic got that from.
Read my post Bruce - I was talking from my personal experience and I clearly stated that I was NOT talking about your friend. I was talking about other health care professionals.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well I was talking about Operation Smile.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #14
classicman

lol - I got that. I really didn't mean to offend or detract from this at all.