Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-10-2006, 01:28 PM   #61
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Isn't this the administration whose adherents are doing everything they can to deprive people like you of your rights?
Depends which rights and which "people like you" you're talking about. I was never invited to the Clinton White House either...but I certainly felt the effects of the Clinton Gun Ban directly.

After DADT and DOMA the Dems have no cred with me on "gay rights"...in fact anybody they sell victimhood to is forgotten the moment the voting is over. Their latest food source is illegal aliens.

I always feel so warmly patronized by "people like you" who offer to explain to "people like me" what's in our political interests.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #62
Flint
Snowflake

Haven't you heard? God hates you! That would worry me.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:33 PM   #63
Pangloss62
Lecturer

people like you

Whoa, Elspode!

Does Maggie live in a log cabin?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:41 PM   #64
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
I suppose the fact that we found all those WMDs has made us a little safer, but...what? There weren't any?
I'd check with the Syrians before I was sure I had the right answer to that question. Either as you say there weren't any left (and Saddam himself may have been fooled on that one), or he managed to get them all to his Baath brothers across the border just in time.

I just remeber what he did with his Air Force when invasion seemed imminent the first time around...and he didn't even *like* the Iranians. Whereas the Syrians were his buddies.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #65
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
Haven't you heard? God hates you! That would worry me.
I can handle my relationship with God on my own, thanks. It's the Islamofacists that worry me.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #66
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
I can handle my relationship with God on my own, thanks.
Irrelevant. Your relationship with God isn't in question. You're dodging the issue.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #67
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
It's the Islamofacists that worry me.
Take a look in your own backyard. You are a walking "hot button issue" . . .

Old 08-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #68
MaggieL

Quote:
Take a look in your own backyard. You are a walking "hot button issue" . . .
I can handle not being invited to the White House and not being able to marry my lifepartner if I can keep my guns and not have a stone wall pushed over on me. Notice that even Fred "God Hates Fags" Phelps has never shown up at a scheduled demonstration where the Pink Pistols had announced an intention to attend.

Don't lecture me about my backyard, son, I know where it is and who's in it. See "people like you" above. Note also that last month I was on one of the planes that was to be blown up this month.

Last edited by MaggieL; 08-10-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #69
Flint
Snowflake

Fair enough. Pick your battles, I guess. If you are comfortable having to defend your right to exist by carrying a gun with you everywhere you go, then more power to you. If you feel better about not being blown up by a Muslim who believes you are abhorrent in the eyes of Allah, because you are being protected by a Christian who thinks you are abhorrent in the eyes of God, then who am I to point out that both of them feel the same way about you?

Last edited by Flint; 08-10-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #70
MaggieL

Quote:
...who am I to point out that both of them feel the same way about you?
You're certainly not pointing out anything I don't know. I can't make a homophobe not hate me, and I don't care to try. (Which is one program the Dems are trying to sell with pointless "hate crime laws", by the way). My concern is with actions and capabilities, not feelings; a "hate crime" is defined by the state of mind of the perpetrator. Since we're all such Orwell fans: thoughtcrime, anyone?

I don't have to defend my right to exist by being an armed citizen, but I do choose to do so; it's my right and I won't give it up. Trading my birthright for the liberal's mess of pottage won't change the threats I face one whit. And homophobes aren't even at the top of my threat list; criminals who should be in prison but aren't rank much higher.

Should I really not feel better about being protected than about being blown up? Those are your words there...

Last edited by MaggieL; 08-10-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #71
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Daily War News

Quote:
...what is proving itself more and more every day to be a victory of American arms and a vindication of American ideals.
DAILY WAR NEWS FOR THURSDAY, August 10, 2006

A suicide bomber detonated a belt of explosives near a revered Shiite shrine in southern Iraq, killing at least 35 people and injuring 122: The bomber blew himself up while being patted down by police near the Imam Ali mosque in the Shiite holy city of Najaf, said Dr. Munthir al-Ithari, the head of the city's health directorate.

Shiite religious leaders in Najaf accused Sunni loyalists of former dictator Saddam Hussein of carrying out the attack. "We hold Takfiris (Sunni extremists) and Saddamists directly responsible for this horrible crime ... at the same time we hold those who embrace terrorism in Iraq and the countries supporting it as responsible," the statement said.

The Iraqi army said the death toll was 35, with 122 injured.

Prime Minister Nouri al-Mailiki, a Shiite, denounced the bombing as a "barbaric massacre conducted by Takfiris (Sunni extremists) and Saddamists who are seeking to inflame sectarian" passions. A statement by the collective Shiite leadership also issued a similar condemnation.

A Sunni insurgent group, Jamaat Jund al-Sahaba, or Soldiers of the Prophet's Companions, claimed responsibility for the bombing in an Internet posting. It warned Shiites to stop killing unarmed Sunnis, "otherwise wait for such operations that will shake your regions like earthquakes."

Two Iranian pilgrims were martyred and nine others wounded in an explosion Thursday morning in the Iraqi holy city of Najaf, an Iraqi health official told IRNA today.

Iran has called for foreign troops to leave Iraq following a deadly bombing near one of Shiite Islam's holiest shrines in the southern city of Najaf.

"The only way to create security in Iraq is to end the occupation by foreigners who have so far failed to bring about security," foreign ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi was quoted as saying by the official news agency IRNA.

The bodies of the two missing servicemen from a US Blackhawk helicopter that crashed in a waterway in western Iraq have been recovered, the military said Thursday.

OTHER SECURITY INCIDENTS

Baghdad:

Four people were killed and five wounded when fighting broke out late Wednesday between gunmen and residents of a Shiite community in north Baghdad, police Lt. Salim Ali said. Sporadic clashes were continuing, he said.

Six people were killed by a bomb in a restaurant in southern Baghdad.

Seven police commandos including a senior officer were killed in a rebel ambush in Baghdad.

Five people were found murdered in Baghdad.

Baiji:

A U.S. soldier was wounded when his vehicle was struck by a roadside bomb near Baiji, 180 km (112 miles) north of Baghdad, the U.S. military said in a statement.

Muqdadiya:

A brother of Sunni legislator Mudhhir al-Saadoun was shot dead by gunmen in his car in Muqdadiya, 90 km (50 miles) northeast of Baghdad.

Mosul:

Gunmen killed one civilian in Mosul, 390 km (240 miles) north of Baghdad.

Kirkuk:

Two policemen were killed and a third injured in a bomb attack targeting their vehicle south of Kirkuk.

The Multi-National Forces (MNF) said one of their soldiers was injured in a bomb attack west of Kirkuk.

Baqubah:

Four policemen were killed and seven wounded in a mortar attack and roadside bomb in Baquba, 65 km (40 miles) north Baghdad.

Hawija:

A roadside bomb aimed at a police patrol exploded in Hawija, southwest of Kirkuk, killing two policemen and critically wounding two others.

Fallujah:

A policeman was shot dead in Falluja.

Haditha:

An explosive charge detonated near a passing Iraqi army patrol on the main road west of Haditha town late Wednesday, killing ten soldiers and wounding five others, local residents told Xinhua on condition of anonymity. The blast, which destroyed a truck carrying the soldiers, was followed by a 15-minute fighting between soldiers and unknown gunmen, they said, adding more Iraqi and U.S. forces blocked the area searching for the attackers. There was no immediate U.S. and Iraqi military comment.

In country:

New Zealand Mercenary Dies In Iraq Blast: Te Ina Marokura Ngamata, 37, died when his truck transporting workers was bombed in an attack on Tuesday night.

Mr Ngamata was employed by international security firm Armourgroup, the same company that employed six Fijian security guards killed in insurgent attacks on transport convoys since April.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:04 PM   #72
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss62
DAILY WAR NEWS FOR THURSDAY, August 10, 2006
Well, that was an uplifting read.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:06 PM   #73
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Well, that was an uplifting read.
Yes, now let's review the violent crime for Democratically-controlled US cities. Starting with New Orleans and DC.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #74
glatt

Quote:
Yes, now let's review the violent crime for Democratically-controlled US cities. Starting with New Orleans and DC.
Why those two? Because the mayors are black?

Why not start with Arlington, Virginia, which is also Democratically controlled?

Edit: You aren't cherrypicking your samples, like a Washington Post image caption writer with satellite images of Beruit, are you?

Last edited by glatt; 08-10-2006 at 04:24 PM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #75
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Patronizing? Sorry, didn't mean it that way. Most people who are actively being discriminated against by their own governments seem to frequently take umbrage at that fact. You are indeed a rare bird, Maggie. And, for the record, as a Pagan person, I don't exclude myself from being "people like..." etc.

After the Republo-Christian takeover of the US is complete, let us know how the fight to keep from being reeducated goes for you, okay? Or are you planning to just shoot your way to glory? 'Cause if you think that Christofascists are gonna be any better than Islamofascists, I'd think again. Read your history books. Start with the Catholic Church and work your way forward. I'd also read up on what happens to armed resistance groups in this country when the Feds get a burr under their saddle about people's ideas of "freedom" when it differs from their own. It might help you plan. Here's a hint: make sure you buy the guns and ammo in lots of different places spread out across the country so that the locals don't know you've got 'em.