The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 10-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #1
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Planning trips

How early do you plan out of town trips? There are a couple places I want to visit next year and I found a Bed & Breakfast I like in one of them. I kind of want to book it now, but I am thinking it might be too early. I was planning to go in May, but possible October.

There is also a trip in June I am planning to take. And I have two cities in the Northwest I want to visit, too.

Is there such a thing as too early?

PS - this is completely unrelated to the previous thread I posted about travelling. These are places/trips I was already planning on taking next year.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
glatt

It depends on the location. If you are going to a small village on the coast, and it only has one place to stay, it is already too late for May. If you are going to Vegas, you can just show up without a reservation and get a room that night.

You really have to know the location.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
glatt

And let me expand on that a little bit. I generally go to small out of the way places because I live in the city and want to get away from them. I book rooms at least 6 months in advance, and I've booked some rooms a year and a half in advance.

For my last vacation, to Nova Scotia, we stayed in little coastal villages, and I lined up rooms in February for a visit in August. Space was already limited at that point and we didn't always get our first choice.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
bbro

Thanks. I am going to Asheville, NC and Portland, OR and Seattle, WA

I know for Asheville, I want to go in the fall since it's the mountains and trees, etc. But the summer would be acceptable, too. The only thing I need is a hotel since it is a driveable distance

Portland and Seattle, I have no clue when would be best. I just have always wanted to see them.

I do wonder if I am over doing it and should just do Asheville and Portland this year. And of course the beach, but that's not up to me where we go and stay, so I am ignoring that one - lol
Old 10-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
Thanks. I am going to Asheville, NC and Portland, OR and Seattle, WA

I know for Asheville, I want to go in the fall since it's the mountains and trees, etc. But the summer would be acceptable, too. The only thing I need is a hotel since it is a driveable distance

Portland and Seattle, I have no clue when would be best. I just have always wanted to see them.

I do wonder if I am over doing it and should just do Asheville and Portland this year. And of course the beach, but that's not up to me where we go and stay, so I am ignoring that one - lol
I was just in Asheville. That's the home of Sierra Nevada brewing. We started back north on the Blue ridge parkway there, after visiting my dad in Charlotte. Nice place, from what I saw.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
glatt

If you like chocolate, you will have a good time in Ashville.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I'm in Seattle. You should contact me.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #8
monster
I hear them call the tide

Never. But we don't mind staying in dives/camping/commuting and the accommodation is just a tool. We'd rather not be tied down. ...and we mostly blag tent space off dwellars I the vicinity
Old 10-23-2015, 10:26 PM   #9
Pamela
Deplorable

I plan trips on the moment, but my goals are different than yours.

I'll be through Asheville tomorrow, on my way to Charlotte, then back through as I return to Louisville. I'll wave!
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
If you like chocolate, you will have a good time in Ashville.
I love chocolate! What good places include chocolate in Asheville?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #11
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I'm in Seattle. You should contact me.
I think we now have a direct flight to Seattle. I will definitely keep you in mind when I start planning that trip Thanks!
Old 01-06-2016, 12:59 PM   #12
bbro

Well, I've booked my trip to Asheville for October (apparently their busiest month).

I am staying at a B&B about a mile form downtown. I plan on doing a self guided Artisan tour they offer. Most likely on the way out so I can buy stuff and just put it in the car.

I want to do some hiking. Saturday morning I am thinking of signing up for a group. I also want to do some solo so I can take my time and take pictures. I still need to research trails for that.

The day I get there, I can't check in until 4pm, so I am probably going to the Biltmore Estate and wander the gardens. I've already done the house, so I am not interested in that. I will probably get lunch somewhere in Biltmore Village.

I want to do a bit of a bar crawl by myself Saturday or Sunday night with places downtown. It will depend on what's open what days. I figure Sunday may not be as busy as Saturday would be.

As the day gets closer, I will plan exactly the places I am going. Since I am on my own, I will be able to schedule it all to my liking

SO EXCITED!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #13
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
I love chocolate! What good places include chocolate in Asheville?
I don't remember, but there is an independent chocolate place right downtown. Can't miss it. They serve all sorts of chocolate foods and beverages.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:59 AM   #14
Charliedavid
Person Who Has Posted

If anyone wants to see one of the wonders of the world "The Taj Mahal" along with Heaven on earth "Kashmir" then you should visit India. We welcome you in our country. We also provide car rental services to visit these glorious places.
Charliedavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:57 PM   #15
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I don't remember, but there is an independent chocolate place right downtown. Can't miss it. They serve all sorts of chocolate foods and beverages.
I must visit! I'm an hour drive away from Ashville.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote