The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

1/9/2006: Dog fight

Sad one today. xoB/WaPo gets us this shot of a dogfight in Kabul, Afghanistan, where apparently this remains a lively hobby.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
mrnoodle
bent

I guess it's a real sign of my evilness/callousness/whatever, but for some reason that picture doesn't elicit an emotional response in me at all. I feel bad in a remote way for the dogs because they're bloodied. But are they being truly abused? Any more than a professional boxer is abused? Common sense tells me that sure, they probably are. But look at the drugs, the physical beating, the long-term neurological effects of boxing.

Holes galore in my theory, I know. But the dogfighting thing has never really triggered my animal protection instinct (and yes, I have one).
Old 01-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Boxers choose to fight. boxers wear big thick gloves and mouth guards and get paid lots of money. The dont get limbs torn off, repeatedly bitten, and often die.. for nothing. Worse than nothing.

Look at these men in the shot.. shadows of men. pathetic. I hope one day the dogs turn on them.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I would be WAY more entertained if the guys watching were fighting. Talk about pass the buck.

Contraversial......to say the least.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

please correct my spelling.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #6
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

The photo shows two more dogs in the background ready to fight. They are sick people and yes I agree let the coward men fight and we'll happily watch them pull each other apart and draw blood. Makes me sad.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Totally fucked up. People can be such assholes.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #8
busterb
NSABFD

[quote=
Holes galore in my theory, I know. But the dogfighting thing has never really triggered my animal protection instinct (and yes, I have one).[/QUOTE]
1st some dogs won't fight. Most dogs won't fight a bitch dog. My house dog will catch a cat, squrrel, rat or what ever. But won't fight another dog. She keeps them off my place though. I see a some replys from downunder. Do You think it was right years ago when a litter of pups were put it with sheep and the ones that didn't show any interest in sheep were took by hind legs and slammed on a fence post. Hey I love dogs and have had them as long as I can remember. I've never been to a paid dog fight, rooster or a chicken squat

Last edited by busterb; 01-09-2006 at 08:43 PM. Reason: stupid
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:32 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think they need more electronic toys, TVs, PCs and whorehouses.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:02 PM   #10
gaidin
Complex Simpleton

there are more important things in the world to be offended and worried about than dog fights. and i know people gonna say i'm not being sympathetic but i am. i don't think it should happen but there are worse things.
gaidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:12 AM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'll put $10 on the gold ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:18 AM   #12
VinDurzle
no excuse for being obtuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Sparkz
Boxers choose to fight. boxers wear big thick gloves and mouth guards and get paid lots of money. The dont get limbs torn off, repeatedly bitten, and often die.. for nothing. Worse than nothing.

Look at these men in the shot.. shadows of men. pathetic. I hope one day the dogs turn on them.

Hmmm Shadows of men - hardly surprising after Russian and subsequent Taliban cultural opression. Pathetic - an interesting way to describe one of the greatest warrior races on the face of the planet.
VinDurzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:34 AM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinDurzle
Hmmm Shadows of men - hardly surprising after Russian and subsequent Taliban cultural opression. Pathetic - an interesting way to describe one of the greatest warrior races on the face of the planet.
Yeah, Sun Sparkz got it right. They are pathetic shadows of men. The world doesn't need warrior races. What was it Ghandi said..."The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated"...something like that.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:18 AM   #14
smithgr
Aggregate Aggravator

Are you sure this isn't Detroit, Michigan?
smithgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #15
VinDurzle
no excuse for being obtuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Yeah, Sun Sparkz got it right. They are pathetic shadows of men. The world doesn't need warrior races. What was it Ghandi said..."The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated"...something like that.
Who said the world needed them - Im just suggesting that they deserve a little more respect than being written off for a pass time that is tradition.

The Afghan has many such traditions - beheaded calves are fought over on horse back and quails fight to the death.

I suggest your opinion of the men reflects only your personal feelings regarding their persuits not a true representation of the individuals portrayed.

Tradition alone is no justification for the acts in progress, however dogs fight, life goes on.

As for Judging a country by how it treats its animals, hats off to Ghandi - How can you judge a country by the actions of individuals at large within its boundaries? We are all responisble for our own actions.
VinDurzle is offline   Reply With Quote