The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 02-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #1
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Going to Portland, OR!

Yep. Title says it all. First trip of 2017 and I picked the worst time to go to Portland. Rain forcasted for every day - lol. I am taking extra clothes, shoes, big ass umbrella, etc and going on with my plans for hiking and garden tours. I'll have pictures for you when I get back, you know it. I can't wait!
Old 02-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Have fun! You may find rain forecast every day but it doesn't rain all day, just now and then during the day.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #3
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Have fun! You may find rain forecast every day but it doesn't rain all day, just now and then during the day.
Yea, I think only 1 day is 60% chance. I figure if I have everything, it won't rain at all Plus, in a city like Portland, I doubt many things are cancelled because of rain
Old 02-13-2017, 08:55 PM   #4
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Not gonna be cold, probably. But it's gonna be wet, probably. Layers, with a wind/waterproof shell on the outside, you'll pass for a local.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:20 AM   #5
bbro

Ok - it's gonna be cold for a southerner :P The warmest it will be is 50 when I fly in. The rest of the time, it will be in the upper 40s.

I have a shell I am taking. Probably a hoodie or two. Definitely sweaters. Scarf. Hat. Maybe gloves if I can find any.

My wardrobe is going to be mostly yoga pants and workout pants. My aim is for comfort - lol. I'm not going anywhere fancy and I don't think there's many places with a dress code.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Portland loves Giraffes.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Flying?
Quote:
“Up front, the pilots will don their own masks and commence a rapid descent to an altitude no higher than 10,000 feet,” he continues. “If the emergency descent feels perilously fast, this isn’t because the plane is crashing: it’s because the crew is doing what’s it’s supposed to do.”..

According to Airbus, if a plane loses pressure at 40,000 feet, those on board have as little as 18 seconds of “useful consciousness” without supplemental oxygen...

...what you’re supplied isn’t exactly oxygen – nor is it not compressed air in the scuba diving sense. Oxygen tanks are heavy and bulky so aircraft use a more complicated system. The panel above each seat actually contains a cocktail of chemicals that, when burned, release oxygen. They might include barium peroxide, a fine white powder used in fireworks, sodium chlorate, more commonly used as a weedkiller, and potassium chlorate, a staple of school science lab experiments (it reacts violently with sugar).

Tug the mask, like you’re told in the demonstration, and the chemical process starts. Once it starts, it cannot be stopped until everything’s burned up (around 12-15 minutes...).

This is important:
Do not expect the bag to inflate. Passengers have reportedly suffered hypoxia after believing their mask was broken because the bag wasn’t inflating, prompting them to remove it. Hence the warning given during every safety briefing.

“Oxygen is supplied in a constant flow,” explained a BA spokesman. “The bag does not inflate like a respirator bag used in a medical theatre. How full it gets depends on an individual's rate of breathing. If the rate of breathing is very quick, air is inhaled at a faster rate and so the bag will inflate less. If all the air isn't inhaled, some will remain in the bag, partially inflating it.”

The oxygen generator can also get extremely hot – so don’t touch it – and passengers may even notice a burning smell (so don’t be alarmed).
Link
Old 02-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #8
bbro

Got this instead

Name:  Eyeball Hat.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  143.1 KB
Old 02-15-2017, 09:35 PM   #9
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
Got this instead

Attachment 59400
I love your Googly Eyed Squid Hat!!

Old 02-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #10
bbro

Wow - that is a close up. Sorry!!

Also - Bruce, what the fuck is wrong with you?? Seriously, why would you post that when you know someone is going to be flying?? It's not funny or amusing in any way.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm not, you have a mischievous grin.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
Also - Bruce, what the fuck is wrong with you?? Seriously, why would you post that when you know someone is going to be flying?? It's not funny or amusing in any way.
Because it might save your fucking life. Knowing what to do in an emergency, because nobody pays attention to the flight attendants, makes a difference. It doesn't have to be a crash, there are many ways the cabin can lose pressure and it takes time for the pilot to react and get the plane down to a safe altitude under 10,000 feet, often more than 18 seconds. Everyone who flies should know how to used the mask. You're welcome.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

That giraffe is a killer!!

Name:  killer.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  26.9 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:26 PM   #14
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Do they still have those one dollar flight insurance machines? Just wondering.

tarheel
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:28 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think they did away with them when I was still flying a lot, and that was long ago.