The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 08-04-2001, 10:41 PM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

In the crowd

Driving 32 miles back and forth from work each day gives me lots of time to think...

And so I was thinking about all the bands I've seen in concert during my lifetime. And I'm curious to hear some of the responses from this group, given the diversity of the people here.

So, here's my list:

Depeche Mode (twice)
Ministry
Smashing Pumpkins
The Reverend Horton Heat (eight times)
Barry Manilow (twice)
Tony Bennett
Aretha Franklin
Tom Jones
St. Louis Symphony Orchestra (twice)
Stabbing Westward
Poe
Atari Teenage Riot
Grant Lee Buffalo
The Cows
The Mimis
Reacharound
Face to Face
The Nixons
Toadies
Hank Williams III
Dancehall Crashers
The Amazing Crowns
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
H20
Pietasters
Pearl Jam
The Flaming Lips
Stone Temple Pilots
Butthole Surfers (twice)
The Urge
Fragile Porcelain Mice
Rage Against the Machine
Babes in Toyland
Tool
A Lighter Shade of Brown
Front 242
Dinosaur Jr.
Arrested Development
Alice in Chains
Primus
Fishbone
Ozomatli
Jazzfatnastees
Collective Soul
Sarah McLachlan
The Chieftains
Ron Sexsmith

There are some other ones I've seen that were openers for the Reverend Horton Heat...but I don't remember...probably b/c I was drunk.

Oh, and there was the band I fronted by the name of Sycamore.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 11:56 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

<i>Barry Manilow (twice)</i>

Lessee, you're not a woman so... what IS your excuse?

<i>Tom Jones</i>

The thing about Tom Jones is that he's one of the coolest guys that's ever lived, and remains cool to today. He goes on talk shows, it's like this aura of cool comes in, out-cools everyone around him, and shimmers out with him when he leaves.

<i>Fishbone</i>

That MUST have been nuts!

My list is just as "late 80s" as yours is "late 90s".

Three Dog Night (I was 9)
Asia (twice) (no excuse)
The Cars
Chris DeBurgh ("Don't Pay the Ferryman")
Yes
Yo La Tengo
Devo
China Crisis
Innocence Mission (15 times)
Chris Isaak (twice) (only man cooler than T. Jones)
Dire Straits
A Flock of Seagulls
Modern English
Earthworks featuring Bill Bruford
Book of Love
Squeeze
Rush
The Church (four times)
Lloyd Cole (twice)
Jill Sobule
REM
Bryan Ferry
Simple Minds
Shriekback
BoDeans (twice)
Thomas Dolby
The The
Robyn Hitchcock
Adrian Belew (twice)
The dBs
Let's Active
Don Dixon and Marti Jones
Julian Cope
The Mighty Lemon Drops
The Smithereens
Jerry Harrison
10,000 Maniacs
They Might Be Giants
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 02:02 AM   #3
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps
Lessee, you're not a woman so... what IS your excuse? (referring to Barry Manilow)
I cut my teeth on mid-to-late 70s pop, as that's what my mom listened to--Elton John, the Carpenters, Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond, etc.
As a child, I loved Barry Manilow. It was the first show I ever saw--March 30, 1981. Granted, I moved away from that in my teenage years. However, having grown up a bit, I can say that Barry Manilow is one of the greatest pop songsters that there is. Not to mention, his ventures into new sounds (such as jazz and swing) have been great. I don't feel so ashamed now...*sniff*.

Quote:
The thing about Tom Jones is that he's one of the coolest guys that's ever lived, and remains cool to today. He goes on talk shows, it's like this aura of cool comes in, out-cools everyone around him, and shimmers out with him when he leaves.
He played at Fair St. Louis in 1995. My mom had been one of those crazy thirty-somethings that was throwing her panties at the guy in concert. I wasn't sure what to expect, given that this was a free show, but I was blown away. He roared through covers of "Hard to Handle" and "Are You Gonna Go My Way?" and I was amazed. This was around the time of his comeback pop album...and those songs were great as well. I was highly impressed. Not to mention, the movies he's been in (Mars Attacks!, Jerky Boys)...he just has that swagger. How could you NOT dig the guy?

Quote:
That MUST have been nuts! (Fishbone)
It was--Lollapalooza '93. The mosh pit was fierce, but they put on a hell of a show! Angelo Moore is a true frontman...he's just insane.

Interesting side note--a friend of mine went to see them when they were doing a tour with Biohazard in early 1994. The show was apparently phenomenal...and my friend still suffers from permanent hearing damage due to that show.

Quote:
My list is just as "late 80s" as yours is "late 90s".
Actually, more like mid-90s...most of those shows I saw from 1993-96. Although it's funny...the shows I've seen in the past 3 years have probably been the best ones I've seen. Ministry (St. Louis, 1999) was 7 years waiting. Depeche Mode (Chicago, 1998) was 4 years waiting. And Ozomatli (St. Louis, 1999) was the most fun I have ever had at a show.

That's a great list though...it would make my gf jealous...she's a huge 80s nut. I can remember watching "120 Minutes" in the late 80s as a pre-teen and wondering two things: "What the f**k is this?!" and "Wow! Why isn't this on the radio?"
Old 08-05-2001, 02:05 AM   #4
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

I think I've got a pretty impressive list considering I'm 16

Mighty Might Bosstones
Fuel
Deftones
Warrant
Poison
Quiet Riot
Live
BuckCherry
The Berlin Project
AFN
Slick Olde Bishops
Distorted Penguin
Barenaked Ladies
The Flys
Dave Matthews Band (upwards of 6 times)
Mest
New Found Glory
Blink 182
Fat Tony
Body Jar
Stone temple Pilots
Orgy
Liars Inc (These guys are fuckin' great, whatever happened to them?)
Sleeping Giants (If you're ever in the Plum Borough area, go to a place called John Anthony's; Their ex-guitarist plays there, and he is the best in the tri-county area, three years running)
The Clarks
The Gathering Field
Green Day
Agnostic Front (there aren't words....)
The Offspring
Lenny Kravitz

Plus countless other local bands, cover bands, and little club shows I don't remember.

And syc, you're definitely right about angelo....those guys are on par with Dave Matthews and the Dead as jam bands, and he's definitely the coolest frontman since Lemmy.

Last edited by alphageek31337; 08-05-2001 at 02:11 AM.
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 03:31 AM   #5
jaguar
whig

Damnit you americans are frigging lucky - we get buggar all bands down here i swear - only gone to big day out which gets a few big names and a 'gurge concert, oh wait, and a snog one, and an augie march one......ok not *as* bad
the last two a small melbourne bands that me and my friends think rock, i cna link to a few mp3s if you want. Snog is an anti-corperate band but tehy do all sorts of inductral techno/lyirics stuff its imporrible to explainbut fantastic to lsiten to
my fav quote "hey christian god, get outa my face, your ugly ghost is a curse on the human race"

But i do go to alot of clubbing events..
Old 08-05-2001, 02:36 PM   #6
mbpark
Lecturer

I've seen a few...not too many though...

Here's my list:

Moby
Primus (2x)
Ween
Goo Goo Dolls (they're not too cool)
Barenaked Ladies
Josh Wink
A large amount of hardcore bands...most names I cannot remember
Guns 'N Roses (Vegas this year)

Soon to see this summer/fall:
Tool
Fantomas
Deftones
Slash's Snakepit
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 03:24 PM   #7
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Top Ten List:

The Rolling Stones (twice)
B.B. King (4 times)
The Grateful Dead (14 times)
George Thorogood and the Destroyers (3 times. I like George, even if he did drop "Delaware" from the name.)
Sarah McLachlan (Birthday present for someone else)
Van Halen (My first concert. 1980)
Chris LeDoux and the Saddle Boogie Band (4 times)
Duran Duran
Dar Williams
The Talking Heads (twice)
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 08:19 PM   #8
elSicomoro

The Ones That Got Away

Unfortunately, two bands that I always wanted to see (Nirvana and Soundgarden) I will never get to see...unless Soundgarden decides to reform, which seems unlikely at this point. Talking Heads would have been a good one too...and a reunion of those 4 seems extremely unlikely as well.

I would have liked to have seen Area: One, particularly for Moby and Outkast. I hope it is able to pick up where Lollapalooza went wrong.

I would love to see Pantera, but I have crowd concerns over that one.

I can't think of any other shows I'd like to see in the future at this point, but if Dave rejoins Van Halen, I am SO there!
Old 08-05-2001, 11:58 PM   #9
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Okay, given how rarely I attend concerts AND that most of these were either to chaperone/join someone else or when I was a kid, I'm about to seriously embarrass myself.

But here goes anyway:

Kenny Rogers, at least twice
(I forget how many times I saw him when I was in single-digit years, attending with my father.)
Debbie Gibson
(Someone had to chaperone my younger sister. I'll give her this, I hated the music but she was quite the entertainer in her day.)
Bricklin
(West Chester University, where I saw a lot more comedians than bands over the years.)
Beru Ha Ha
(Alibi's, in West Chester, which is called something else now. I was too young for Beru Revue.)
Moody Blues
(My dad's birthday present one year.)
Dead Milkmen (solo), a couple of times
Mojo Nixon (solo), at least twice
Dead Milkmen/Mojo Nixon/Cavedogs triple bill
King Missile
(All four in Raleigh, NC, in my college years. Nothing quite like watching Mojo's keyboard player simulating sodomy with an inflatable sheep.)
Stephen Lynch
(In Williamsport, at a local college up there. Great guitar-playing comedian.)
John "Dr. Dirty" Valby, four times
(Once at the 23 East, once at the Big Kahuna in Wilmington, twice upstate, and why can't anyone book this bastard closer to Philly?)

And that's all I can think of, off the top of my head. Pity me.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 12:04 AM   #10
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Okay, I _almost_ got to see Fishbone.

The Wolfstock festival at NC State had Fishbone as the featured band one year. I couldn't attend for some personal reasons (as that was the ONLY year they had bands that were in the least bit appealing), though I did get roped into trying to interview Dirty Looks for the college paper (the hairy freaks blew me off).

I didn't miss much, though. Fishbone blew onto stage with "Freddy's Dead," the mosh pit started, and the campus security immediately stopped the concert and sent everyone home because they felt that the pit endangered the safety of the crowd.

Oh, yeah, add: New Potato Caboose, in Raleigh. Great name, ehhh band.

Also saw a talented MD band called Last Picture Show on the boardwalk of Ocean City, Maryland once, come to think of it. They were right there on the side of the boardwalk and blowing the crowd away. Good stuff.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 07:47 PM   #11
elSicomoro

A few I forgot

I happened to write all these down while I was at work Saturday...and found my original list. I forgot about:

Buju Banton
Wailing Souls
The Romantics
St. Stephen's Blues
Celtic Connection

Now in the neighborhood of people I could have seen, but either didn't have the money, or was too lazy to go:

--Chuck Berry (still performs once a month in St. Louis)
--Wayne Newton
--Tony Orlando
--Roy Clark
--Andy Williams
(these 4 have theatres in Branson, MO and perform regularly, except for Clark who recently retired)
--Buddy Guy (was at his club in Chicago on a couple of occasions I was in Chicago)

And to add to the list of people I'd like to see:

Prince
B.B. King
Herbie Hancock
Clark Terry
Old 08-07-2001, 01:30 AM   #12
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Syc

You *need* to see buddy guy. If you're too lazy/broke, fire yourself up with a cup of coffee and sell your kidney. If you appreciate good music (especially if you appreciate good guitar) this man will make your head explode. I've only seen videos, and they were incredible.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 04:11 AM   #13
jaguar
whig

Blodoy hell i feel very left out *laughz
Anyone else here a clubber?
Old 08-07-2001, 07:18 PM   #14
elSicomoro

Sorry Jag...I was only a semi-clubber in my heyday. I haven't been to a rave since 1993...and that was before it was cool...and before X was overly popular here in the States. I haven't been to a club in about 3 years. Well, actually, I DID see the Reverend at the 930 Club in Washington, which is actually a real club, although not one with pulsing lights, mind-numbing techno, and glowsticks.

Sometimes, I think about it...and I wouldn't mind going to a club again...but then I think about the ones here in Philadelphia (and these are supposedly some of the best in the country...and I'm sure they are), and all I think about is the "meat market."

My fiance on the other hand is a self-professed club whore, although this is about 10 years removed now. She hung out at all the clubs in Baltimore and Washington in the late 80s and early 90s, particularly Tracks in DC and the Hippo in Baltimore.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:12 PM   #15
Kris
Drawn Druid

Billy Joel (x2)
Pink Floyd [Dave Gilmour version] (x2)
Roger Waters (x4)
Dave Matthews (x2)
Alman Bro's
Aerosmith (x2)
Fuel
3 Doors Down
Oleander
The Wallflowers
Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band (x5)
Double Trouble
Metallica
R.E.M.
Collective Soul
Bare Jr. (won the tickets on WMMR)
Creed (x2)
Rage Against the Machine
KoRN
Page and Plant (x2)
Robert Plant (solo)
Days of the New (x2)
311 (x2)
Santana
BB-King
Ozzfest (x3?... )

I also have another Aerosmith show coming up in September...

-kris

Last edited by Kris; 08-07-2001 at 09:17 PM.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote