The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-31-2002, 11:39 PM   #16
Nic Name
retired

Here's a Thai editorial regarding a similar incident last November that ended in tragedy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar

Man they really should use pics like this in anti-drug campains.
Like this one

Last edited by Nic Name; 08-31-2002 at 11:42 PM.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 01:15 AM   #17
Sawatdee
Neophyte-in-training

Thai teenagers on yaa ba

I used to be the teacher of the Thai student whose web site is mentioned above

"Confessions of a Teenage Drug Addict" http://www.thailandlife.com/drugs

He used to be a very intelligent young man who always got good grades for his exams. He was a shy student who never missed school and was liked by all the teachers. Everything changed for him when his girlfriend broke up with him on his 15th birthday. He started hanging around with the wrong crowd and soon found himself experimenting with yaa ba (crazy drugs).

In just a few weeks he had changed into a very different person. He became very thin and he had difficulty in partaking in an intelligent conversation. His attention span became very short and he was often irritable and angry lashing out at everyone around him. He thought everyone was out to get him and that he was all alone in the world.

One of the affects of taking yaa ba is that you have a lot of extra energy and that you won't need to sleep. This was exactly what he wanted at the weekend as he could be up all night with his friends for 2 or 3 days in a row. But, during the week he was finding it difficult to concentrate on school work. He never paid attention to the teacher and he often slept through classes. As a consequence he was thrown out of school.

Over the following few months he went through a succession of different drug rehabs who forced medicine down his throat to make him sick. No activities were offered to the "inmates" during the day and they were certainly not given any therapy. As a consequence he ran away and went back home.

For seven months he stayed at home until he started his new school. Everything seemed alright and by August he had been clean from drugs for at least six months. He even appeared on a US Fox Network show on drugs saying that he would never go back on yaa ba. Then a few weeks ago, for reasons no-one knows yet, he went back on yaa ba. He has now run away from home and he hasn't been heard from since. The story continues...

Yes, yaa ba does give you extra energy but it also plays around with your mind. It does make you do irrational things - things you would never dream about doing when you are clean from drugs. It is called "crazy drug" for a very good reason. This once very intelligent student will never ever be the same again.

The message he gives on his web site is very clear. "Yaa ba" is extremely addictive - even after one session you will be hooked.

A series of interviews he did last year while he was on drugs can be downloaded for free from his web site:

http://www.thailandlife.com/drugs
Sawatdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 02:09 AM   #18
juju
no one of consequence

Did you actually type all of this yourself just now, or did you just copy-and-paste it from something you had written previously?

Last edited by juju; 09-01-2002 at 02:12 AM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 02:18 AM   #19
Sawatdee
Neophyte-in-training

reply to "juju"

No, I just typed it now. Why, did I make a lot of spelling mistakes?
Old 09-01-2002, 02:26 AM   #20
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: reply to "juju"

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawatdee
No, I just typed it now. Why, did I make a lot of spelling mistakes?
No...it is well-written for the most part, especially if you did it off-the-cuff.

Pay no mind to Juju...he's just suspicious of new folks.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 02:38 AM   #21
Sawatdee
Neophyte-in-training

reply to "sycamore"

Thanks. It is a story I am very familiar with as I have seen quite a few of my A1 students waste their lives on yaa ba. It is very frustrating when there isn't much we can do. However, the young student in this story has been willing to use himself as an example to show other Thai students (and people in other countries too) how easy it is to become addicted and how much it changes your life.
Old 09-01-2002, 04:03 AM   #22
jaguar
whig

Interesting site, Interesting info. Silly use of tabs of E in the top graphic. E != Crystal meth
End rant.

Man we're collectively suspicious of newcomers, cellar is like the virtual equilavent of some redneck dude toting a shotgun going "we don't like strangers round these 'ere parts"

Last edited by jaguar; 09-01-2002 at 04:06 AM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 11:43 AM   #23
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well the next round of ads is going to take place in a few days, so expect a bunch of new folks to wander in.

And, welcome, Sawatdee.

When I was in college, way back when, I knew two guys who snorted crystal meth to study. They were both pre-med which was such an intense program that they had to study a lot of the time, and sometimes they would use meth or caffeine to help out. One of them did OK, the other wound up in rehab and never made it to med school. He had excellent grades, but couldn't get recommendations because he was a flaming asshole to many people.

It seems like addiction is like that - certain brains are unpredictable with certain drugs. I think with coke/crack, meth, and heroin, you basically have a 50-50 chance - either you get what you wanted, or you ruin your life. Person A does it, gets what they expected, and isn't compelled to do it again; person B does it and wakes up 15 years later wondering what happened.

That's why, if you must do drugs, smoke weed. This has been a public service announcement.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 04:28 PM   #24
jaguar
whig

In my year its not uncommon for students to use speed to keep studying before exams. Me? I just average around a gram or so of caffine a day.
Old 09-01-2002, 04:46 PM   #25
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
In my year its not uncommon for students to use speed to keep studying before exams. Me? I just average around a gram or so of caffine a day.
Well, you could do worse...one gram of caffeine is about 6 cups of coffee.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 05:40 PM   #26
juju
no one of consequence

I've been off of caffeine for a few weeks now. With my hypoglycemia, I MUST eat every 4 hours or i'll crash hard. Not being on caffeine seems to help that some.

I'm not sure if i'll stay off caffeine, though. I'm a very obessive person. I think I may I have that 'alcoholic' gene, though I've never drank alcohol. I normally drink coke <i>constantly</i>, though. I mean, I think I drink more soda than anyone I know. So it's quite a big step for me if I do decide to stay off of it.

Last edited by juju; 09-01-2002 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:16 PM   #27
Tobiasly
hot

I can't really say that I knew anyone who did meth in college, which is strange because I have pretty much witnessed first-hand the gamut of other types of drugs. One guy on my floor would try anything if he heard a rumor it would give him a buzz or trip.

He drank like a whole bottle of cough syrup one night because the dextromethorphan is supposed to give you a trip. Well, he never tripped but his stomach swelled up so big it looked like he swallowed a basketball.

I feel somewhat guilty, in retrospect, for egging him on. "Guys, I really don't think I can drink any more of this stuff." "C'mon Chad, you puss, you wanna trip don't ya??"
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 10:24 PM   #28
Nothing But Net
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad

That's why, if you must do drugs, smoke weed. This has been a public service announcement.
Of course there are many reasons I like you Tony, but this is a real fucking good one!
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 01:05 AM   #29
robi
Person Who Has Posted

Cough Syrup (DXM)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobiasly

He drank like a whole bottle of cough syrup one night because the dextromethorphan is supposed to give you a trip. Well, he never tripped but his stomach swelled up so big it looked like he swallowed a basketball.

He must have gotten the wrong type. There are hundreds of varieties of cough syrup, but only a couple contain the correct drug dextromethorphan (DXM) and don't contian 'other' chemicals such as gauifenesin, pseudoephedrine, antihistamines, Acetaminophen ( BAD!!), etc. Those other chemicals can have very dangerous effects if consumed in the quantities necessary to intake enough DXM for its psychedelic and dissociative properties to kick in.

Actually, the past few years have been a lot tougher to find 'pure' cough syrups, due to more people being aware of DXM's other effects.

Trust me, DXM, when used properly, gives you just about the strongest trip possible. Definately not a party drug, but one for very intense spiritual, physiological and self explorations. I've tried LSD, mushrooms, pot, and DXM has a much more intense trip than all of these combined. Kinda ironic, because DXM is easily available over the counter, compared to the illegals like LSD. I tripped with DXM about 20 times during a 2 year span (when I was 20-21), which brought many revealations and insights to myself. Especially when combined with a little bud smoking, the experience is completely out of this world: out-of-body experiences, rebirth experiences, exploring your conscious down to its inner core.

It is not an addictive drug, as the nature of its experience is not just a party thing like drinking, but almost a religious experience. (Provided that you treat it as such and don't abuse it.) I haven't done any drugs or drinking for a few years, but I continue to reflect upon the experiences and the thoughts it's given me. It's helped lead me on a different path thru life, becoming a successful modern artist and owning a profitable software corporation. It really helps you to think 'outside the box'. I'm not saying that DXM was the cause of all of that, it was the grace of God to shed His light on me and protect me, but the transcending experiences of that time of my life have had a huge impact on me.

More info on DXM:

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/faq/dxm_faq.shtml

I'm not advocating it's usage to anybody else, but just wanted to let you know that powerful things are possible from DXM. Don't treat it lightly!
robi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 01:47 AM   #30
juju
no one of consequence

People who do this are definitely playing with fire, though. If you don't know EXACTLY what you're doing, you could kill yourself.