The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #1621
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

funny...the one with 158 is my older account. It's a type of account that you can't get anymore.... one credit gets ANY book where with the current Platinum membership, some books cost 2 credits. The down side is that the credits don't roll over like they do with the new account types.....so I guess I've missed the boat quite a bit on that account.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #1622
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I have to say I havent actually come across any of the books that require two credits (yet).
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:07 AM   #1623
dacliff
Confounded Conjuror

Currently reading:

Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan

On the way:
Knife of Dreams
The Gathering Storm
dacliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #1624
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

oh dear...they just released book 12 of that series on audible.

it's been so long since book 11......
Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #1625
dacliff
Confounded Conjuror

That's why I'm re-reading the series.
dacliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #1626
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I didn't realize Jordan had carked it....

Quote:
The final volume of the Wheel of Time, A Memory of Light, was partially written by Robert Jordan before his untimely passing in 2007. Brandon Sanderson, New York Times best-selling author of the Mistborn books, was chosen by Jordan's editor - his wife, Harriet McDougal - to complete the final book. The scope and size of the volume was such that it could not be contained in a single book, and so Tor proudly presents The Gathering Storm as the first of three novels that will make up A Memory of Light.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #1627
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Yes, I was hopelessly lost with many of the references, especially to playwrights, actors, etc. As a nerd-child growing up in the 80s, my taste in reading material ran mostly towards American science fiction, leaving me very out of touch. I was similarly confused by a piece a friend of mine did on the life of Alistair Cooke a few months back.

I did pick up quite a bit about England, pre-WWII, from the Dorothy Sayers novels. It seemed like such a romantic period to me. I went so far as to buy and read "Conundrums for the Long Week-End: England, Dorothy L. Sayers, and Lord Peter Wimsey" to flesh out my understanding.

I'm heading back to the USA for my next book -- Boom!, Tom Brokaw.
Completely missed your reply, Pie.
I'm a Sayers fan as well. And yes, even I have to look things up. Not meaning I am in some way superior, just that as stated before I have more of a connection to the era.

I've just taken an armful of books back to the library and of course not written a review for a single one of them. Still, I expect to be fined - I'm sure some must have been late - so I'll review them as and when the titles come through An expensive way of reviewing! Just so much has been happening IRL...
Old 11-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #1628
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Relic - Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

Think Indiana Jones and the Scary Beast Loose in the Museum.
Stupid and contrived, don't waste teh bucks. Figured out the twist less than halfway through, kept waiting for the characters to have the lightbulb go on, must have been burned out.

The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Boyfriend's taking me to see the movie in the next couple of weeks, figured I'd read it to see what it's about. I usually like post-apocalyptic fiction, but I'm more of a Canticle for Leibowitz or Alas, Babylon, or even The Survivalist, kind of reader. This is pretentious stream of consciousness crap. The world's ended and he's using words like "palimpsest?" Oh, puh-leaz.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #1629
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

The Age of Misrule series by Mark Chadbourn.

It's sort of like National Treasure meets Lord of the Rings. It's set in England, and pages and pages of the book are part history of England, and part lengendary/occult history of England. Some of it was myth presented as truth, like the story of Mary Kings Close.

From Wikipedia.

Quote:
Despite the myth, victims were not walled up in the closes and left to starve. In fact, there had been a long tradition of organized quarantine in the town. Over many previous outbreaks, those infected with the plague enclosed themselves in their house and indicated their plight by displaying a small white flag from the window. In response, bread, ale, coal and even wine were delivered to them daily, and a plague doctor would visit to drain bubos - the pus-filled lymph nodes, which threatened to rupture and kill the patient through septicaemia. Some people were quarantined in wooden huts or ‘ludges’, outside the town at Sciennes, Boroughmuir, or in the King’s Park, for anything from two to six weeks or until death, whichever came the soonest.
Still, Chadbourn does lead a great tour of England and Scotland. It's a bit of a slow read, but he does set the mood and build the characters well. I'm just finishing the second book Darkest Hour and picked up the third book from the library today.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #1630
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
...This is pretentious stream of consciousness crap. The world's ended and he's using words like "palimpsest?" Oh, puh-leaz.
I had to google that word.

Of course, as everyone here prolly already knows, "palimpsest" means "a manuscript or document that has been erased or scraped clean, for reuse of the paper, parchment, vellum, or other medium on which it was written."

I'm reading junk. Potboilers. Rags. They are very tasty.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #1631
DanaC

Mmm. I kind of did know that.

I am reading....a Doctor Who novel, hurrah!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:11 AM   #1632
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Mmm. I kind of did know that.
That's because you're a liberal elitist with a big, fancy education.

The Dr. Who novel is a shock, though.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:18 AM   #1633
DanaC

Yeah. I can see, it just about shocked you off've your chair.

It's a good one this time though A return to an old favourite I read years ago: Fear Itself. One of the eighth Doctor (Paul MgGann) books. It would stand up as a damn fine sci-fi book without the Doctor as a recognised character.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #1634
monster
I hear them call the tide

The Anglo Files by Sarah Lyall. Accurate/Astute observations of Brits by a transplanted Yank, in the main, but her claim that she loves both is blatant publicity BS and her vitriol toeards her adopted countrymates sadly overpowers the lol moments.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:14 AM   #1635
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Ilium by Dan Simmons. Great read if you like the sci-fi and tech speak.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books