The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #436
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Been threatened with rain and high winds since the weekend.
Here in the Vale it's been a bit breezy, and the ground is wet, but nothing to justify stomping to work in my heavy duty boots. Grrrrr.

Trouble is, I've been out after school every day so far, and I have to carry enough stuff to be prepared - hat and cardigan and scarf and flats to wear at work. I look like I'm away for the weekend every morning I leave the house. But the weather is changeable and the temp drops when the sun goes down.

Aside from the boots I will admit the other items have been useful. The school is not uniformly heated and my core temp has dropped enough that I can wear up to three layers on occasion...

I'd like a sharp clean frost. Have decided snow is too messy and muddy. I always suspect dog owners have decided not to pick up the steaming parcels their dogs leave when it is snowing, and therefore have to negotiate any part of pavement with even a hint of brown... even if 99.9% of it is probably mud.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #437
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I walked carrotchops through high winds and hail today!

And the winds have been freaking him out at times too. When everything's being blown around outside and the fireplace is acting like a trumpet.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #438
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

it was 60 (60!) degrees out today but now it's howling, moaning wind with rain/sleet/hail with the rain coming down literally in devlish buckets not a nice soft Scottish rain at ALL- very Dracula weather. And tonight (after this cold front moves in) it is going to SNOW. So from 60 degrees to snow in one 12 hour period.

wild willy wonka weather.

as a joke my sister planted two pink flamingo in my side yard and I fear this roaring hateful wind will blow them away...poor flamingos...
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #439
glatt

Yeah, pretty big storm too. Looks like this line of thunderstorms stretches from PA to the Gulf of Mexico.

Name:  radar.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  113.3 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #440
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Same weather here; temperature's been dropping like a stone all day fom the high 60s to snow tonight. It's been pouring rain with high winds all day. The roads tomorrow morning will be skating rinks.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #441
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
The high winds combined with the drop in temp usually dries things out.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #442
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I think you can declare that a "weather event". Looks kinda scary.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #443
orthodoc

Just thinking about the rain (there's enough coming down to sheet and puddle on the road surfaces) and the rapid temperature drop - it's going to freeze under the snow. Hereabouts, they don't send the plows and salt trucks out until after the snow completely stops.

Why waste money when the snow's still coming down, is the thinking.
Amateurs.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #444
glatt

It won't get that cold here, but in the last 20 minutes, it's gone from 68 down to 58, and it's still falling.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #445
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

we've a new thing here in Dayton where they pre-salt the roads BEFORE the snow/ice with salt and this new thing that they have which is cheaper and works better--some agricultural thing; in twenty years we'll find out it causes brain cancer but so far the roads aren't too bad.

Howling winds, my windows are shaking, my front door is rattling. Wolf wants in!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #446
glatt

We survived the night just fine, and now it's a blustery day with the sun poking out from behind the clouds. I love this kind of weather. The wind is strong but not damaging, and the clouds are racing across the sky with a strong sunlight shining through every once and a while.

It's a vibrant day. There's electricity in the air. When I was a kid, this kind of weather would make me just tear around the playground.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #447
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

My car was pushed all over the interstate this morning. Seriously high winds. The roads were OK though.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #448
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
The high winds combined with the drop in temp usually dries things out.
You were right - no skating rinks. A little ice but nothing horrible. I need to remember that there are plenty of places in the US that equal Canada for snow experience and general lousy winter weather!

In fact, anyone from southern Ontario has nothing to say about snow. They shut down Toronto and Hamilton for an inch of the stuff. You have to get north of Toronto to get into the snow belts.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #449
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
My car was pushed all over the interstate this morning. Seriously high winds. The roads were OK though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
You were right - no skating rinks. A little ice but nothing horrible. I need to remember that there are plenty of places in the US that equal Canada for snow experience and general lousy winter weather!

In fact, anyone from southern Ontario has nothing to say about snow. They shut down Toronto and Hamilton for an inch of the stuff. You have to get north of Toronto to get into the snow belts.
When my sister moved to VA from NY she called to tell me that she was driving to work and the snow had just barely begun to fall, just a few flakes barely sticking, and people were skidding into ditches, abandoning their cars and walking. She didn't realize that not everyone knew how to drive in snow.

20 years later and she still shakes her head at southerners in snow.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #450
Nirvana
Back in 10

Ha! Trilby at the end of summer I buy pink flamingo sets for about 4 bucks for next years yard plantings