FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #5731
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
"How did you get fired from the pool job Footer?"

"I told them that we needed highly delineated lines of authority to maximize productivity, and that emptying the trash liners was Ashley's bailiwick."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #5732
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Ok, so one job is with a 'major trucking company' and the background check is brutal. "Um, we have found you farted in third grade. Since Sister Francis is dead, would you please give us another source (non-relative) who will confirm or deny your fart, and if confirmed please supply the dates and the circumstances under which you farted."

I've gotten so far with this one, but this is killing me. I can't tell you exactly what the problem is but rest assured it was a VERY long time ago. And I'm not exactly applying for some sinister double-secret undercover thing...it's entering fucking numbers into a fucking database. It ain't even gubbermint work.

Fuck 'em.

On the other hand, I rode in a Big Darkish Color (not tan or black) truck today as a seasonal helper. (Trying to avoid the Big Googly Moogly here.) It was a blast and fast paced and I was in and out of the truck the whole time and hopefully I'll be doing this every day, except weekends, through the holidays. Pretty good pay for seasonal help too. Who knows, maybe a miracle will net me a longer term position.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:47 PM   #5733
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

What's mildly irritating you today?

This. I had to turn it off 2 minutes fifteen seconds in. I was about to scream. Out loud. Really. I mean, WTGDF?! A fucking two year old can drive better. I've seen it.

Drugs. I'm just going to assume she is on drugs, of some very high-octane variety. Trippin' balls. Has to be. If I saw my mother do that, I would, literally, take the keys from her, on the spot.

When the guy comes out and moves his car, I looked down to get a spoonful of noodles, and suddenly she's now trapped between the other vehicle and the curb.

"WHAT IN THE FUCK?!?!?!?!" out loud in the room.

I was actually surprised by how mad this video made me.

I have absolutely no tolerance for this type of thing.

Anyway, the inexplicable vid:

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:22 PM   #5734
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post

On the other hand, I rode in a Big Darkish Color (not tan or black) truck today as a seasonal helper. (Trying to avoid the Big Googly Moogly here.) It was a blast and fast paced and I was in and out of the truck the whole time and hopefully I'll be doing this every day, except weekends, through the holidays. Pretty good pay for seasonal help too. Who knows, maybe a miracle will net me a longer term position.
YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

Now where the fuck is my package?
Old 12-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #5735
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
THAT is cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
A fucking two year old can drive better.
THAT is pathetic. Gotta be under the influence of something.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #5736
infinite monkey

Thanks monster and glatt. Doing a repeat of the big truck today. I am getting placed in the great white north because the other fools don't want to drive there (even people closer than I am!) but i don't mind. The driver is nice and I love those small towns (and small businesses) up there.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #5737
glatt

Did they train you on which foot to use to step into the truck for maximum efficiency? I heard they had all that stuff down to a science.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #5738
Griff
still says videotape

A girl, ok middle-aged white woman, I went to high school with drives for a similar organization with a different color scheme. She's been at it for a decade or so and still seems to enjoy it. It's funny because she seemed really unhappy back in school but seems quite happy with the driving gig. When I was weighing what to do at my last job change I considered the seasonal package job as a way to break in to something different. My new gig involves a lot of driving and real interactions with people living lives in their natural habitat, much better than the classroom construct for me. Good luck on the open road!

Last edited by Griff; 12-10-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: horror of a grammatical error
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #5739
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My cousin's wife was in the medical field for 30 years, and she just took a job at the service counter of a salon and couldn't be happier. I think there's a lot to be said for doing something simple and fun and not tying your self-worth up in a previous generation's concept of a successful career path.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #5740
glatt

This job I'm in now started off with a lot of stress, having long term projects that would weigh on me even in my off hours. I'd grind my damn teeth at night. But now has evolved into a never ending series of simple jobs that can be done in a couple hours or at most, a couple days. It's awesome, because I basically never think about work when I'm not there.

I can see how delivering packages and being finished with each task in a matter of a few minutes would be really nice too.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #5741
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
A girl, ok middle-aged white woman, I went to high school with drives for a similar organization with a different color scheme. She's been at it for a decade or so and still seems to enjoy it. It's funny because she seemed really unhappy back in school but seems quite happy with the driving gig.
That company is an amalgamation of five divisions. Rather than have employees for the home delivery division, they use contractors with designated territories. This gives drivers more flexibility and less scrutiny than the big brown drivers. Some people really thrive in that environment.

My brother's buddy has northern VT and NH, plus southern ME. He had to buy the 4-wheel drive truck they "suggested", as their busiest time collides with their nastiest weather. But he has considerable freedom as to route and time, because any inefficiency is on him.

I curse whenever I see something is coming by fedex. I live in town A, but my mail is delivered by town B. So the fedex contractor for town B gets the package but stops at the border and says, "ain't my job". No matter how many times I explain the problem to the dispatcher it doesn't help. One package came from the west coast in the fedex terminal in two days, but the ten miles to my house took eight days, in spite of talking to the dispatcher three times and the driver twice.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #5742
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It seems the Amazon/USPS fling is not as good as I'd hoped.
I wasn't angling for a free/cheap shipping deal, I paid a 23% premium for shipping and handling, which Amazon has refunded.

December 5, 2014, 11:42 am, Sterling VA US Package has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier
December 5, 2014, 2:43 pm, Sterling VA US Package received by carrier
December 5, 2014, 7:35 pm, Laurel MD US Package arrived at a carrier facility
December 6, 2014, 3:14 am, Laurel MD US Package has left the carrier facility
December 6, 2014, 5:34 am, Philadelphia PA US Package arrived at a carrier facility
December 8, 2014, 1:55 am, Philadelphia PA US Package arrived at a carrier facility
December 8, 2014, 12:05 pm, Philadelphia PA US Package has been transferred to the USPS and will be
delivered by your local postal office
December 10, 2014, 12:14 pm, --- Package arrived at a carrier facility

Seems to be some contradictory data, and strange time/distance entries.
Got to Philly (10 miles from me) on the 6th and still hasn't got here
Old 12-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #5743
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Did they train you on which foot to use to step into the truck for maximum efficiency? I heard they had all that stuff down to a science.
As a 'helper' the training was minimal but they are very adamant about certain things.

My problem is my knee. I have to move in certain ways to keep it from giving way. However, this makes me adhere to the 'three points' suggestion which is always having contact with two feet and one hand or two hands and one foot.

I limp slightly but keep moving quickly so I'm not holding anyone up. Must be doing OK I'm going with the same driver for the third day and if they don't like you they'll tell them not to send you anymore. We seem to have worked out a pretty good system. He's nice in that we can chat but there's also a lot of quiet. We seem to be a good team. I hope he thinks so too.

Well, off to suit up, brace the knee, and hope for another successful day.

p.s. Still plugging away with the trucking company who needs to know the last time I ate pasta and was it marinara or alfredo sauce, etc. They keep asking questions I keep answering.

p.p.s. Sorry these posts keep ending up in this thread but it just seems to fit with the continuation. Anyway, I created this thread, dammit, I can derail it any time I want. (Isn't that the rule? No?)

Old 12-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #5744
glatt

It's physically possible to have walked the package from Sterling to your house in that time. Would have been a long walk, and would wear you out, but doable. Only 20-25 miles a day. That's about ten hours a day of walking.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #5745
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Five (hours) if you walk like a Glatt.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Last edited by Gravdigr; 12-11-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mild cheddar