The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #46
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Mine. What other people are experiencing is their deal!

eta It's kind of hard hard to say precisely, but acting is acting. Saw a play a few years ago where part of the cast was fully naked for the first act. Saw another that simulated sexual abuse of a teenager. These were the two most interesting plays I've ever seen.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #47
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Okay, so as long as you're not aroused, the other guy can be totally into it, and that wouldn't bother you? What if the other guy is, like, whispering things in your ear that aren't part of his lines for the play?

What if it's only a small, innocuous kiss with a woman on stage, but you do have a huge crush on your fellow actress? Would you say no to doing that scene?

I say all this as a person who feels pretty much the same way you do, but I've always been fairly indifferent to physicality, and I'm aware that I'm different than most people in that respect. I'm just curious where other people's lines are.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #48
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

#1, then it's not acting and I suppose I would have a problem.

#2, it's no problem because I'm playing a character and so is the actress.

Patricia Arquette used to make Nic Cage eat onions before he had a sex scene.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #49
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I draw the line at actual arousal.
I was gonna put up a picture of his co-star with a smart comment but it turns out Virginia Madsen isn't actually attractive so even a non-pro could do a pretty serious scene without crossing your line.

We'd have to ask Sheldon for confirmation but my gaydar goes off when I see Neal.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #50
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Virginia Madsen was hotter than a two dollar pistol back in the day.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #51
Griff
still says videotape

I had googled her pics since I didn't recall ever seeing her... maybe she moves well or something... <shrug> kinda looks like she has a migraine. I miss stuff sometimes and this is prolly one of those times.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #52
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
kinda looks like she has a migraine.
Wow. I just looked up some images, and you're right--that is a damn fine description of what her face is doing.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #53
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

This is what i think, every time I see this thread title:
Attached Images

DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #54
monster
I hear them call the tide

yah, me too
Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #55
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Patricia Arquette used to make Nic Cage eat onions before he had a sex scene.
This is interesting. She's an actress who has also done sex scenes, so she presumably knows the deal.

I've never acted, but I understand there are a couple different schools of acting. One of them is that it's all pretend, and the other is that you are trying to actually get into the mind of the character. To live as the character would live. And you just act naturally while becoming that character. You hear stories of these actors going around "in character" while on the set. Seems like doing a sex scene in that form of acting would be like actually "making love" even if there is no penetration.

I've heard that some actors who do sex scenes in movies actually hook up in real life. Penelope Cruz is known for sleeping with many of her co-stars. I'm not sure if it's just for fun, or maybe it's a way to deal with emotions felt while going through the scenes. But apparently Patricia Aquette knows.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #56
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Having seen kisses filmed (not sex scenes I admit) they are the most unerotic things ever. Surrounded by full crew with lights, being told when to start and stop, having marks to hit and lines and direction to remember.

Can't say it would put me in the mood for a repeat in my trailer.

On-stage kisses... well. I did fall for my devastating Bugsy Malone when I played Bousey Brown. But I was 13 at the time.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #57
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I've heard that some actors who do sex scenes in movies actually hook up in real life. Penelope Cruz is known for sleeping with many of her co-stars. I'm not sure if it's just for fun, or maybe it's a way to deal with emotions felt while going through the scenes.
It's called rehearsing.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:26 PM   #58
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
It's called rehearsing.
And sometimes it's even encouraged by the director. In high school, I had to kiss a boy in a play, and neither of us was particularly attracted to the other. The theatre teacher instructed us to go make out together, so we'd be comfortable kissing on stage. (We never did.)
Old 04-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #59
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
...(We never did.)
Jeez.... You have to exercise your instrument. Where's your dedication to your art? [/self-important actor]