The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 01-15-2019, 10:29 PM   #3766
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I can never follow most of the woodworking/handyman threads, but once they finally start to look like something, I get impressed. That's a damn guitar, LJ!

I'll expect a YouTube performance with it when you're done, naturally.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:22 AM   #3767
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

An article about how scientists and psychologists have based most of knowledge of normal on a sliver of the world’s people. Certainly not representative of the variation of human customs and cultures.

Quote:
If a boy is to become a man among the Etoro people of New Guinea, he must ingest the semen of an elder member of the tribe, via ritualised fellatio. The same belief is held by the nearby Kaluli. But in their case, the ceremonies require the semen to be delivered via the initiate’s anus, not his mouth. The Etoro despise the Kaluli’s practice, finding it disgusting and unnatural.

If you were asked to sum up the nature of modern adolescence, the Kaluli and the Etoro would not be the first examples that spring to mind. But a few years ago, three researchers in Vancouver became convinced that much of what we think we know about humanity as a whole is in fact the result of studying a tribe that is just as divorced from the mainstream of human experience: the American undergraduate.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:54 AM   #3768
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

How a Dirty Old Waffle Iron Became Nike's Holy Grail

Even if ya already know about it, it's a pretty interesting read.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #3769
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

‘Jihad By Camera’: How U.S.-Trained Afghans Photographed the Soviet Invasion (32 Pics)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #3770
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
How a Dirty Old Waffle Iron Became Nike's Holy Grail

Even if ya already know about it, it's a pretty interesting read.
I half-ass knew the story, but this article was SUPER interesting. I didn't know they sold Nikes out of the trunk of a car, but it made me think of Chuck Taylor, the guy who sold Converse All Stars out of the trunk of his car.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #3771
glatt

Very interesting flipping through those pictures
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #3772
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

World Leaders' Valentine's Day Cards

Sample:

Name:  val.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  64.1 KB

Old 02-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #3773
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Comments equally funny
Old 02-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #3774
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I didn't even read 'em that time. I usually do.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #3775
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I think I like David Thorne, and I bet Simon is a total douche.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:29 PM   #3776
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I like David Thorne

you might remember "Missing Missy: A Shannon Production"
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:03 AM   #3777
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Good article from the N Y Times...

Quote:
What we need is not to disagree less, but to disagree better. And that starts when you turn away the rhetorical dope peddlers — the powerful people on your own side who are profiting from the culture of contempt. As satisfying as it can feel to hear that your foes are irredeemable, stupid and deviant, remember: When you find yourself hating something, someone is making money or winning elections or getting more famous and powerful. Unless a leader is actually teaching you something you didn’t know or expanding your worldview and moral outlook, you are being used.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #3778
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
When you find yourself hating something, someone is making money or winning elections or getting more famous and powerful. Unless a leader is actually teaching you something you didn’t know or expanding your worldview and moral outlook, you are being used.
Two completely bullshit statements.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #3779
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Quote:
What we need is not to disagree less, but to disagree better.
Of course, there's always room for improvement.

Quote:
Quote:
And that starts when you turn away the rhetorical dope peddlers — the powerful people on your own side who are profiting from the culture of contempt.
These people are hired to counter the rhetorical dope peddlers on the other side; because, the other side is not turning away from theirs. Unilaterally turning away from those on your side is how one loses parity (i.e. unilateral disarmament).

Quote:
Quote:
As satisfying as it can feel to hear that your foes are irredeemable, stupid and deviant, remember: When you find yourself hating something, someone is making money or winning elections or getting more famous and powerful.
So, if you hate Nazism, racism, and genocide, someone making money or winning elections or getting more famous and powerful representing your sentiments is a bad thing?

Quote:
Quote:
Unless a leader is actually teaching you something you didn’t know or expanding your worldview and moral outlook, ...
Hmmm, our leaders are elected to teach others something they didn't know or expanding their world view and moral outlook (e.g. life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness).

Quote:
Quote:
… you are being used.
That's what losers always say to winners...you're just a tool. I suppose it can be cathartic; but, it doesn't change anything.

All in all, the quoted excerpt from that article comes across as a bunch of smollett. YMMV.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #3780
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
...author of the forthcoming book “Love Your Enemies: How Decent People Can Save America From the Culture of Contempt”
Well I'm on board

Love your enemies - the greatest and most radical advice ever offered to the human race
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote