The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 06-18-2016, 05:52 AM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Brexit

I've been avoiding talking about the upcoming EU Referendum, because I find the whole thing deeply depressing. I will be voting to remain in the EU, but I fear that the Brexiters will win the day and we will be leaving the EU shortly. I think this will be damaging to our country in many ways. I also think it will be damaging to Europe.

But that's not really why I'm posting - I don't know if y'all have seen the news about the recent killing of an MP in Yorkshire? The killer shouted 'Britain First' as he attacked. The MP was a 'pro-immigration' MP, by which I mean she was against the anti-immigration rhetoric and was proud of the multicultural nature of her constituency.

It saddens me that this has happened. It would sadden me whatever her political stripe - there is no room for violence and assassination in a democratic state. But it also saddens me because she was one of the good ones. She was a hardworking constituency MP, going to bat for her constituents time and again and always available to them through surgeries and visits. She was a lovely woman.

It is also a shocking thing for it to happen so close to home. Kirklees, the borough in which her constituency sits is one of the neighbouring boroughs to mine. Our two boroughs often collaborate and pool resources on things - there are a number of services, for instance that our two councils share responsibility and oversight for.

It's a wake up call, I think, as to just how deep seated the tensions over immigration and Britain's EU membership run. We are not a happy land right now.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...west-yorkshire

Last edited by DanaC; 06-18-2016 at 05:57 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #2
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Had she previously ever met with her killer during a surgery?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
It's a wake up call, I think, as to just how deep seated the tensions over immigration and Britain's EU membership run.
No reason for emotions over either topic. Neither issue threatens anyone's health and well being. But to gain power, then incite adults who are still children to become emotional. Create problems where none should or would exist.

Brexit makes no sense to an adult. But it makes complete sense when hypes an issue to obtain power. To even lie about reasons for leaving such as money. Incite adults who are still children into an emotional tizzy - to even murder. Its easy especially when so many today only hear soundbytes; do not read anything more than one paragraph long. Become uneducated. And therefore cannot be a moderate.

Extremists know how to obtain power. She is their victim.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I think I would be on the Remain side whilst secretly wanting to preserve what is uniquely British. (Cheddar, Her Maj, and football hooliganism. Well do keep the cheese)

Just browsing around, I found a map of pro and anti MP districts and, interestingly, there was no geographic unity to it, except for Scotland who are firmly Remain.

It fails to explain why they were so interested in breaking off Britain and not so interested in breaking off EU.

Without having a single clue, I'll guess that is because what is Scottish is still firmly Scottish, and nobody is going to threaten that, even if the occasional terrorist needs to be kicked in the bollocks at the airport.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I thought it was interesting he preferred to stab her and only resorted to the gun in his bag when interference from the other guy fucked up his plans.

This poll claims the key to the decision process on Brexit is trust in leadership.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #6
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I thought it was interesting he preferred to stab her and only resorted to the gun in his bag when interference from the other guy fucked up his plans. ...
Probably just wanted to ensure his representative was feeling his pain.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:06 AM   #7
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

The marked absence of facts has characterised this whole campaign.
In a general election all manner of promises, most of them undeliverable, will be made and the electorate generally accepts that, voting out of political tribal loyalty or simply frustration.
Well, it'll keep the other lot out, won't it?
Given the nature of the question, there should be at least some fairly concrete facts on which to base your voting decision but what do we have?
The Remain camp has issued all manner of dire warnings short of seven days of darkness laying over the face of the land, in the event of a vote to leave and the Leave campaign doesn't seem to have anything coherent to say.
It doesn't help that there isn't even a split along party lines and it has produced some very odd political alliances.

So, what do I do on Thursday? Sit on my hands and blame everybody else when it all goes wrong?
Whatever happens there's going to be some almighty upheaval one way or another in the following months.
Without giving too much away, I'm at an age (don't ask) where the health of my pension fund is becoming something of a concern.
Whatever the result, I've no doubt there will be stock market upheaval from 0830 on Friday morning so that noise you'll hear will be my pension fund heading south at Mach 2.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #8
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
... Given the nature of the question, there should be at least some fairly concrete facts on which to base your voting decision but what do we have? ...
Circumstances within the EU have changed enough since the last referendum to trigger a new one. There's a Wiki article about it, the tone of which appears relatively neutral. It conveniently outlines many of the considerations in one place. Perhaps it would serve as a refresher and spark greater insight into how the possible outcomes may affect you.

The main article: United Kingdom European Union membership referendum, 2016

The pertinent considerations subparagraph: Hypothesised results of a withdrawal
Old 06-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #9
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Whatever the result, I've no doubt there will be stock market upheaval from 0830 on Friday morning so that noise you'll hear will be my pension fund heading south at Mach 2.
Those silly little blimps are how adults make money at the expense of the emotional. Those blimps do not define market growth.

But leaving the EU will result in less UK growth - in the long term. Whereas markets will still grow, that growth will be stunted. Nothing good is provided by Brexit. Emotions that justify Brexit even murder politicians. That says much about the intelligence promoting Brexit.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I think I would be on the Remain side whilst secretly wanting to preserve what is uniquely British. (Cheddar, Her Maj, and football hooliganism. Well do keep the cheese)
Headline: "Humble block of cheddar cheese amongst Brexit's first victims" I thought, the fuck! Did somebody read my post or something? Then I noticed: Irish cheddar. Right, eff them! There's no particular need to import Irish cheddar is there? No! British cheddar has actually been defended.

And as far as the pull quote "Nobody else eats Cheddar, it can't be diverted off to France," You could leave EU and join with Britain, only then it would be BR/IE... and once again with the cheese...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:55 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Scotland will split off and join Newfoundland. They're closer than the US mainland and Hawaii.
You heard it here first... or 5th... or 50th.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #12
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Dana, I don't know if this helps but the referendum is a glorified opinion poll and any decision to leave still depends on parliament which is around 90% remain. Can't remember where I saw this but the whole thing is a Tory smoke screen ...

Sent by thought transference
Old 06-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Of course Limey is correct, as always. Being part of the power behind the throne has informational privilege.
Quote:
What follows any referendum vote next week for the United Kingdom to leave the EU? From a legal perspective, the immediate consequence is simple: nothing will happen.

The relevant legislation did not provide for the referendum result to have any formal trigger effect. The referendum is advisory rather than mandatory. The 2011 referendum on electoral reform did have an obligation on the government to legislate in the event of a “yes” vote (the vote was “no” so this did not matter). But no such provision was included in the EU referendum legislation.
link
Old 06-24-2016, 11:38 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
Dana, I don't know if this helps but the referendum is a glorified opinion poll and any decision to leave still depends on parliament which is around 90% remain. Can't remember where I saw this but the whole thing is a Tory smoke screen ...

I wonder if the Queen, through the new PM, will say no?
Old 06-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #15
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Doesn't mean we're not in for a bumpy ride in the case of a No vote ...