The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #31
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

If I had kids they would have at least 12 fingers and 12 toes.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #32
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
I'm sorry I didnt push my explanation further. I do not condone violence especially against kids, but if you issue a threat you have to be prepared to carry it to its conclusion.
I threaten to kill my kids to death all the time. They think it's funny but they also get the message.
The little hippy school the kids used to go to had "Stop Rule". Pretty much the only rule that was enforced consistently. Almost religiously. Someone says "stop!" and the offending activity had to cease immediately. Conflict resolution to follow if necessary (endless talking about feelings and crap when everyone else is rocking the sand box). The ability to understand and follow stop rule was a prerequisite for admission, and each potential student had to get several days of hippie scrutiny at school under their belt before they were officially admitted, to make sure.
"Kill you to death" is just the updated version of stop rule.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:30 AM   #33
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Because it's worked for 100,000 years, before Dr Spock.
But 100,000 years ago isn't today. Might is no longer right in a society when you don't have to physically fight to get ahead. If you bring children up to believe the one who gives the hardest wallop gets the best food, the best women and the best life, I don't think you're really preparing them for 21st century society. Or at least not polite society. FFS, I sound like Jane fucking Austen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
If you squirted him with a water pistol he would.
He bloody would too.
As it is I cuff him and hiss at him when he's out of line.

He learns nothing from my liberal moralising, it just makes me feel better when I say things like, "OW! That hurt! You bad boy!" Although it is mostly followed by, "You do that again you little monster, I'll whack you on the head with a shovel and bury you in the garden" rather than "I'm sure you didn't mean it, and I still love you."

As I say, that's the benefit of having cats rather than kids
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #34
GunMaster357
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
But 100,000 years ago isn't today. Might is no longer right in a society when you don't have to physically fight to get ahead.
If you believe force doesn't solve anything, it's because you don't hit hard enough.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #35
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
He learns nothing from my liberal moralising,
Ain't that the truth!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #36
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Each child responds to different levels of discipline within the same family. All kids are different. But the parents that are extremely permissive with their children's behavior in public is nauseating. No it is not ok to let your kids run around a nice eating establishment, that is what the ball pit at McDonald's is for, just watch out for those HIV needles.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #37
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
The controversy was reignited last week after Grant Central Pizza in Atlanta added a disclaimer to its menu asking parents to take crying children outside, out of respect to fellow patrons.

Whenever a restaurant assumes a public stance on dealing with unruly children, it risks alienating customers. But it’s a chance more and more restaurants are willing to take, with increasing support from the parenting and non-parenting public.

“I have children and I support grant central's policy 300 percent. I wish more eating establishments had the good decency to stand up and say no more to uncontrolled and undiciplined [sic] children,” one commenter said on the restaurant’s Facebook page, where owners thanked people for supporting them “during this nationwide controversy.”

“We plan to eat in at Grant Central more often now. Thank you! We love kids, but parents need to take responsibility for occasional bad behavior,” another commenter said.

McDain’s Restaurant and Golf Center in Monroeville, Pennsylvania, drew national attention last summer after deciding to ban children under six. Less than a year later, owner Mike Vuick said he is reaping the benefits of a sound business decision: sales are up 22 percent and he’s looking for more wait staff.

The restaurant lost some regular customers, but they were replaced by a new crop of customers searching for a relaxed atmosphere, according to Vuick.

“We’ve had nothing but quiet dinners, and not a day goes by that I don’t get e-mails from people thanking me or congratulating me,” he said.

A number of factors played into the decision. Increasingly, parents seemed unwilling to stop children from running around the dining room or remove them if they were screaming or making noise. Polite nudging from staff was met with indignant responses, and in extreme cases, people stiffing them on checks.

“I did it on behalf of parents who left their children at home expecting to have a nice dinner at a quiet venue,” Vuick said. “I knew it could backfire but it was a risk I was willing to take because I felt there would be enough people who’d appreciate what I was doing.”

He has nothing against children, he says; it’s just a function of the kind of business he wanted to run.

Link
Old 02-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #38
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Remote controlled trap doors under every chair.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #39
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
We all need a thread resurrection,
Just a little Classic intervention...

Seriously, my dad would unrepentantly shout out "Stuff a sock in it." Whenever we were out in public and some baby was crying.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #40
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

My wife and I are in an expensive hotel in Ixtapa that was chosen, in part, because of their "no guests under 18" policy*. For the first two days we were here there was a young couple with a loud baby. We stopped eating in the restaurants of the hotel because of that**, and instead walk the five kilometers into town.

* I just looked on their website and don't see any mention of such policy. Maybe I was tricked.
** Plus the fact that margaritas are $12, and you can't have lunch for less than $50.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #41
glatt

Seems like in Mexico, you should be able to have lunch for $5, not $50.

I guess the resorts aren't really part of Mexico.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #42
Griff
still says videotape

There is a $45 don't get shot by a drug warrior fee.