The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

View Poll Results: Are you a Democrat, Republican, or Southerner??
Democrat 5 29.41%
Republican 0 0%
Southerner 7 41.18%
Bleeding Heart Foreigner 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #31
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

0.16 ... "Djyou unastan wut ahm sayin?"

Err, not very well, but I get the impression you're a dick.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #32
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:56 AM   #33
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

the police can't be everywhere all the time!! budget cuts are causing reductions in many departments. i think the best response is a well armed populace who are not afraid to intervene when "evil rears"
Old 10-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #34
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
the police can't be everywhere all the time!! budget cuts are causing reductions in many departments.
Hence the need to increase taxes on the 1%. Thanks for coming around, big fella.

Quote:
i think the best response is a well armed populace who are not afraid to intervene when "evil rears"
You'd be even busier, with people shooting each other.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #35
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
the police can't be everywhere all the time!! budget cuts are causing reductions in many departments. i think the best response is a well armed populace who are not afraid to intervene when "evil rears"
Oh yeah, that's what I want...
to have my local police proposing that all my neighbors be armed.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #36
Griff
still says videotape

This urban vs rural perspective always surprises me. All my neighbors are armed and it seems important to everyone's security. If the State Police respond from the nearest barracks we're looking at 45? minutes of response time. A couple townships have gone in together on some dangerously unprofessional officers. We don't really want a police presence except for doing the paperwork after car accidents etc... It is the assumption that people are basically good that keeps us safe.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #37
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
The police can be everywhere some of the time, and somewhere all of the time, but they can't be everywhere all the time.

There just aren't enough donut shops
Old 10-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #38
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Hence the need to increase taxes on the 1%. Thanks for coming around, big fella.

You'd be even busier, with people shooting each other.
we'd be a lot better off if these illegals were paying taxes to help offset their abuse of federally funded programs.

Mississippi has the Castle Act (your home is your castle and you can defend it from reasonably perceived danger. it also allows you to carry a concealed weapon in your car). It is really helping with decreasing the number of home invasions, etc. We never had a bit of trouble at our farm. Any strange vehicle I met in the driveway with a gun in my hand. Word got out and we never had a break in!! Now nobody bothers us in town because they all know the crazy guy with a bunch guns lives in that house. Plus young men seem to be complete gentlemen when they take my daughters out

People shooting each other? Yep, it happens but it sure cuts down on repeat offenders!!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:14 AM   #39
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

dude if yer wooing brits you can't talk like that
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #40
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
This urban vs rural perspective always surprises me. All my neighbors are armed and it seems important to everyone's security. If the State Police respond from the nearest barracks we're looking at 45? minutes of response time.
Totally agree.
My friends in rural areas have totally different perspectives on these types of issues than those who live in suburban or city locales.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #41
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

I don't see that as a reason to need a gun, but a better police force.

ok its you in the car with your kids ( future kids)
Crack head starts this shit
Flattens a tire or disables you car some how so you cant run him over
he smashes a window and grabs one of your kids

Now you can comment on needing a better Police force and how Society has failed this poor man all you want ,

me , at the first swing i would have been trying to get away/ run him over ,
but he lays a hand on a kid ,
POW POW POW , one less crack head
end of disscussion
Old 10-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #42
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Brooklyn mother dies shielding schoolchildren from gunfire

Quote:
October 22, 2011 | 8:21 am

A Brooklyn neighborhood was in mourning Saturday for a mother who died trying to shield a group of children from gunfire just after they were dismissed from an elementary school, according to news reports.

An 11-year-old girl and another parent were also hit by bullets during the Friday after-school shootings, police said.

Zurana Horton, 34, “was seen moments before she was shot hovering over several children to protect them as shots were fired,” a police report said. She died Friday at the scene. Neighbors are saying that Horton had 13 of her own children and that she might have been pregnant, NY1 said.

Family members told the New York Post that Horton had been planning to move from the crime-ridden Brownsville area of Brooklyn. “She’s getting married, but now she can’t do any of that,” her cousin told the Post. Neighbors who had gathered at her home were expressing sadness and outrage, news reports said Saturday.
Good story zippy. I feel the same way. But there are other stories that don't have a happy ending written with a gun.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #43
classicman

Would that story have ended differently if she had been armed?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #44
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Today's timely coincidence:

Quote:
Guns kept at home are hurting US kids

LOADED guns left where kids can reach them may be contributing to the high level of firearms injuries to children in the US. A study this week reveals the number of such injuries is 30 per cent higher than thought.

Figures gathered from emergency rooms across the US show that around 20,000 children are injured by firearms each year - higher than earlier estimates. A further 900 incidents are fatal, says Saranya Srinivasan, a paediatrician at the Children's Hospital in Boston and co-author of the study.

The level of gun crime in the US has been falling in recent years, but firearms injuries involving children are not necessarily the result of criminal activity, says Srinivasan. For instance, 37 per cent of the children recorded in the study were hurt unintentionally. "These injuries likely could have been prevented with more careful firearm storage within the home," she says.

Some 30 million American children live in homes where there is at least one firearm. "It is important to remember that there are things we can do to prevent children from being injured with a firearm, including making sure the gun is stored unloaded and locked in a secure container," says Linda Degutis, director of the US government's National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.

"The safest place for a child is a home without a gun," says Robert Sege, a paediatrician at the Boston University School of Medicine. "But if you need one, have it locked up."
Absolutely. Children should be locked up whenever not in use.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #45
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
The tragedy unfolded shortly after students were released from Public School 298, also known as Bette Shabazz School. The students were dispersing when a gunman on a nearby rooftop opened fire on a group of rivals, police told reporters. Horton and another mother, who was also picking up children from school, were across the street at the Lucky Supermarket when the shooting started. Horton shielded several children from the bullets.
armed with what? This? Or this?

I doubt it.

But there are those that believe differently.