The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #871
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
wtf? NBC sends that signal out for free to anyone with an antenna. Why exactly should Time Warner pay one cent to the local affiliate for doing the service of passing it along?
KXAN (NBC) says that Time Warner has to pay all their cable channel providers for their signals, and they should start paying the networks too, and just pass the costs on to us like they do for the other channels. Time Warner isn't caving because the minute they do, all the other networks will follow suit. I don't know if DirecTV is paying them or what, but in the weeks leading up to the cutoff, the ads kept saying again and again that we should switch if we want to keep getting our signal.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #872
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I expect DirecTV is paying.

In general broadcast TV stations within the local area can choose either "must carry" or "transmission consent." If they do "must carry," they don't get any compensation from the satellite or cable co, BUT, the sat/cable/whatever is required to carry them. If they choose to negotiate for compensation in return for their signal, there's no guarantee that the two parties will come to terms, and the station can't go back to must-carry status for three years.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/cblbdcst.html
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #873
glatt

That's insane. The networks give the signal away for free. If any money changes hands, it should be the cable company charging the network affiliate for delivering their signal for them.

How much advertising revenue is the network affiliate losing because nobody is watching them? This is not how you should run a business. TV stations should do everything they can to have their programs viewed. Withholding them from the public is suicide for them.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #874
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I bet they get it sorted out before November sweeps, one way or the other.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #875
Pie
Gone and done

Apparently, I had a sex change and didn't notice. I just got an award from the Navy (for my last job, before I moved to MD). I was all excited; a personally-signed excellence award from an Admiral doesn't come along too often. I was going to get it framed, and hang it in my office.

Presented to Mr. Firstname Lastname

Guess I made a real impression on them.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #876
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Awwwwwwwwww.

When my Dad got his 21 Years engraved glass from his firm they got his initials wrong on it. I was outraged (although it was obviously just an admin error) and went on at him to give it back and get it done properly. He just didn't want to the fuss and Mum told me to drop it in the end. The outrage, not the glass.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #877
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I, like Juni, have a tummy ache but mine is from eating nothing but granola and chocolate Reisen's for a week straight.

but, yeah, it hurts.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #878
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Apparently, I had a sex change and didn't notice. I just got an award from the Navy (for my last job, before I moved to MD). I was all excited; a personally-signed excellence award from an Admiral doesn't come along too often. I was going to get it framed, and hang it in my office.

Like Demi Moore in GI Jane? "Suck my ... !"

PS, Congratulations on your award!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #879
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:

You have to squint just right and pitch about half your IQ, but if you can force yourself to think like an Admiral, the mistake comes out to be a compliment.

On the other hand, I bet if you informed his office, they'd get you a corrected one.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:24 AM   #880
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Pie, are you sure it was your finger you cut?

(and how is it, anyway?)
Old 10-16-2008, 07:16 AM   #881
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

One of my colleagues has put an open box of materials in the entrance. It's to go back to the vendor because they goods received are faulty. Our ultimate boss has the paperwork.

Our boss is a hard but not effective worker. She has so much to do, she is often very hard to talk to - there will be a metaphorical queue at her desk all day. I know when she comes back she has to talk to one of the Project Managers about something happening tonight for example, and will certainly not be interested in dealing with sending the box back.

Therefore it will fall to me. I will have to hound her until she gives me the paperwork. I will have to deal with the company to collect the goods and get a refund (which we may not even be entitled to - I have no idea how long we've had these sitting around). And it will be to me everyone complains about the fact we've just had a huge clean of the workshop, and yet there is already a box sitting in the entrance way, like the monitors which were abandoned there for months while our IT Manager tried to work out a way to get them recycled that didn't cost us money.

So, thanks TB. Thanks for effectively giving me a task which will be arduous and frustrating without even ackniwledging that you were giving it to me. It's not my job to return items you have decided are below par, it might not technically be yours either, but it's not mine.

Grrrrrr.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:55 AM   #882
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Pie, are you sure it was your finger you cut?
(and how is it, anyway?)

Yep, just the finger. It's mostly healed, but I will have a scar. Oh well, there goes that hand-modeling career I was contemplating... The worst part of it was that the cut bisected my writing callus. Holding a pen (or chopsticks, fork, or knife) was quite painful till the last day or two.

My old cube-mate said he will ask the Navy to re-do it. He's got a wall of awards himself and they're always misspelling his surname, so he's used to one or more go-rounds before they get it right. Makes you wonder about the Navy.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #883
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
My old cube-mate said he will ask the Navy to re-do it. He's got a wall of awards himself and they're always misspelling his surname, so he's used to one or more go-rounds before they get it right. Makes you wonder about the Navy.
It's hard to see with all the swinging dicks around.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 PM   #884
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

We discovered by accident this afternoon that our upstairs neighbor (who is out-of-town until 11/1) did not clean her refrigerator out before leaving two weeks ago...and had her electricity turned off while she's gone. It started smelling yesterday. The landlord is coming over tonight to clean the fridge out.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #885
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
We discovered by accident this afternoon that our upstairs neighbor (who is out-of-town until 11/1) did not clean her refrigerator out before leaving two weeks ago...and had her electricity turned off while she's gone. It started smelling yesterday. The landlord is coming over tonight to clean the fridge out.
So far I want TRICKY angels with dirty faces. When do you move?

Oh srry bout the fridge.

Tags
mild cheddar