The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2018, 09:43 PM   #10936
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 6,353
Glad to hear that Beest is home, we get little enough good news.
We are upset today because we just lost a friend. The young man that we befriended has turned on us. I asked him to pay me the money he owes me for my old MacBookAir that I sold him before Thanksgiving. I wanted my $100.00 and Keryx's cooler and some other things we had lent him since he is moving away. After accusing us of fucking him over he told me to fuck off and never contact him again. Fucking kids. We have no idea what we did to fuck him over.
__________________
Annoy the ones that ignore you!!!
I live a blessed life
I Love my Country, I Fear the Government!!!
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:02 AM   #10937
limey
Encroaching on your decrees
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: An island within the south-west coast of Scotland
Posts: 6,528
Oh fargon! What a fucker! So sorry that your kindness has been abused
__________________
Living it up on the edge ... of civilisation, within the southwest coast of
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #10938
BigV
Goon Squad Leader
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 24,607
monster, you do have support from here. I'm glad to hear you know you can count on it. Obviously I'm concerned about Beest, but only after reading that over a couple times was I able to figure out it wasn't his shin that was skinned during some preparatory procedure.

poor thunderboy...

hang in there, hang in there.
__________________
Also a very stable genius.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #10939
BigV
Goon Squad Leader
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 24,607
Upset isn't the right word here, more the feeling you have where *more* is piled on, stuff you have to do stuff you have to worry about, stuff you don't have much agency to affect.

Eight days ago, we went to go visit my Mom, take her a present, say hi, etc--me and Twil and SonofV. We knocked on her door as usual and it took a looooong time before there was any action. My Mom had a stroke in 1997 and her mobility and her speech were both ruined. Consequently it takes her five minutes to walk the fifteen feet from her bed to the door, assuming she is already awake, already has clothes on, brace on, shoes on, cane nearby, etc etc. .... anyhow.

We waited a long time, an aide came in, then left, then more waiting. Finally I went in and found her stuck on the toilet. Not glued, but too weak to get herself transferred. Then she wouldn't let me do the transfer, and it sounded like she was in pain. I finally went to go get help and three aides and I all managed to get her standing up, cleaned up, and pants up. What an ordeal.

We sat and visited for awhile, but Mom looked like hell. We left and then Monday night I got a call that she'd been transported to the hospital. I was able to visit her Tuesday after work after being reassured that I didn't need to be on the first thing smokin. The dignosis was sepsis (!!!) possibly due to a UTI or pneumonia or both. I know UTIs in older patients is serious condition, and google tells me I should fear sepsis even more (thank you google, you fucker).

When I got to see her, she was groggy and in pain and the nurse asked me how long she'd been sitting on the toilet. This was Tuesday evening, and I recounted our long wait in the hallway on Saturday. Come to find out that Mom didn't come down for breakfast Monday, which isn't out of the ordinary for her. She didn't come down for dinner either, also not unusual, but in the same day, *that's* a problem. They came and checked on her and found her on the toilet again, throwing up a little and very weak. The nurse asked me about the wound on her butt. Um, what did you say? It appears that she'd been sitting on the toilet long enough to have an open wound in the shape of a toilet seat on her butt, I saw the picture the hospital took.

W. T. F.

Now an Adult Protective Services investigation is underway, initiated by the hospital social worker, who deserves a superhero cape in my opinion. After these many days in the hospital, she is responding well enough to the medical attention (no UTI, pneumonia antibiotics, pain medication, turning in bed, CT scan of head negative... maybe other stuff) that she is being discharged today to a rehab facility where she's been once before.

The goal at the rehab location is to PT to increase strength and tone to help get back to self transfers and to heal the wound. Mom spends a *LOT* of time sitting, except when she's lying down, also on her backside. Her time spent up and walking is ... nothing. It's the time spent transferring from one sit to another sit or lying down.

At her assisted living facility, a couple new services will be added to her account, things previously left to the resident--toileting assistance and skin checks. It sounds a little ... I can't think of the word. It's another assault on her previous adult independence.

She used to have it all together, as much as any of us. Then the stroke, that's the biggest bomb. The paralysis, the aphasia, those insults can fuck up your quality of life. Then my Dad died, her husband and caregiver, the man who loves her--another blow. She had to move across country, in with me and my family, which was chaos. Then move again to an assisted living facility. Some stability for awhile.

Time marches on as they say and her aging made her more susceptible to these new problems, and the indignities in response.

Protip:

Don't have a stroke.
__________________
Also a very stable genius.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #10940
glatt
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 26,139
I'm sorry BigV. That's a big load to carry.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #10941
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 62,024
Getting old sucks, not only for the cogger but everyone who loves them.
__________________
Everything is interesting... look closer.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:24 PM   #10942
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 1.14 acres of heaven
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Upset isn't the right word here, more the feeling you have where *more* is piled on, stuff you have to do stuff you have to worry about, stuff you don't have much agency to affect.

Eight days ago, we went to go visit my Mom, take her a present, say hi, etc--me and Twil and SonofV. We knocked on her door as usual and it took a looooong time before there was any action. My Mom had a stroke in 1997 and her mobility and her speech were both ruined. Consequently it takes her five minutes to walk the fifteen feet from her bed to the door, assuming she is already awake, already has clothes on, brace on, shoes on, cane nearby, etc etc. .... anyhow.

We waited a long time, an aide came in, then left, then more waiting. Finally I went in and found her stuck on the toilet. Not glued, but too weak to get herself transferred. Then she wouldn't let me do the transfer, and it sounded like she was in pain. I finally went to go get help and three aides and I all managed to get her standing up, cleaned up, and pants up. What an ordeal.

We sat and visited for awhile, but Mom looked like hell. We left and then Monday night I got a call that she'd been transported to the hospital. I was able to visit her Tuesday after work after being reassured that I didn't need to be on the first thing smokin. The dignosis was sepsis (!!!) possibly due to a UTI or pneumonia or both. I know UTIs in older patients is serious condition, and google tells me I should fear sepsis even more (thank you google, you fucker).

When I got to see her, she was groggy and in pain and the nurse asked me how long she'd been sitting on the toilet. This was Tuesday evening, and I recounted our long wait in the hallway on Saturday. Come to find out that Mom didn't come down for breakfast Monday, which isn't out of the ordinary for her. She didn't come down for dinner either, also not unusual, but in the same day, *that's* a problem. They came and checked on her and found her on the toilet again, throwing up a little and very weak. The nurse asked me about the wound on her butt. Um, what did you say? It appears that she'd been sitting on the toilet long enough to have an open wound in the shape of a toilet seat on her butt, I saw the picture the hospital took.

W. T. F.

Now an Adult Protective Services investigation is underway, initiated by the hospital social worker, who deserves a superhero cape in my opinion. After these many days in the hospital, she is responding well enough to the medical attention (no UTI, pneumonia antibiotics, pain medication, turning in bed, CT scan of head negative... maybe other stuff) that she is being discharged today to a rehab facility where she's been once before.

The goal at the rehab location is to PT to increase strength and tone to help get back to self transfers and to heal the wound. Mom spends a *LOT* of time sitting, except when she's lying down, also on her backside. Her time spent up and walking is ... nothing. It's the time spent transferring from one sit to another sit or lying down.

At her assisted living facility, a couple new services will be added to her account, things previously left to the resident--toileting assistance and skin checks. It sounds a little ... I can't think of the word. It's another assault on her previous adult independence.

She used to have it all together, as much as any of us. Then the stroke, that's the biggest bomb. The paralysis, the aphasia, those insults can fuck up your quality of life. Then my Dad died, her husband and caregiver, the man who loves her--another blow. She had to move across country, in with me and my family, which was chaos. Then move again to an assisted living facility. Some stability for awhile.

Time marches on as they say and her aging made her more susceptible to these new problems, and the indignities in response.

Protip:

Don't have a stroke.
Oh, BigV. I'm SO sorry to hear this news.

I lost both of my folks last summer, 18 days apart. For the 10 months prior, I did everything I possibly could to keep my folks safe and comfortable, but every day they slipped one notch lower on the healthy/independent scale.

It's crushing to watch a parent go through this. My heart is with you.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #10943
Griff
still says videotape
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 22,799
All our old folks are slipping right now. My MiLs hubby a retired professor of biology couldn't remember "porcupine" today.
__________________
If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you.
- Louis D. Brandeis
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #10944
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 18,625
Sorry to hear that, Griff. Was he doing the whole, "the, uh, the little animal with spikes, what's it called," or did he say the wrong word without knowing?
__________________
My book
My spirit animal
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #10945
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Central...KY that is
Posts: 32,070
Sorry to hear about Mom, V. Sounds like you/they have things more in control now.
__________________


These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #10946
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 25,400
Quote:
Now an Adult Protective Services investigation is underway, initiated by the hospital social worker, who deserves a superhero cape in my opinion.
Sometimes it just takes that one person to make a difference.
__________________
Quote:
There's only so much punishment a man can take in pursuit of punani. - Sundae
http://sites.google.com/site/danispoetry/
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:31 PM   #10947
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 25,400
I have an update to my earlier unhappiness at not getting a bonus...


management have listened to the feedback (howls of derision on the company Yammer and message board and a palpable freeze in morale) and, with the input of the union reps cooked up a response over the weekend.

Yesterday we got into work to emails advising us that while we won't be getting our bonus, we are now getting a 'discretionary recognition award' - it's about 60% of what we would have got as a bonus, but 100% more than we were getting as we went into the weekend
__________________
Quote:
There's only so much punishment a man can take in pursuit of punani. - Sundae
http://sites.google.com/site/danispoetry/
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:29 PM   #10948
glatt
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 26,139
I'm pleased for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
but 100% more than we were getting as we went into the weekend
But now I'm thinking about math and am unsure of myself.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #10949
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 25,400
Well...the maths is no doubt incorrect - very much not my strong suit :P
__________________
Quote:
There's only so much punishment a man can take in pursuit of punani. - Sundae
http://sites.google.com/site/danispoetry/
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:57 PM   #10950
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 18,625
[tangent]My kids call it "maths" ironically, because some of their favorite British YouTubers do it and they think it's hilarious.[/tangent]
__________________
My book
My spirit animal
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
swiss


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.