The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #16
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

On the gubmint warning site, the figure is definitely not arms akimbo.

On the "my filing techniques are unstoppable" one arm is akimbo.

And one more thing, why is it that other's humor is not dissected and smashed, and the other jokers don't get made to feel like an idiot for finding something funny? My guess is most of you are jealous because I'm so much funnier than most of the rest of you. The exceptions don't need to treat me like dog food.

So there's that.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #17
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Take another look Shawnee. tombstone only criticizes the web site, not you.

He (or she) dislikes a web site that you like, and you make a personal attack.

I find that uncool.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #18
Shawnee123

You and about 100 others.

I'm sorry I'm not cool in your eyes. Seriously. Lucky tombstone has you to back him/her. Or was it yourself you were backing? Methinks...something about protesting too much.

--the Fonz
Old 08-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #19
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
On the gubmint warning site, the figure is definitely not arms akimbo.

On the "my filing techniques are unstoppable" one arm is akimbo.

And one more thing, why is it that other's humor is not dissected and smashed, and the other jokers don't get made to feel like an idiot for finding something funny? My guess is most of you are jealous because I'm so much funnier than most of the rest of you. The exceptions don't need to treat me like dog food.

So there's that.
I remember hearing about a study (on NPR of course) that proved that people with no sense of humor had no way of knowing that they had no sense of humor. It's quite a conundrum.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #20
Shawnee123

I've been thinking about this exchange. Though YES my feelings were hurt when they probably shouldn't have been, let me ask you this:

Do you typically walk into a room, go up to someone you don't know, and tell them "your hair is stupid" or "is that the best music you could find" or "quit telling those stupid stories"?

No, I bet you would not say those things even if you thought them. Being on the interwebz does not excuse making people feel bad about themselves or things they enjoy. The best response would have been NOTHING.

My best response would have been to say exactly what I just said.

Then I look at it this way: it's always easy to sit and wait like a spider for Shawnee to make what you perceive to be a social gaffe; most people can't stand her anyway and I'm sure I'll get lots of support and love. It's a cellar story as old as the hills, but there are SO many people here I like and respect so I keep coming back even though I know my slightest transgression will cause someone to tell me I'm uncool. I must have lost my rights to be a human being around post #1245.

And in case you've never met me: I often respond in a smartass way to my perceived slights...but there is humor behind it, and I do believe I still have every right to call someone on crappy behavior, whether you believe I have those rights or not.

Call a mod, have me evicted, whatever you think is best. I still maintain that I would not walk up to a stranger and insult them or anything about them. Society tells me to hang on to those insults until I know a person a bit better.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #21
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I love you, Shawnee, and I think you're hilarious.

Jinxie----(mind if I call you Jinxie? Reminds me of Pixie which reminds me of you--lemme know, k?) that gubmint website made me laugh so hard I think my stomach muscles actually got a workout similar to Pilates. YAY!

and I think you're a smart cookie, too, Shawnee.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #22
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
Take another look Shawnee. tombstone only criticizes the web site, not you.
I disagree. He/she said "that thing that Shawnee found is stupid." He/she personalized it by using her name.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:30 PM   #23
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Shawnee, I think your humor is hillarious, you don't need no stinkin' exterior website.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #24
dar512

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I disagree. He/she said "that thing that Shawnee found is stupid." He/she personalized it by using her name.
Are you reading intent to put down Shawnee in his message? Cause I'm not seeing it.

In any case, he's not allowed to have a critical opinion of something Shawnee likes? In that case, what about all the folks here who are critical of the Catholic church? Should I start telling people to STFU?

I never intended to make a big deal over this. I just thought Shawnee was overly harsh to a newbee who was just posting an opinion. It wasn't even wholly critical.

I think it is possible to discuss issues and topics without resorting to personal attacks. It bugs me when I see it cropping up.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #25
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I love you too Shawnee. :-) You laugh at my jokes and very few can say that! hahaha *HUGS*
Old 08-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #26
Shawnee123

Thanks guys.

I can only reiterate that it is also uncool to walk up to a stranger and tell them that something they have recently referred to is stupid. No, tombstone does not have to like it...but it's quite rude to say what he said.

I think my biggest personal attack was, as usual, at myself...for letting that comment get to me and then for reacting. It's something I've been working on, and it's my fault that past transgressions perhaps make me overly suspect...but it was a crappy comment on tomb's part and you made me feel even worse.

I'm not the first to call out a newbie, and I won't be the last.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #27
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
what about all the folks here who are critical of the Catholic church? Should I start telling people to STFU?
If that's what you want to do I think you should give it try, see how it works out for you...

Quote:
Jinxie----(mind if I call you Jinxie? Reminds me of Pixie which reminds me of you--lemme know, k?)
Well you just made me picture myself like a pixie.... aside from that, I guess Im ok with it....

Shawnee - fuck'em if they can't take a joke.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #28
dar512

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
If that's what you want to do I think you should give it try, see how it works out for you...
Thanks. I'll pass. I think everyone should be allowed to express their opinions.

It makes it easier to identify the nutcases.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #29
Shawnee123

I AM one of the nutcases.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #30
tombstone
Disorderly Orderly

Oh, gosh, Shawnee, I'm so sorry! I never meant my remarks about the website you mentioned to be construed as as an insult to you. I merely meant exactly what I said--nothing more. Also, I did not intend "Tombstone" to be my moniker. Not being too computer-savvy, I typed it in the wrong place and didn't realise it until too late. Tombstone only enters in because I have some family history in the town, including a great uncle who was a local gambler and gunslinger and friend of Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday. The fact that he was a great uncle will give you some clue as to my age, and today, I am feeling very old indeed! Please accept my apology.
tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote