The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-28-2009, 12:06 AM   #1
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

It's Me Or The Dog

If you've seen the show, It's Me Or The Dog on TV, you know I'm talking about a show where people have out of control dogs and they call in a dog trainer to 'fix' their animals.

The thing I've noticed is that so many people have large dogs that they keep in units or apartments or flats. It just doesn't make any sense to me, and I wonder why people do it.

Sure I can understand that to some people, pets are very important. I'm a pet lover myself, but I don't get why people get pets that really aren't suitable for the environment they live in.

Am I the only one, or are there others like me out there?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, some people... Hey Jumbo, stop scuffing the ceiling... now where we?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
Aliantha

I just don't get the whole thing about a massive dog or dogs in a tiny little flat. It just doesn't make sense.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Bigger dogs cover more dirt on the rug.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:26 AM   #5
Aliantha

lol...yeah...and leave more hair to collect in the clutter.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:26 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

If I've learned anything in 17 years of dealing with crazy people it's that people, even the ones that we believe with a reasonable degree of certainty are sane, rarely, if ever, make sense.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #7
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

Some large breeds are fine in small homes, and some small breeds are unsuitable. As long as exercise requirements are met, the sighthounds (greyhounds, borzois, salukis, afghans, etc.) love to slump onto a couch and nap away. Breeds like border collies, beagles, and some terriers need a lot of exercise or they get flabby and crabby. When taking on an animal, one takes on the animal's needs. I have seen that show before, and others like it, and I think some people should be told to re-home their dogs and get a Furby instead.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I agree with Ali and Sweet.
I think lifestyle and surroundings are often more imprtant than living space - if you're a dog lover you will deal with a big dog in a small place. But if said dog never gets to go more than walking pace because it can never be let off the lead it seems a shame for them.

We had a small dog, but she was a terrier/ collie mix and needed a LOT of exercise. Her size was suitable to our house and garden, but her breed was also suitable to our family and surroundings. A family with three active children and a very active father (Dad was still playing cricket in those days and could throw a ball so far only the dog could see it). And we were only on the edge of our estate, from the front and side there was miles of wasteland and arable farmland. We had the time and inclination to take her out for hours (especially in the summer) and did so.

Of course my parents had the sense to forbid us to go into fields with animals in - and never off the lead. I ignored this once and got such a dressing down from Mum that I wished the farmer had seen me and shot me. Never did it again though

I wish they had one of those behavioural programmes for cats. Diz is being a pain in the buttski at the moment - crying the whole time he is shut away. He has everything he needs (including my company usually) and if the door was open he would be fine and settled. But because it's closed he creates like no-one's business.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
Some large breeds are fine in small homes, and some small breeds are unsuitable. As long as exercise requirements are met, the sighthounds (greyhounds, borzois, salukis, afghans, etc.) love to slump onto a couch and nap away. Breeds like border collies, beagles, and some terriers need a lot of exercise or they get flabby and crabby. When taking on an animal, one takes on the animal's needs. I have seen that show before, and others like it, and I think some people should be told to re-home their dogs and get a Furby instead.

I've always loved Irish Wolfhounds (sighthound also), ever since I saw one on Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show some years ago. No WAY a Wolfhound would be happy in this place and I wouldn't subject one to such a small space, but the image of one napping on my couch gave me a huge smile.

Someday...
Old 01-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
Pie
Gone and done

Age of the animal is a factor too.

I might be 'inheriting' my mother's Australian shepherd dog. While they usually need a lot of exercise, she's quite a bit older now, and moderate walks around the neighborhood will be enough for her. And chasing our cats.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

Yes, age enters into it too, also general health. Dogs can be trained to treadmills, especially a highly tractable and intelligent pup like the A. shepherd. But walking is a good bonding activity. Someday I hope to convince a zoo to provide wolves with a modified (extra wide, and snag-proof) treadmill so they can run themselves happy. Stupid lions get the large enclosures because of their size, while the wolves go catatonic in enclosures often far below their requirements.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
Aliantha

I dunno if I'd agree about the greyhounds being happy to nap on the couch after the show they had on yesterday about a couple with two young greyhounds...which inspired my thread. lol

It's true though that some larger breeds are fine in smaller spaces. Our dog Sheba who's great dane cross would be fine. She's happy to lie around most of the time, and she's very well house trained. Sally on the other hand who's a mini-fox terrier would hate being stuck inside all day. She just loves to run.

I suppose my point is, get a dog suitable for being indoors most of the time, even if you do plan to walk it or let it run in an enclosure for an hour or so every day.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Oh yeah, yesterdays show made me sick.

How could they leave those dogs locked up inside to shit and pee in that little area??

Ive always had big dogs, Great Dane x's, Wolfhound x's, Rotti...genuinely they are happy to laze around...so long as they get regular exercise.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

The dog stays.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #15
Aliantha

Yeah...and it was in the kitchen too!

I couldn't believe it.