The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 09-07-2013, 02:39 AM   #46
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Really?
See now to me, red squirrels have a Scottich accent. But then that's because they live there mostly. They were driven out by the pesky American grey squirrels. No, really.

That said, I adore squirrels. Seeing one used to be enough to convince me I was going to have a good day.
Although I had to change that method of divination when I moved to Leicester; the whole of Limes Walk was heaving with them, and I walked down it to a job I hated every day.

A really lovely story, Grav.
Thanks.

(Hope the youngun' doesn't get bit. They can carry rabies you know.)
Just call me your Sundae Sunshine
Old 09-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #47
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Raising babby squirrels is kind of a rite of passage for the kids in my neck o' the woods.

I think it gives a small lesson in responsibility (and early exposure to death, in a lot of cases).

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #48
limegreenc
shed door curio

How so?
limegreenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #49
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Well, kids raise the squirrel. To raise a babby squirrel to viability requires responsibility, feeding several times a day, making it a warm comfy place for it, just taking care of it in general.

And, quite often the squirrel dies anyway, and the kid learns just a bit about death and the acceptance of same.

Maybe it's more of an opportunity for the parents to explain death, and how it's part of life, to the child.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #50
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

In my neck o' the woods, it's babby rabbits. The kids discover a nest with babbies. They're thrilled. I tell them the momma goes out foraging and leaves the babbies 'til sundown. I cross my fingers and hope hope hope she comes back.
She doesn't come back, having been picked off by one of the pair of hawks that nest in the big cottonwood by the creek.

So the kids cry and won't go to sleep and want to raise the babby rabbits ...

We did that more than once. It went the usual way: the runt died and the kids had to cope with the death; the others thrived, and the kids had to feed them multiple times a day and check on them constantly, etc., and finally release them into the woods behind our place.

Squirrels in PA are all black. In Ottawa, long ago, there were red, gray, AND black squirrels. More than I've ever seen, since. I've been disappointed in the mid-Atlantic squirrel census.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #51
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I had me a babby rabbit.

It's still pining for the fjords to this day.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #52
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Owner Richard Alexander said the squirrel meat was free range, low fat and low on air miles.
From the original article of this thread. Can someone explain how 'air miles' refers to squirrels of the non-flying variety?

I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #53
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Try this, Rich...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
If you genuinely mean WTF Grav, I'll elucidate.
Being a maritime temperate climate (cool, lots of rain), but having a taste for exotic food partly fuelled by Colonialism, a lot of food is imported into the UK. There is a push to encourage people to simply eat seasonally, and only have overseas food as a treat.

For example don't buy strawberries in February, as they have to be flown in from ?Guatemala? For sure have the occasional avocado, as they are not grown here, but try to wait for your asparagus and buy British when it's in season.

It's especially powerful when it comes to meat; we import a lot of lamb (for example) from New Zealand, as their seasons are the exact opposite of ours. But it comes halfway round the world. Instead, try some meat from your doorstep. Or the roadside

Of course free-range animals will always be more expensive than those caged and/ or cultivated. Hence squirrel not being a cheap choice. Not much on the little critters either. But I'd rather eat a squirrel than have it incinerated. Mmmmm, nutty goodness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I'll buy that. I wanted to think "they don't mean airmiles literally", but, I see that they did. I overthunk it.

Kthxbai.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #54
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post

Squirrels in PA are all black. In Ottawa, long ago, there were red, gray, AND black squirrels. More than I've ever seen, since. I've been disappointed in the mid-Atlantic squirrel census.
Round here (NEPA) we have grays, reds, and flying squirrels. No blacks.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #55
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I've been infusing mah squrls w/coconut via coconut cookies. Squrls ƒucking lurve coconut cookies.

Name:  coco the nutty squirrel 1.jpg
Views: 1861
Size:  171.9 KB
Name:  coco the nutty squirrel 2.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  135.1 KB

They will leave cracked corn to get these cookies.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #56
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

I wish I could go hunting in your yard! They look plump and tasty
Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #57
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Attached Images

Old 12-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #58
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Hah!

Old 12-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #59
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

@Bruce ...

I didn't think anyone could make me lol tonight
Old 03-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #60
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Oh Mr. DeMille...

Name:  Rocky.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  105.4 KB