The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 10-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #16
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

When the emoji is actually rendered, it's a smiling guy bowing. If you are reading on your phone, it won't render, and will instead just be the words "not worthy." (This being the thing that Wayne and Garth said in the recurring SNL skit "Wayne's World" when they bowed repeatedly at people and/or things they adored.)

Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:44 AM   #17
Pi
desperate finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
No.
Sorry!
Old 10-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's OK, just lost in translation. I don't think anyone in the Cellar has every declared any topic unworthy of discussion, from the best way to fart in public to tw's diatribes. We may disagree, criticize, mock, or agree, but everyone deserves their chance to step into the ring and give it their best shot.*

*George Foreman.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #19
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Ladies and jelly-bellies,

I come before you
To stand behind you
To tell you something
I know nothing about

Next Thursday
Which is Good Friday
There will be a Mother's Day meeting
For fathers only

Admission is free
Pay at the door
Grab a seat
And sit on the floor

Now stick around
For my next favorite
Titled:
The Four Corners of the Round Table

Thank you.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:20 AM   #20
Griff
still says videotape

Congrats Pi!
Old 10-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #21
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Ladies and jelly-bellies,

I come before you
To stand behind you
To tell you something
I know nothing about

Next Thursday
Which is Good Friday
There will be a Mother's Day meeting
For fathers only

Admission is free
Pay at the door
Grab a seat
And sit on the floor

Now stick around
For my next favorite
Titled:
The Four Corners of the Round Table

Thank you.
Ladles and jelly spoons...

(and a host of other permutations)
http://www.emule.com/2poetry/phorum/read.php?7,153336,154033#msg-154033<br
Old 10-04-2016, 04:21 PM   #22
sexobon

I posted the version my father heard when he was a kid and passed on to me when I was.

It's a fairly old one.

Last edited by sexobon; 10-04-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:46 PM   #23
Pi
desperate finder

Apparently I'm the guy for special operations as I'll be sent to talk to high school kids (14-15 yo) talking about WW 1 and the difference between living conditions in the trenches and those of troops deployed nowadays.
I'll have some MRE's to taste and some of my gear iot to compare with what they saw during their trip to Verdun, France.
I'll read some of my mails I sent back home during my deployments and show some pictures.
Lucky me I always was on the REMF team so to show then some comparable stuff I thought visioning some minutes from "Restrepo" but msinly living conditions (eat, sleep, shit).
What are your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So it's Professor Pi now, cool.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:18 PM   #25
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
So it's Professor Pi now, cool.
I am starting to believe some of you are smarter than I am.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:38 AM   #26
sexobon

I've lectured high school students on the role of US Special Forces (aka Green Berets) in warfare. They seemed to be most interested in the elements for which they had no experiences for comparison.

With your topic, there will be much to contrast. The students may not; however, find contrasting a WWI compass & map with a present day GPS to be particularly interesting since GPS; or, smartphone with navigation app may be something they already take for granted. Perhaps it would be better to not spend as much time elaborating on those kinds of items.

OTOH, there may be something that you take for granted that they have no experiences to compare with. Something like Gore-Tex wear (or other brand of waterproof-breathable, moisture vapor permeable material) would be worth elaborating on since they probably don't have any. You could explain that it's used in parkas, over-trousers, gloves, socks, bivy bag covers...etc. and that it consists of billions of pores per square inch that are too small for water molecules to pass through yet large enough for water vapor molecules to pass through. In addition to being rainproof, it enables perspiration to evaporate out through clothing to keep people drier and prevents condensation from building up in a bivy bag. It's worth its weight in gold in the field.

Another item they probably have no comparable experience with is a gas mask (i.e. full face respirator). They've seen pictures; but, have no idea what it's like on the inside looking out. At the beginning of your presentation, you could loosen the head harness and demonstrate how to don a mask. Then you can let the students pass it around to look at and/or try on while you're continuing the presentation. Pass a box of alcohol prep pads around with it so students can wipe inside nose cup between them. Tell them to think about what it would be like having to work in one of those.

Anyway, you get my drift. When contrasting WWI items to today's counterparts, the items of today they're least familiar with may be the most interesting comparisons for them and you may want to allot those more time.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:11 AM   #27
Pi
desperate finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
I've lectured high school students on the role of US Special Forces (aka Green Berets) in warfare. They seemed to be most interested in the elements for which they had no experiences for comparison.

With your topic, there will be much to contrast. The students may not; however, find contrasting a WWI compass & map with a present day GPS to be particularly interesting since GPS; or, smartphone with navigation app may be something they already take for granted. Perhaps it would be better to not spend as much time elaborating on those kinds of items.

OTOH, there may be something that you take for granted that they have no experiences to compare with. Something like Gore-Tex wear (or other brand of waterproof-breathable, moisture vapor permeable material) would be worth elaborating on since they probably don't have any. You could explain that it's used in parkas, over-trousers, gloves, socks, bivy bag covers...etc. and that it consists of billions of pores per square inch that are too small for water molecules to pass through yet large enough for water vapor molecules to pass through. In addition to being rainproof, it enables perspiration to evaporate out through clothing to keep people drier and prevents condensation from building up in a bivy bag. It's worth its weight in gold in the field.

Another item they probably have no comparable experience with is a gas mask (i.e. full face respirator). They've seen pictures; but, have no idea what it's like on the inside looking out. At the beginning of your presentation, you could loosen the head harness and demonstrate how to don a mask. Then you can let the students pass it around to look at and/or try on while you're continuing the presentation. Pass a box of alcohol prep pads around with it so students can wipe inside nose cup between them. Tell them to think about what it would be like having to work in one of those.

Anyway, you get my drift. When contrasting WWI items to today's counterparts, the items of today they're least familiar with may be the most interesting comparisons for them and you may want to allot those more time.
Yes, I thought about bringing my goretex, but the gas mask is a great idea especially in context wirh WWI.
T'hey read a compilation of letters sent by soldiers to their families and picked out the most shoking or interesting facts. It's mostly licing co ditions andthe fact that french soldiers have been courtmarshalled and executed by firing squads...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #28
Sohbet
Banned

Güzel bir paylaşım
Sohbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #29
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohbet View Post
Güzel bir paylaşım
Turkish. "A nice share.", according to Google.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #30
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Easy for you to say....