Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
It just seems like people are blaming Obama, because the web site for it, is the shits. Obama didn't create the web site!

The Republicans tried to tell everyone that there was a bad side to Obamacare - higher rates for one thing, and cancelled low cost policies for another - but nobody believed that.

Now under the new changes, I'll have to be insured for:

*mental health - in case I decide to go crazy.
*maternity care - in case I decide to get pregnant.
*breast cancer screenings - some men do get breast cancer, but I don't know any men who get breast cancer screenings.

--snip
Let me ask you Adak, how many times have you used the women's restroom in a public place?

Probably your answer is zero. Yet, your tax dollars pay for that part of the program and that's been true since you've paid taxes, but I've never heard you crying about that. The same logic applies to requiring all ACA compliant polices to cover maternity care, just as no public building would ever be built with bathroom facilities for only one gender. We're one public, there's one reasonable standard of care, and that's been established in the minimum standards for policies.

Let's look at it another way. Presume the rules were different, and we didn't require policies issued to males to have maternity care, and that policies issued to females did have maternity coverage. Now, the policies are different, how would you rationalize the different costs of these different classes of coverage? Would you let the prices be different, based on the sex of the insured? Would you hold the costs the same and force one group to subsidize the other? Let one group pay for something they'd never use? Let one group get coverage for something they didn't pay for? How do you slice that up? How many exceptions do you want to include once you travel down this path?

How many prostate cancer screenings will women have? How many childhood immunizations will you have? The list could go on and on and on, as I'm sure you can see. Lots of federal regulations are in place that don't touch my life directly, but they serve a purpose appropriately.

I had thought about taking a cheap shot about your mental illness not having been a choice of yours at all, but I have thought better about it. Mental illness is not a choice, you know that, you're just being an ass about it.