The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-26-2001, 10:51 AM   #1
dave

All Time Favorite Movies

Okay. I have entirely too much free time at work. That's my boss' fault for not giving me enough to do. So now that I've justified my Cellar habit...

What is your favorite movie of all time, and why?

If you can't name just one, then name a few.

Just sit there, think for a second, and then spit it out.

Here, I'll go first.

And, uh... Spoiler warning. Yeah.

American Beauty - I have been a Kevin Spacey fan for years. After I first saw Swimming With Sharks, I began seeing everything he was in. Well, in October of 1999, I was in Toronto with a friend and we wanted to go see a movie. Looking in the paper, we saw that this film American Beauty was playing soon. All I knew about the film was that Kevin Spacey was starring. I think someone suggested we go see Mystery, Alaska but I was adamant. So, off to the theater we went.

Two hours and a few minutes later, I was sitting in the theater smiling. The main character was dead. Murdered. And I was smiling. I saw it again a few days later. When I got back to Maryland, I went to see it with my friend Megan. It was then that I began to fully appreciate the movie. It helped me see the world in a different light. It changed my life.

I saw it four more times in the theater, each time going with someone new. My sister, who was skeptical at first, went with me to see it twice. It's the only movie she's seen in the theater twice, and it remains her favorite movie. It's Megan's favorite movie. Jenni, my better half/significant other, considers it her favorite movie as well.

I own the VHS version, and Jenni and I each have a copy on DVD. I've seen it at least 20 times. Each time, I am brought to tears at the end. For any number of reasons. And each time, it reminds me why life is so special. Why we're lucky to be alive. It remains my favorite movie, and likely will. No movie has touched me as deeply, nor moved me as far. It was what I needed to see at a hard time in my life. It has changed me.

It's A Wonderful Life - I saw this after I got back from Toronto. This is my dad's favorite movie, and I finally buckled down and watched it. And it was spectacular. It's dated, but it's moving. I can't help but come to tears at the end. It reminds me that even though things may not be working out the way you envisioned them, it's still a wonderful thing to be alive. My #2/#3 movie, tied with the next one.

The Shawshank Redemption - besides being a good story and coming together like a true masterpiece, this movie teaches a lesson as well - that our bonds with loved ones are the most important thing, and that keeping hope throughout the hard times can be a great thing. It is, in my opinion, a more well-done movie than It's A Wonderful Life, but they're still equal in my eyes. Another truly great movie.

Now, aside from the emotional "lucky to be alive" dramas, I have another list of favorites. I'll try and touch on these a bit quicker.

Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb - the best black comedy ever. Kubrick is amazing.

The Godfather / The Godfather Part II - Exceptionally well done in every way. True epics. Two of the best films ever released. Part III wasn't too shabby either. Can't wait for the DVD release next month.

Fight Club - When I first saw it, I didn't think it was anything special. I liked it, but didn't consider it great. But after I got back from Toronto (I saw a lot of movies in Toronto, w00t), I thought about it more. The attention to detail is pretty spectacular, and the little hints that are dropped leading up to the ending make the movie something I can watch over and over, picking up more each time.

Chasing Amy - I love Clerks and Mallrats and Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but Chasing Amy is the best of the bunch. It's real. That's what makes it a great movie.

GoodFellas - I can't get enough of it. One of Scorsese's better pictures. Great pacing, great photography... GreatFellas.

And there are a tone more. I'm a movie buff. I have nearly 100 dvds (after getting a DVD player in Februrary - let's see, that's about 14 DVD's/month) and over 100 VHS movies (which I bought from about June of 2000 until February, when I stopped buying VHS). I've seen a lot of movies, I like a lot of movies... but those are just some of the more notable ones.

So... what's your favorite movie? Why?
Old 09-26-2001, 06:23 PM   #2
Parabolate
Expectorant Inspector

Dark City - probably my all time favourite film. It's beautifully dark, and represents an amazing little microcosm of the entire human race. People complain about the holes in the narrative, but that's what makes it work. You get sucked into the confused, amnesiac world of John Murdoch and the Strangers, and it just doesn't let me go.

The Matrix - Just a great film. The concept, the visuals, the story, Lawrence Fishburne (legend), cars driving on the wrong side of the road in Sydney. It's just a fantastic film and I can't wait for the sequels. Finally, Keanu Reeves' constant confused look actually looks right in one of his movies.

Fight Club - Visually brilliant. The ultimate designer's movie. Awesome storyline that mutates and contorts into something incredible from the beginning to end, and inspirational and life-changing as well

Resovoir Dogs - a great look at the world of crime. Great characters, with awesome script and direction from Tarantino. Some of the world's best actors in it, too.

Dogma - yeah, Kevin Smith's others are great, too, but this is my favourite. It would be nice if Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back actually came out in Australia some time in the next two hundred years, because I'm sick of hearing Americans and Canadians rant about how good it is. Dogma's great because it's such a fantasy film. I have a lot of interest in religious mythology and Apocalyptic concepts, and this was funny as well. Of course God has a sense of humour - just look at the platypus."

Akira - Awesome animation and storyline. I've heard that the original version is 4 hours long and has a rather different storyline to the one that got general release, but I don't know much about it. Nevertheless, it is a purely amazing film that sucks me in and traps me in it's little universe.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - I'm not sure why I love this film so much. It's mainly because it's so funny, but there's more to it than that. Just brilliant, really.

Others include Blade Runner, The Fifth Element, Star Wars (all of them), Spaceballs, 2001 a Space Odysee, American Beauty, Outbreak, and others that I can't remember right now. As you can probably tell, I'm a bit of a sci-fi fan, but there's other stuff I like as well.
Parabolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 06:34 PM   #3
jaguar
whig

American Beauty - No doubt about it. Brilliantly crafted film. Seem it 4 times at the movie (once on a huge screen on the botanical gardens) and own the DVD..

Fight Club - Thousands of reasons i love this movie, everything it explores is great, the ending was a bit weak but still, fantastic film. Twisting warping film in a way few films manage to pull off.

Mall Rats - If you've seen it you know what i mean.....Truely hilarious film that was the start of a generallyvery average genre.
Old 09-26-2001, 08:45 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Clerks: "My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!" "In a row?" *rofl* Enough said.

Mallrats: One of the most underrated movies of all time. Jason Lee was excellent as Brodie...not to mention Jay & Silent Bob themselves. "I'd do it myself, but I threw my back out humpin' your mom last night, nooge."

I'm sorry...those two movies are so damned crude...yet I nearly lose it every time I see 'em.

Pulp Fiction: Some people just don't get this one, but Tarantino is God. I love the way he put the storyline together.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 08:45 AM   #5
Galadriel
Alphabetarian

I couldn't possibly make a definitive list of my favorite movies and certainly not put them in any kind of order, but these are some of my favorites...today.

Willow Saw the whole thing for the first time recently. Yeah the special effects are pretty rough, but it still kicks ass.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Michelle Yeow, Chow Yun Fat, and Ang Lee. Enough said.

Anything Marx Brothers Sure some of their later stuff was losing its edge, but Duck Soup, Horse Feather, and Animal Cracker were some of the greatest cinema ever.

The Princess Bride I think the main reason I loved this movie so much was the fact that the first time I saw it I had no idea what is was about, I had never even heard of it. It was just so surprising, I still watch the DVD every couple of weeks.

The Matrix Again like The Princess Bride, this was a complete surprise. Because of the trailers I had seen I thought my then boyfriend/now husband was dragging me to see some brainless action movie. I remember after the credits started rolling we just looked at each other and said "DAMN."

Spaceballs and Blazing Saddles Mel Brooks is a comedic genuis.

Empire Strikes Back Don't even start. Everyone knows Empire was the better movie. I mean, come on, Luke learns Vadar is his father and has him chop his hand off, all in matter of seconds. It doesn't get any better.
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 07:56 PM   #6
lisa
Etherial

It's a Wonderful Life - You got that one right, dhamsaic. This has been my favorite movie since I first saw it about 20 years ago. Yeah, some might call it sappy, but I think it teaches an important lesson about how our attitude toward life can change everything, and how many lives we can affect.

Somewhere in Time - One of the best love stories I have ever seen with, unfortunately, one of the saddest scenes I have ever seen. Without giving away much to those who haven't seen it, the "coin scene" just ripped me up something terrible -- it always takes me 20 minutes to stop crying at the end of this one.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 10:21 PM   #7
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Hey...did anyone watch "ER" tonight?

I know Tarantino had nothing to do with the new episode, but it sure felt like it the way the storyline kept moving around!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 01:12 AM   #8
Parabolate
Expectorant Inspector

Hmmm... No, I don't watch ER. Besides, it'll be about 400 years before the episode that you watched last night reaches Austraila.
Old 09-28-2001, 07:50 AM   #9
babeecow
Kinda New Member

favorite movies

How do you choose a favorite?
These are just a few that I love---

Natural Born Killers / Pulp Fiction(of course)
Election (very dark, very funny)
The Matrix(of course)
Happiness (if u haven't seen this do so now!)
Requiem for a Dream (Ellen Burstyn is incredible)
Bringing Out the Dead (intense & amazing, nobody else seems to like it, though??)
Goodfellas (is it possible to not like this movie?)
Soylent Green / Planet of the Apes ( Chuck Heston nuff said!)
Joe vs the Volcano (another one that people seem to dislike)
Notting Hill (yes, I am a girl!)
Lost in America/Defending Your Life (I'm a huge Albert Brooks fan)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (just because)
Same Time Next Year (another chick flick-but really good)
Ferris Bueler's Day Off (saw it in the theater-I'm old)
Evil Dead / Army of Darkness (Bruce Campbell-my hero!)
The Big Lebowski / Fargo / O Brother Where Art Thou (Cohen Bros are amazing)
I guess I should shut up now. I could go on for hours---but I should actually go to work.
Hope I did everything right, this is the first time I've replied to a post.
babeecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 06:25 PM   #10
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

How do you choose a favorite indeed? Here are a few of mine:

Breaker Morant- The finest thing to come out of Australia in the last 50 years. One of the best movies I've ever seen.

Pink Flamingos- Hell, anything directed by John Waters. I'm from Baltimore. Whaddya expect?

The Sands of Iwo Jima- Worth watching just to hear John Wayne utter the immortal words: "Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." Amen.

The Blues Brothers- The cameo of John Lee Hooker in front of Aretha Franklin's diner redeems any other shortcomings this movie may have.

Grosse Pointe Blank- I can't explain why. Maybe it's the soundtrack. Maybe it's Minnie Driver in the tight green shirt. Maybe it's the final shootout while Dan Akroyd tries to convince John Cusack to join his union. It's all good.

Titanic- I watch Titanic for the same reason people slow down to stare at car wrecks. This movie sucks in so many ways it's impossible NOT to watch. I can't help it. I giggle like a schoolgirl every time I see the top of Leonardo DiCaprio's head disappearing under the water.
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 08:13 PM   #11
jaguar
whig

Argh! I forgot Pulp Fiction!!!

When i first read titanic you lost all my respect till i read the blurb..

I"ve gone ot great lengths to avoid seeing that film, great, great lengths.
Old 09-30-2001, 05:46 PM   #12
Parabolate
Expectorant Inspector

Hey, yeah, I forgot a few.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Pulp Fiction
Grosse Pointe Blank
Whole Nine Yards (pissed myself laughing)
Romeo And Juliet (Baz Lurhman's version)
The Big Lebowski
Office Space
Gattaca

And after last Friday, I'm going to add A.I. to the list. I thought it was excellent.

And thought Titanic was quite good, actually. I too went to great lengths to avoid it, but ultimately failed, and quite enjoyed it. I'm not saying it's fantastic, and there are some definite gripes that I have with it (FIND ANOTHER PIECE OF WOOD, YOU IDIOT!!) but it was quite good.

And while I'm whinging about crap Oscar-winning films, how crap was Gladiator? Everyone said it was so freaking good, but it was boring. Nothing really happened for the whole movie. And the characters were empty, too. Lifeless piece of crap. CT,HD should have won that oscar.

Last edited by Parabolate; 09-30-2001 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2001, 05:52 PM   #13
rainman
Non-Newbie Sort

Pulp Fiction
Resovoir Dogs
Schindler's List
A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Pi
Shawshank Redemption
Seven
Chinatown
Citizen Kane
Trainspotting
Memento
Quills
Requiem for a Dream
Saving Private Ryan
The Graduate
rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 06:09 PM   #14
scampo
Homeskillet

Thumbs up 5 Favorite Movies

I watch at least 5 movies a week, and sometimes many more, but there are a few movies that I can watch over and over again and not get tired of. Whether or not there is a few good parts, or the whole movie is great, some movies just stand out to me.

Resovoir Dogs
Fight Club
Almost Famous
Rock Star
Animal House
scampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 06:45 PM   #15
verbatim
Vice-President of Resentment

THE BIG LEBOWSKI- just cause they base a whole movie around a guy trying to get his rug back that somebody pissed on. that is my alltime favorite movie. nuff said.
verbatim is offline   Reply With Quote