The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #1861
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oldie (by today's throwaway standards) but a real goodie.
In my mind, Blur beat Oasis hands down at the time, and the achievements of the band members have rocked my socks off since.

It's not even North/ South bias.
And yes, being all girlie about it, it does help that Alex James and Damon Albarn were so damned goodlooking.

But really - Damon Albarn scored a musical based on Wu_Cheng's novel. Alex James is a pig farmer. The boys tick my boxes.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #1862
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Fuck.

I didn't recognize the name of the song. Now I got that damnable "Woo hoo!" in my head.

Again.

Fuck, I says.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #1863
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

1972. krautrock. I was unaware and I am blown away. What is it, jazz? But it isn't!

hey you
you're losing you're losing you're losing you're losing
your vitamin c
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:10 PM   #1864
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well 1972 brought over 1,000 new albums, not including classical, children's and the other categories you might be exposed to.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #1865
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Mmm...canned okra.

The tune wasn't the worst thing I've ever heard, though.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:28 PM   #1866
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Google search says I never posted this here before, which sort of seems unlikely, but fine.

"Tie My Pecker To My Leg"

NSFW "I says bad words on my records" - Mojo Nixon

I believe this is the most American song ever recorded. I believe Mojo is the truest of all Americans. Mojo and his buddies wrote it, but I think if there was ever sheet music printed of this song, it would just say for a writer, "Traditional".
Old 08-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #1867
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

What is it, jazz? But it isn't, it's something entirely fresh and new. Try and label it, you will fail. Many of you will hate it and that is why it is ART. Don't bother clicking on it and playing it because it is very long and takes a full minute to really get up to speed.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #1868
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Progressive rock. I like it.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #1869
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Try and label it, you will fail.
Avant-garde.

Wasn't particularly bad. Didn't care much for the last third of the tune, though.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:32 AM   #1870
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

During the composition of my post in the concerts thread, I was serendipitously led to this track (thank you youtube autoplay) with: John Lee Hooker, Ry Cooder, Bonnie Raitt, Robert Cray, Carlos Santana, Charlie Musselwhite and others I can't identify.

Wow, what a constellation of talent.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #1871
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Avant-garde.

Wasn't particularly bad. Didn't care much for the last third of the tune, though.
That's the part where you're spinning faster and faster just before you fall down.

I liked it, very much, thanks UT.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:57 PM   #1872
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Air - Mike Mills (2004)

The song has three sections. The 4/4 first section has a very plain synth sound playing a wandering theme of 16th notes, over acoustic guitar, very reminiscent of Bach or it may even be a borrowed Bach theme.

This is pleasant enough, but it's rudely interrupted by a piano: also playing 16th notes, but over a 9/8 time, in an insistent repeating pattern. The 9/8 confuses us, and we struggle to resolve what has happened, partly because some of the underlying percussive sounds haven't changed since the opening. Are we stuck here?

As suddenly as the piano arrived, it leaves; now the song returns to 4/4 in recovery, and the original acoustic guitar background is back. Everything is calm now.

Strings enter, filling out the sound. They take time to tentatively graduate to 16th notes, but when they finally do, they are playing the original wandering theme.

It's the payoff. Everything has led to this. The plain vanilla analog synth that established the theme has been replaced by organic, human orchestration, and it's remarkable and beautiful.

This song is a beautiful morning, interrupted by a rude thunderstorm, returning slowly to beams of sun until the full glory of the day is with us.

This song has made me cry.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:20 PM   #1873
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

OK now that I've ended the thread.

I did enjoy this 1979 20/20 segment on this "New Wave" music. I was 17 when this aired and it does define my generation a li'l bit. Early X. For those of you born 1961-1967, enjoy?

Like all generations, it is funny to see the previous generation reporting on our trend. Kids these days! I remember a lot of hilarity poked at GI and Silent generation reporting on Baby Boomer phenomena.

part 1: Blondie, Devo, Elvis Costello, Clash

part 2: Talking Heads, Klaus Nomi
Old 09-04-2015, 03:19 PM   #1874
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Limey, what is it about Scotland that it produces so much amazing music?

I dare anyone to hate this. You cannot.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #1875
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

For one thing, vocalists like Maggie Bell.

Tags
music