The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Song Stories And Story Songs

Pretty self explanatory...Stories about songs and/or how they came to be. Songs that tell stories. Your stories about songs.

An example of a song story:

Another:

In the History Of The Eagles, Glenn Frey relates the story of how "Life In The Fast Lane" was born.

Quoting, more or less:

Quote:
So I'm in a Corvette with a drug dealer on our way to a poker game. We're both holding, big time. I looked over at the speedometer, and we're doing 95 on the 5 freeway [or where ever they were]. I looked at the guy and said "Are you crazy?", the guy said "Hey, that's life in the fast lane, pal.".
Here's what I mean by story song:

Your turn.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

One of my favourite story songs:

I have a bunch that I love, but my interwebnetz has been painfully slow just lately and I haven't the patience to keep on youtube.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Song Story

Quote:
"Green Onions" is an instrumental composition recorded in 1962 by Booker T. & the M.G.'s. Described as "one of the most popular instrumental rock and soul songs ever", the tune is twelve-bar blues with a rippling Hammond M3 organ line by Booker T. Jones that he wrote when he was just 17. The guitarist Steve Cropper used a Fender Telecaster on "Green Onions", as he did on all of the M.G.'s instrumentals.

According to Cropper, the title is not a marijuana reference; rather, the track is named after the Green Badger's cat, Green Onions, whose way of walking inspired the riff. Songfacts.com, however, ascribes the track's title to Jones. When asked by Stax co-owner Jim Stewart why he had given the track this title, Songfacts reports, Jones replied, "Because that is the nastiest thing I can think of and it's something you throw away." On a broadcast of the radio program Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! on June 24, 2013, Jones was asked about the title and said, "The bass player thought it was so funky, he wanted to call it 'Funky Onions', but they thought that was too low-class, so we used 'Green Onions' instead."
~Wiki

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Story Song

Old 10-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sounds like Cropper got asked that question a lot. Maybe he was having fun by just winging an answer.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Was just watching the Booker T vid above...

Man.

Thank God for Ann-Margaret.

I mean, just, just thank the Lord.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
Flint
Snowflake

Here's some research I did on one of Duran Duran's early-90s hits:

In 1980, new wave band Missing Persons was formed entirely of performers featured on Frank Zappa’s 1979 album Joe’s Garage, which chronicles the journey of self-discovery of a “latent appliance-fetishist” in a dystopian future where music is outlawed.

Missing Persons consisted of Warren Cuccurullo (amateur bodybuilder and nude model) on guitar, alongside (then) husband and wife team Dale Bozzio (vocals) and Terry Bozzio (drums), and later addition Patrick O'Hearn (bass).

After the break-up of Missing Persons in 1986, Terry Bozzio joined Patrick O'Hearn along with guitarist Andy Taylor (who was leaving the chart-topping English band, Duran Duran) to form Taylor’s solo band. Warren Cuccurullo took over guitar duties for Duran Duran, whom he joined as an official member in 1989. Cuccurullo co-wrote the 1993 hit songs Ordinary World and Come Undone.

Come Undone features the infamous "Ashley's Roachclip" drum break (from the 1974 Soul Searchers track) which has been used by artists as diverse as Public Enemy, Brian Eno, and Peter Murphy. Cuccurullo’s instrumental arrangement had been developed for a side project with Nick Rhodes (Duran Duran keyboardist) and Gavin Rossdale (of Bush), until Simon Le Bon heard the demo and was inspired to write lyrics dedicated to his wife, Yasmin.

"...Who do you need? Who do you love? When you come undone..."

expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 12-27-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote