The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 09-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #256
monster
I hear them call the tide

She was three when we moved here. Turns out it doesn't matter and she's on the team. The thing is, the next team after this is the National Team, but hopefully we'll have her "fixed" by then.

Now, wonder how hard it will be to keep it quiet from the swim coach?

I told the polo coach that Mo-Jo would kill us when she found out. She said well she doesn't need to find out --oh wait this is Mo-Jo we're talking about.....
Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #257
monster

They made her swim the backstroke tonight. I suspect coach found out......

Srsly, she didn't mind, she was OK with it and dropped 4 seconds. She also got to swim the 100 free which she's been wanting/begging to do and also dropped 4 seconds, getting her 3rd MISCA cut of the season. (MISCA is a "practice state meet" with slightly lower cuts aimed to help swimmers get their state cuts.) Last year she had a cut for breaststroke and was close in the IM so coach had her swim that anyway and she got the cut at the meet. This year she already has MISCA cuts in breaststroke (State cut in that too) IM (close to state should get that at MISCA if not before) and 100 free. Her personal bests are also faster than MISCA in fly and 200 free and she's really close on the 50 free. She's come a long way and still going....... Very proud.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #258
glatt

I don't really understand any of that, but if she's cutting 4 seconds off this and 4 seconds off that, I'm impressed. Way to go, Hebe!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #259
monster

thanks. her time to swim 100 free is now 57.55 seconds. The last time she raced she came it at 1:01.something. So yes, it's huge %age wise. At this level dropping 1 second is good.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #260
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
She was three when we moved here. Turns out it doesn't matter and she's on the team.
With times like she has you don't want to eat her all at once. Wait, that's a different joke. With times like she has, who needs enemies? No, not that. I'm getting closer though.

With times like she has they'd be crazy not to want her on the team!

"fix her" that's funny.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #261
monster

'nother meet, 'nother MISCA cut..... dropped 1.4 seconds in the 100 fly and didn't know she was swimming it until 10 minutes before the race (another swimmer was taken ill so they had to change the line-up because it was a close meet). plus.... that personal best was (a) recent and (b) swum in a "magic suit".

(MISCA is like a "practice" State meet -the times required are slightly lower, gives the swimmers a chance to race against lots with similar times in a championship environment for practice and also to help those who are close get their state cuts.)

btw last week she swam all freestyle -dropped 17 seconds in the 500 free (5%) nearly got a MISCA in that and in the 200.

There are 37 swimmers on the team. She is currently in the top 10 in every event (that's just about to change -tonight's results will drop her to #11 in the backstroke, althoug maybe not for long -that's her weak stroke and coach has determined to bring in someoutside help to sort her out! -she was supposed to get her stated cut in that tonight, but was truly awful.)

next one is thursday....
Old 10-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #262
monster

Weirdest Swim Meet Evaaaaah! kind of surreal. It was a gimme, so all the girls were swimming their worst events. (50 Free and 100 back for swimmer Girl).

But shortly after warm-up started, SG walked by and indicated that she was going to change into a "competition suit". (A "magic Suit"). These are reserved for Championships. They retail around $400 and last 8 meets. She said "see you in 45 minutes". She made it out in about 35, just in time for the start of the meet. Yup, they take that long to get into.

So one other swimmer comes out in one.

As the meet goes on, girls disappear -including a couple from the other team- and come back wearing these suits.

To the point where we were hoping for a flashmob thing......

nah, it was just coach's other half doing technical trials for Nike's new suit. (He developed the first one for Speedo -the one the olympians wear- but left last year after a row over that suit's replacement (he was right, it turned out...) )

#cuttingedgeofswimmingtechnology
Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #263
monster

Umm....

So...

She's kind of frightening me with her improvements.

They all swam their best events on Tues because it was a good team. They all swam horribly andlost a little horribly. Swimmers girl's best events are 100 breast and 200 IM

Tonight was THE local match-up they had to win But SG is being rested from her best events in the hope that she'll swim them even better on Saturday at MISCAs.

So she swam the 50 free .... dropped.29 seconds to swim a 26.74. That's nuts! One of my goals for her this season was to break the 27 -she just blew that away.

....and the 500 free

For the 4th time ever. She swam it a couple of weeks ago and dropped 15 seconds from last year. It's a 6-7 minute race for most, 5 plus change for champions. Last year she swam it twice and clocked 6 minutes both times.

She swam it a couple of weeks ago and dropped 17 seconds but coach was all "oooh you can do so much better....". So SG said to me and i passed on to coach that she feels abandoned. She doesn't know how to swim a 500.

coach said "oops, she's so awesome, I forget she's so inexperienced in some events...." result. Yesterday SG got trained in how to do it, today she dropped ANOTHER 15 seconds, and almost got a state cut.

As coach said, "this is not her event, she will never swim it at States, but it's awesome to know that she could"

And during the boring diving, I found out that she's swimming the fly, not the breast (as she though) at MISCAS on Saturday. it's cool, she already has a State Cut in Breast, coach has insisted all along that she's not a fly swimmer.. I think this is an admissio of guilt
Old 10-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #264
monster

ick

Miscas (= practice States)

added time to both events (fly and IM) but.... didn't swim in "magic suit" because coach declared it dead during warm-up. OK, so we kinda knew it was dead-ish, but on Monday she took it in for coach to check out and the verdict was -borderline, use it at Miscas and see how it goes. If you dump it during warm-up, you shoulda been able to dump it on Monday -it hasn't been anywhere since... and we coulda got her a new one in time. None available in her size for a loaner or to buy, apparently, and she was in early events, so not a lot of time available.... trying to get her fixed up fucked up her warm-up and her happy-place. Not a happy swim-mom tonight. (She swam OK, but we could have fixed this -a "magic suit" typically drops 3 seconds per 100 -she could have got 2 state cuts. Maybe. Now we'll never know
Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #265
monster

Just came home with another letter from nother college
Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #266
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

That's pretty exciting!! I wish her the best!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #267
monster

It was personalized to her stroke, fom a liberal arts college in PA. Div3
The last one was in MI.

She's still a sophomore, so we're not going to flap for at least another year unless there's a D1 or maybe D2 letter
Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #268
monster

Water Polo Olympic Development Program: Just got the news she made the Midwest Zone A-team for Regional Championships. Go Polo Girl!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #269
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Congratulations! Wow! Go Polo Girl!
(Nice job, Mom )
Old 02-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #270
glatt

Sweet! Way to go, Hebe!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote