The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #106
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Freddie Gray case: Charges dropped against remaining officers

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/27/us/fre...ers/index.html
Old 07-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #107
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Freddie Gray case: Charges dropped against remaining officers

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/27/us/fre...ers/index.html
Amazing, the results you get when you investigate yourself.

Maryland prosecutor blasts police ’reluctance and obvious bias’ that hindered Freddie Gray investigation

I hope there's a federal case
Old 07-28-2016, 09:08 AM   #108
glatt

I'm not surprised.

I doubt they meant to kill him. Just teach him a lesson. Rough him up a little. His death was accidental. They were responsible for his welfare, and they wound up killing him. Since it was a group, each individual can say "not my fault" and there isn't enough evidence to convict any one of them individually.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:23 AM   #109
Big Sarge

So many on here are quick to judge based upon what they "think" happened. So many of the social justice warriors should watch the "Ox-Bow Incident".

Old 07-28-2016, 10:21 AM   #110
glatt

I often agree with the sentiment that you shouldn't attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence. The cops were either incompetent at keeping him safe, or they intended to rough him up a little to teach him a lesson. It's either malice or incompetence that caused him to die in their care.

In this case I think it's unlikely that the cops were incompetent. He was being a dick to them and they were pissed off at him. They didn't have a discussion about it or anything like that. It was just their attitude about him. "Scumbag resisted arrest, I'm gonna stomp on the gas a little as I pull away from the curb."
Old 07-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #111
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It's very hard for most people to take being hit without being allowed to hit back. My son went through a time of physically injuring me. Even with him being a kid, my own kid, a kid I knew really honestly didn't mean me any malice... there were a few times where the self-defense instinct rose up and some lizard-brain part of me wanted to hit back.

I still didn't, obviously, but it was surprising to learn how close under the surface that instinct was. Our officers have to be trained better, and applicants have to be screened better in the first place. "It's a hard job" doesn't begin to describe it, but it's not an excuse, either.

It's like teachers: if you paid the individuals more, instead of spending more money on tools (i.e. nationwide testing as a metaphor for tanks and SWAT armor,) then talented candidates would be more willing to attempt the job.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:48 AM   #112
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
... His death was accidental...
The coroner ruled it a homocide
Old 07-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #113
glatt

Sure, but they didn't mean to kill him. You don't think they meant to kill him, do you?
Old 07-30-2016, 07:35 AM   #114
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Sure, but they didn't mean to kill him. You don't think they meant to kill him, do you?
I don't. Bu it doesn't really matter what I think, the coroner determined it to be homicide - "the deliberate and unlawful killing of one person by another; murder".
Old 07-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #115
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

You seem to be experiencing tunnel vision when looking up definitions...

"Homicide occurs when one person causes the death of one other person. Homicides can be divided into many overlapping types, including murder, manslaughter, justifiable homicide, killing in war, euthanasia, and execution, depending on the circumstances of the death."

BIG TERM, EIGHT SYLABLES - involuntary manslaughter.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #116
Big Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
I don't. Bu it doesn't really matter what I think, the coroner determined it to be homicide - "the deliberate and unlawful killing of one person by another; murder".
Let us not forget that suicide is also homicide. There is also the theory Freddie Gray self inflicted his injuries
Old 07-30-2016, 02:39 PM   #117
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Let us not forget that suicide is also homicide. There is also the theory Freddie Gray self inflicted his injuries
That reminds me of policing in the UK during the 70s and 80a, when the police quite seriously, and with straight faces claimed that a man in their custody died whilst falling up the stairs.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #118
Big Sarge

So many quick to judge and say these officers are guilty. Yet, 3 have been found not guilty in a court of law and charges against the other 3 are dismissed. So many cry they must be guilty and I ask where is your proof? What evidence do you have to declare these men guilty and condemn law enforcement?
Old 08-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #119
Spexxvet

Quote:
Reminds me of the Firesign Theater (I think) parody of The Lone Ranger.
"he fell on his knife
six times
backwards"
Quote:
So many quick to judge and say these officers are guilty. Yet, 3 have been found not guilty in a court of law and charges against the other 3 are dismissed. So many cry they must be guilty and I ask where is your proof? What evidence do you have to declare these men guilty and condemn law enforcement?
And the prosecutor is crying foul, and it's difficult to convict a law enforcement agent.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #120
Spexxvet

Sarge, did you watch "Making a Murderer"?