The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 09-07-2018, 06:40 AM   #76
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
...oh, and Griff, can't get internet with any speed from anyone at any price.
My grandparents lived on a dirt road only 13 miles from the third largest city in MA. Yet they didn't get a phone until 1939, and electricity until 1949. The density didn't justify the investment until the utilities got pushed by the government.

Somebody is spending, I wonder if it's in the right place. Right place for profit I guess.
Yep. That's what I care about. Those damn hippys at the electric coop are fighting for the right to string cable, we may end up with better and cheaper than you urban dudes but we'll be retired by then. Y'all should see Pete when she tries to work from home, good thing she's pretty easy going.

Also f*ck Frontier.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #77
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's a goddamn crime in this day and age.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #78
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
One package I had contained 128 channels I was paying for, that were religion, or in a foreign language. But I had to buy them to get what I really wanted.
Then it gets even more interesting. Comcast fills that cable with stations duplicated. You play $50 per month for low resolution TV. Or pay extra to have access to other channels that carry the same TV show in HD.

One can get full High Definition via an OTA antennas. But one must pay extra for it from Comcast.

So channel 5 consumes 6 Mhz for the low resolution version. And another 5 Mhz for the same channel 5 TV show in high resolution.

They could have broadcast to everyone only in High Definition. Then that massive available bandwidth can be used to avoid internet congestion. But that would not increase profits. And get the information providers to pay for infrastructure upgrades.

Meanwhile customers must pay $100 per month for the same TV resolution that is standard in OTA broadcasts. Just another way to increase profits so that Comcast can buy more companies, build more skyscrapers, etc.

With destruction of net neutrality, it will only get worse (more expensive) faster.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #79
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

net neutrality update

Rules dropped five months ago

~ Nothing has happened yet ~

End of update, see you in the spring
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:20 PM   #80
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
So channel 5 consumes 6 Mhz for the low resolution version. And another 5 Mhz for the same channel 5 TV show in high resolution.
I am now informed that each channel is broadcast on three channels on cable. One in analog. One in digital. And third in high definition. For each upgrade they charge more.

Meanwhile broadcast TV broadcasts everything only in HD - and for free.

If Comcast cannot provide full bandwidth to all customers, then they are wasting bandwidth to increase profits. Instead they want to restrict bandwidth and even charge the Content Providers (ie YouTube, Netflix, Hulu) a surcharge.

All done because they have no competition - having bought the politicians they need.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #81
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
I am now informed that each channel is broadcast on three channels on cable. One in analog. One in digital. And third in high definition. For each upgrade they charge more.

Meanwhile broadcast TV broadcasts everything only in HD - and for free
Wow, you really are on top of things aren't you?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:54 PM   #82
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Got an email tonight.
Quote:
It’s Fios® Customer Appreciation Month. And to thank you for your loyalty, your internet has been upgraded to ultrafast Fios 100/100M—at no additional cost. With this upgrade, you can now stream and upload faster than before, and connect more devices at the same time.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:35 PM   #83
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Wow, you really are on top of things aren't you?
Always amazing how simple technical facts impress wacko extremists.

It is the difference between moderates who are educated verse Rush Limbaugh and Fox New disciples who are so easily brainwashed.

Unfortunately too many adults are still children - easily brainwashed by talk show hosts. So Trump is the president. And a economic recession has started.

He does not badmouth the Don - an anti-American Hitler and Putin lover. So moderates must attack that low intelligence. The Don says we must be this way. It must continue until even wacko extremists (all similar to Henry Quirk) finally admit to their mistake.

Shocking are how the non-Americans hear remain silent - do not constantly post what the rest of the free world sees. The President of France says Europe needs a European army to protect itself from America. Once, that was ridiculous. Not today. View Gravdigr posts to appreciate the new threat - an adult who is thinking like a child.

Sorry. This is not nasty enough because you are a wacko extremist Donald Trump (anti-American) supporter. As demonstrated by tacit support for KKK, Nazis, and White Supremacists. Extermist hate and the love of The Don earns you this honesty.

Last edited by tw; 11-20-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #84
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Look ya insane son-of-bitch, I ain't affiliated in any goddamned way with, nor do I support in any way ANY fucking racist organization.

You motherfucking piece of shit. Fuck you and fuck your goddamned mama for birthing your insane ass.

There's your emotional childish response, ya cock-sucking son-of-a-bitch.

Now, change the subject again ya fucking insane motherfucker.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #85
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Extermist hate and the love of The Don earns you this honesty.
You wouldn't know 'honesty' if honesty butt-fucked you while wearing a shirt that says "You're being butt-fucked by Honesty".

And learn to spell, ya dumbass.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #86
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"It must continue until even wacko extremists (all similar to Henry Quirk) finally admit to their mistake."

Which mistake is that?

Entertaining 'you'?

And, please, define 'wacko extremist'. You been tossin' that out for ages without any real explanation.

Finally: it's gratifyin' to be in your head so much that you use me as 'example'. You love me and want to give me babies. Wish I could oblige (cuz this old world needs more of 'me' in it) but you just ain't my cuppa tea.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #87
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
You wouldn't know 'honesty' if honesty butt-fucked
An honest man could defend himself with simple factual statements. A wacko extremists (ie Nazi, White Supremacist, or KKK) must resort to threats and profanity. An example of an adults who thinks like a child.

Complete with a tantrum. What an example.

And now you want to be an English Nazi to boot?
Old 11-24-2018, 07:17 PM   #88
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
And, please, define 'wacko extremist'.
An example:
Quote:
Of course [Trumps] a lyin' motherfucker,
I didn't hire him to be honest, I hired him to wreck shit.
Little different from bin Laden, Nazis, White Supremacists, KKK, and Timothy McVeigh.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:07 PM   #89
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

tw

Let's try sumthin' new.

You and me, in this place, represent archetypes.

You: the best of the communitarian impulse.

Me: the worst of the libertarian impulse.

You're maximized security, common weal, and stability.

I'm maximized autonomy, self-direction, and agency.

It's no wonder we hate each other's guts.

We have no common ground.

In a real sense, we're aliens to one another.

You see me as unprincipled anarchic force.

I see you as smothering death caul.

This isn't gonna change.

So: I propose the following...

As we can, we leave each other be; where we can't, we attempt civility and discussion.

Nuthin' good comes from our current approaches to one another, and mebbe nuthin' good will come from what I suggest, but it's worth a shot, yeah?
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:59 AM   #90
tw

Quote:
Let's try sumthin' new.
You stop posting. And I will stop reading insults.

You cannot even separate basic concepts from the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
'gender neutral' is how this is being reported - but it's an over simplification
He was responding to someone contending that God is a woman:
Quote:
autism strikes again

Last edited by tw; 11-25-2018 at 07:06 AM.