The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 10-21-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Did Paul Hamm win??

I'm wondering if any Cellarites have an opinion on the verdict stating Paul Hamm did win Olympic Gold? Anyone?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Lemme think ... he had the highest score when he performed, and on further review.

Reminds me of Florida.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 02:19 PM   #3
russotto
Professor

If you're going to second-guess the opinions of the judges at the time, then you've got to have a system for review. You don't just let them all stand until a whiney athlete from the cheatingest country since the fall of the USSR (remember when the ROK hosted it?) makes a fuss. The exception would be in cases of actual cheating, but the new judging procedures make that impossible to detect anyway.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 04:32 PM   #4
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

You know what? This is a case of "shit or get off the pot". The judges were wrong, in that they miscalculated the Korean's starting score. But it's the KOREAN COACHES fault for not saying something before the end of the round.

It's in the RULES, it's well known, it's not a new rule, if the athlete can't be bothered to check his own stats, or if he has coaches that aren't on the ball, well, I'm sorry, but here's your lesson on checking your score before it's too late. Paul Hamm did very well, and I wouldn't give the medal back EITHER.

I would say the EXACT same thing if Paul Hamm lost to the Korean because the American coaches didn't follow the rules and report the discrepancy before the end of the round. I don't understand the problem.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 10:14 PM   #5
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I wonder if it was more an issue of payback for the South Koreans...they were pretty pissed when Kim Dong-sung was disqualified for blocking Apolo Anton Ohno at the Salt Lake Olympics.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 10-22-2004 at 10:16 PM.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 01:59 AM   #6
ak4004
Person Who Has Posted

Olympic committee and the judges are to be blame on all aspects. Did you see the way judges chaged the scoring after the Greeks fans booing, it's all bunch of crap. However Paul Hamm would have been lot worthy if he didn't talk on TV regarding the matter. Especially with the voice of his.
ak4004 is offline   Reply With Quote