The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-23-2019, 11:50 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

August 24th, 2019: Alcohol

Alcohol is a gift from God, it disinfects wounds, will fuel an internal combustion engine, keep your windshield washers from freezing.
I’ve even heard some ne’er do wells actually consume it.
Old expensive alcohol gives the rich people, always desperate to impress and short on things to spend their excess wealth on,
a grand opportunity. Since many of the newly ultra rich are in Asia the Japanese Whisky market has been soaring.

Quote:
Ichiro Akuto, whose grandfather founded Japan’s Hanyu whisky distillery in 1941, decided to honor the company before it permanently emptied its barrels. After Hanyu ceased production and Akuto acquired the company’s equipment, he embarked on a years-long project of matching scores of different leftover whiskies with dozens of card-themed bottles.
This set of 54 bottles with labels representing a deck of cards, one of four sets left, sold for over $917,000 USD.

These buyers may be foolish but not stupid, they wouldn't pay that for rotgut whiskey in trick bottles. No, this is good shit, like this...

Quote:
The Six of Spades variety matured first in a hogshead cask, second in an Oloroso sherry butt. Distilled in 2000 and bottled in 2011, its alcohol by volume level is 56.8 percent.

The Queen of Hearts variety matured first in a hogshead cask, second in a French Oak cognac wood barrel. Distilled in 1990 and bottled in 2006, its alcohol by volume level is 54 percent.

The Eight of Clubs variety matured first in a hogshead cask, second in an American Oak puncheon cask. Distilled in 1988 and bottled in 2011, its alcohol by volume level is 57.5 percent.

The Ace of Diamonds variety matured first in a hogshead cask, second in a cream sherry butt. Distilled in 1986 and bottled in 2008, its alcohol by volume level is 56.4 percent.

A lone Yamakazi broke the price record for a single bottle of Japanese whisky, selling for $343,000 USD.
The same thing is happening in the west, $558,000 USD for one bottle of wine.
What the hell will they celebrate with those bottles, the wife saying yes to anal?

But the world champion is one bottle of 1926 Macallan Scotch, with a label by Italian artist Valerio Adami, that went for $1,101,000 USD.
Pour that in your windshield washers.

link
Old 08-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Am I mistaken or are rich folks are getting a little desperate looking for a safe place to store dollars? Fortunately, I don't have such problems.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:25 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I don't think there is a safe place to store money, if it's not making money it's slip sliding away. I was looking at an inflation calculator and plunked in the $5125 I paid for a car in 1969 and it said that would be close to $37,000 today. So if I'd had stashed that cash in my garter belt I'd have lost $32,000 in buying power.

Imagine spending a million bucks for a bottle of booze and finding the butler and upstairs maid drank it and broke the bottle.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Who wears a monocle?!

I mean, besides that guy.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I mean, I know that groundhogs wear monocles and tophats when people aren't around, but apart from that...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #6
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Bruce, didn't you learn in school that you just put your money in the bank and let it "work for you".
Why, your $100,000 will earn enough to buy about 6 gallons of gas a year. Quityerbitchin'.

Us hoi polloi earn about .2% on our dough, the 1% more like 20%.
Darned if the Japanese don't make some good "Scotch" though.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:27 PM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Groundhogs and anybody else being shady.

It's Dr. Evil, I didn't spend six years in Evil Medical School to be called "mister," thank you very much.