The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 08-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

Somehow I injured my knee

I guess at 63 I should just see it as a sign of aging but I managed to injure my right knee, I somehow over stressed the big hamstring tendons behind the knee joint.

I had arthroscopic surgery last October on my left knee for a torn meniscus that I got while attempting to tag my granddaughter out at an imaginary 3rd base as we played some softball in our back yard. I think that I probably favor the left knee now, still have a bit of pain and discomfort from the surgery and some arthritis there.

So last week on Tuesday I walked for an hour at the mall which I do a few times a week. It's open early for walkers and is quiet and air conditioned. The walk was not out of my ordinary routine but I did notice the upper thigh felt stiff later on if I crossed my right over my left at my desk. Then on Wednesday I mowed my lawn like I do every week, self propelled mower so I just walk behind it.

Leg got worse so on Thursday I called my orthopedic Dr. He couldn't fit me in for 10 days so I found another nearby who could see me this past Tuesday. I was on crutches most of the weekend. Can't put any tension on the tendons or it really hurts, standing straight or walking with a straight leg is ok. He saw me and said nothing was broken which I knew and gave me orders for an MRI.

MRI's are popular but I was able to get one the next morning, Wednesday and I see the Dr. today at 4 pm. He wanted to see the MRI before proceeding and maybe doing a cortisone shot to relieve the inflammation. Hope we can get this leg fixed, my wife and I leave for Singapore in 2 1/2 weeks and I know we will need to do some walking there for sight seeing.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
Flint
Snowflake

MRI is the gold standard for soft-tissue damage, radiologist/ortho ought to be able to determine exactly what's going on. Knees are looked at so much there's no mystery left.

If it's not ripped to shreds, a steroid shot ought to get you pain-free long enough to do some light walking, but please take it easy and give it plenty of rest, even if it "feels" okay.

Hope you get good news on it.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:06 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

the first Steroid shot lasted me about 5 weeks, the second less than 4. That's all they would do.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I've been expecting either, or both, of my knees to explode for the last ten years.

I am not heartened by this thread...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
chrisinhouston
Professor

Well I saw the Dr whom I really like and gets very good marks form some of my neighbors who have seen him.

The MRI showed I have "severe degeneration and small free edge tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus". Most likely the meniscus has just worn out and torn in a thin spot. The medial meniscus take about 70% of the shock and motion when you walk or run. The Dr compared it to a car that is running fine and then one day won't start or has a flat.

He have me a cortisone shot just under the edge of the knee cap and warned me it may swell a bit and to use ice to reduce swelling and pain. Holy crap, I woke up at 2 am and it really hurt and it was hard to get back to sleep. I took some Tylenol 3 and it feels a bit better now but all I did was get dressed and go sit at my computer. I've had the shots in my left knee and they never hurt like that but I think this was a bigger injection.

The good thing is the back of the knee that did hurt doesn't seem to as much so hopefully it will improve over the next few days. He wants me to do PT and come see him after 4 weeks of that. I go to Singapore in 18 days so will take a break from the PT but hopefully the PT will help strengthen muscles and teach me what to do to not cause further damage but I will probably need repair surgery as this is degenerative.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:14 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My joints have always been for shit, but especially my knees, and I've been assuming for a long time that they'll be the first to go.

Instead, it's looking like it will be some combination of my fingers amd wrists. I haven't been able to put any significant weight on my left wrist in at least a year, and recently my right index finger has been in excruciating pain with even the tiniest lateral movement. It's fine unless I try to pick up a grocery bag, or pull open a drawer knob, or twist open a water bottle... Did you know they make little wrappable finger braces that will secure a finger to the one beside it at any knuckle? Anyway, now my second finger hurts.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Do the Vulcan salutation in lieu of the Peace sign.

I hope this helps.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Fortunately, I can still flip the bird at folks just fine.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:39 PM   #9
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Glad you still get some pleasure out of that finger.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:07 PM   #10
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Im so sorry buddy...... I hope it feels better soon
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:59 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
My joints have always been for shit, but especially my knees, and I've been assuming for a long time that they'll be the first to go.

Instead, it's looking like it will be some combination of my fingers amd wrists. I haven't been able to put any significant weight on my left wrist in at least a year, and recently my right index finger has been in excruciating pain with even the tiniest lateral movement. It's fine unless I try to pick up a grocery bag, or pull open a drawer knob, or twist open a water bottle... Did you know they make little wrappable finger braces that will secure a finger to the one beside it at any knuckle? Anyway, now my second finger hurts.
grim
Old 08-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #12
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

my fucken knee hurts too.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:41 PM   #13
monster
I hear them call the tide

mine three
Old 08-27-2019, 08:10 AM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Mine still

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:02 AM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I got one of those night leg cramps the other night, where your calf muscle locks up. My leg is still sore a few days later
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote