The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 06-15-2006, 03:42 PM   #31
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Well, I know nothing about that particular drug, but I have a little experience of Seroxat and prozac. I can say in my limited experience that all of these drugs carry their price and it tends to be exacted when it's withdrawn.

Stick around in the cellar if you can. We might not be physically present but we're with you in spirit. *hugs* you'll get through. You'll be stronger and better very soon.

Maybe talk to Wolf. She's our resident expert in all things psychi and whilst we often clash on politics I'd say she seems to know her stuff and has a whole boatload of empathy in such matters.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #32
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Wow.
I've been coming here for just a short time, and I can't get enough of the wit, and insight, and support, and intelligence...I could go on. I hadn't seen this thread until today.
I am taking Effexor and Welbutrin. Effexor was doing well for a while, but then I started having really bad depressive episodes again. If it had gone on, I was afraid my job would be in jeopardy, because at the same time it was very stressful and I couldn't keep a handle on my emotions.. Though my friends try to understand so many don't get it; I felt like a leper, though they did not view me as such.
I have been on Prozac, Zoloft, and Paxil. Effexor had worked best for me, until recently. My doc gave me the option to up my Effexor scrip or add another, like a person not responding to blood pressure meds. I opted for adding Welbutrin. I'm doing pretty well.
The withdrawal effects of Effexor are just horrible. It has a half-life of less than a day, and I hadn't had it filled for a couple days and I was SO sick. I felt like I might die.
But I don't worry about having to wean myself off it. As my doc says, I'm "chronic" and will probably need antidepressants for the rest of my life. It's just who I am, and I don't feel ashamed of it. It's an illness like any other illness.
Of course, I have an ex-friend (whose favorite hobby is to get drunk with her husband and fight in public) who had the nerve to tell me she used to be on meds but she just made up her mind she didn't need them. Her husband says "it's just mind over matter." They, however, are uneducated, barely tolerable humans taking up space, so I just consider the source.
Thanks for a place to chat about this. It's nice to vent that now and then.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:22 PM   #33
goldencomfort1968
Aggregate Aggravator

I have now been off Effexor for a little over a month. It's been kind of rough, but I don't want to go back on the medication. I'm now dealing with anxiety attacks in the mornings again....like I had before taking Effexor....which has brought back my irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms of upset stomach and frequent, urgent trips to the restroom (if you know what I mean). So mornings are pretty frustrating for me especially working a full time job from 8:00am-4. I'm doing some reading on alternative remedies such as exercise and breathing techniques. My mother and I joined Curves (a women's workout center) last year and I did real good. Then when I started going off the medication, I didn't feel like going. Now, I'm making myself go on a daily basis and I'm feeling a bit better. Exercise helps release a chemical called seretonin...which is lacking in people with depression/anxiety. So, it's been a long hard road, but I'm hanging in there. Thanks for all your support!
goldencomfort1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:31 PM   #34
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
I'm now dealing with anxiety attacks in the mornings again....like I had before taking Effexor....which has brought back my irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms of upset stomach and frequent, urgent trips to the restroom (if you know what I mean).
Sounds like an awful lot of suffering not to persist in finding a med that works for you.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:42 PM   #35
goldencomfort1968
Aggregate Aggravator

It is a lot of suffering to go through rather than finding a med that will work for me, but I feel I will be better off once I get over all this withdrawal, etc., and can control it naturally through exercise, breathing techniques, etc. rather than depend on the medication. If all else fails, I will go back on some sort of med. I see my doc next month for a physical and will discuss it with him. I just feel that if I can control this naturally, I would rather do that than be on a medication.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:39 PM   #36
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Would you say that if you were diabetic? Just asking.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:35 AM   #37
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
Lexapro update: Week 3 @10mg.
I've been taking Lexapro for three or four years, now. My wife says we'll go without food and shelter before she'd let my prescription lapse. FWIW, I take 20 mg once per day.

My problem was anger control. I got down and didn't realize it, and then was being pretty disagreeable as a result. Very, very negative. I can honestly say that Lexapro has made just about as positive a difference in my life as stopping daily boozing did.

I have spoken with several others who have this same experience, including greater energy, better rest, improved clarity of thought, etc. Good shit, Lexapro.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:57 PM   #38
goldencomfort1968
Aggregate Aggravator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Would you say that if you were diabetic? Just asking.

No, I would not. Because, with diabetes it's a life or death situation. My mother is diabetic. I know how that is. I'm just saying that I'm going to give the "natural way" a TRY. If it works, great! If not, I'll try something else. If at all possible, I just believe natural will be better for ME. I can't speak for anyone else. What ever works for an individual is what's best.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:19 PM   #39
Beautiful_Stranger
(Barbara..smiles)

So good to hear all of this!

Hi....this is an old thread, is anyone here?

This was SUCH a good read for me today! I went off Lexapro (10 mg/daily) cold-turkey 2 weeks ago. I ran out...it seemed like it had stopped working anyway, I've gained an obscene amount of weight (which made me HATE myself) and just didn't want to take them anymore! So, right or wrong, I did it; perhaps it gave me a little feeling of control. NOW...I feel pretty good, I'm losing weight....but cannot sleep well and OH, so those are brain zaps, eh? Whoaaa, I've felt like Frances Farmer (okay, that's mean) and/or like I'm becoming senile!!!

As I said, it's been 2 weeks...am I in any danger? Any ideas as to how long this will continue, and/or if there's anything I can do to help this "detoxing" along?

Thank you all so very much....hoping to hear a response.
B.
Beautiful_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #40
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Hi, B. Welcome.

You need to let a doctor take you off meds.--when and if and how should all be up to him/her, with your input, of course.

Go see your doc. ASAP.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #41
Beautiful_Stranger
(Barbara..smiles)

Hi, and thank you!

But please, tell me why? I'm not a threat to myself or anyone....I've now been off for 2 weeks. Are there actual health reasons, or is this simply your personal opinion?

B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Hi, B. Welcome.

You need to let a doctor take you off meds.--when and if and how should all be up to him/her, with your input, of course.

Go see your doc. ASAP.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #42
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

It actually is my personal opinion, but it happens to be backed up by every medical study out there. You're not the doctor--you're the patient.
After two weeks off you might be done detoxing, but, maybe not. And, how do you know you won't have a relapse? Patients don't treat themselves--doctor's treat them. Let your doctor know.

I like the diabetes analogy. If you were diabetic and felt great, would you just take yourself off insulin without consulting your doc? No way. Same kinda thing here.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 07-09-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:51 PM   #43
Beautiful_Stranger
(Barbara..smiles)

Hi hon;

Again, thank you for your 2 cents! I do appreciate your posting.

As I said, it really had ceased working anyway...and I will certainly know if my depression symptoms return (for me it was circumstantial depression for which I myself sought help rather then mental or emotional illness, referring to your concern of "relapse"). Sigh....I'll think about calling him, lol. I SO hated being tethered to meds, especially without the benefit of feeling better, you know?

Barbara
Old 07-10-2006, 12:43 AM   #44
farfromhome
Management Consultant

Hi Barbara. Welcome to the cellar. I lived in western NY most of my life. That's where my home is and where I consider home. I know Buffalo ( the largest suburb of Amherst, NY) extremely well.
I know that you are correct ( Brianna) in your reasoning. Still I enjoy people like Barbara who question conventional wisdom. If she feels good and can recognize it then let her go. Sadly, consulting a doctor can be a financial decision many of us are increasingly skipping.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #45
Beautiful_Stranger
(Barbara..smiles)

Hi, Farfromhome;

I went to Amherst schools for 2 years - marvelous area, so different (much more $$) then ours in Kenmore!

Funny you mention the financial thing; actually, my doctor has given me samples since the beginning (that nasty singlemom/deadbeatdad/livinghandtomouth thing)...in spite of my appreciation, I really hated calling for more when I ran out. The real financial problems came when he tried to get me on something else; recognizing that the Lexapro was no longer working out, he sold me on another med (can't remember it now) - how it should be perfect for me. Then we found that my insurance wouldn't pay for that Rx; he didn't receive enough samples of it, I certainly couldn't afford it...I felt as if staying on the Lexapro was a sad consolation price....not the right reason to take such a chemical, in my mind.

(Brianna, I just now phoned my doctor to inquire about my safety in going off cold turkey... I'm a good girl!)

Still....I do want to know the answers to my initial Q's, if anyone can....I'm fascinated by these 'brain jolts'!

Have a great day, all! (bzzzzzp!)
Barbara