The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 05-01-2018, 10:14 PM   #181
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
Actually, there are parks that gathering wood is prohibited. You can bring it in, but you can't take it back out. Some places require that you by it on-site. But, it varies with the park. I check before I go. I'm ok with buying wood at the park to avoid the hassle. It's an easy way to support the park, the way I look at it.
no Emerald Ash Borer where you are then, I guess
Old 05-02-2018, 12:59 AM   #182
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Like I said, all parks have their own rules and they change, so you have to check with the park you're in... better yet before you're in.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:32 AM   #183
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You're miles ahead because to have the right attitude. You Go Girl!!
Old 05-02-2018, 12:27 PM   #184
glatt

An example of bizarre fire rules is that Virginia has a statewide fire ban during daylight hours in spring. So you can go camping and have it be kind of cold, and collect some downed branches off the ground and have a nice fire at night. But if it's cold in the morning and you have a big pile of leftover wood, you can't start a fire to warm up a bit the next morning.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #185
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Army tents come in "shelter halves" which two man teams put two together to make the tent.
During a training exercise a looong time ago my tent partner put it up while I was doing some other task and covered the bottom (inside) with nice soft vegetation.
The next morning I discovered it was poison ivy, to which he seemed to be immune and I never have been. Gahh!
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #186
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Unless you have a way to magically make wood appear if we aren't allowed to gather wood. And we aren't allowed to bring in outside wood, then that's the way it goes. I'm not special enough to think the rules don't apply to me. If $20 is going to break me, I shouldn't be buying any of this stuff.
I will not piss you off again.

I promise.

I'm sorry to have commented in a way that made you angry or upset. I did not intend this result. I don't know how I offended you with what I said, but I obviously did.

Won't happen again.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #187
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I will not piss you off again.

I promise.

I'm sorry to have commented in a way that made you angry or upset. I did not intend this result. I don't know how I offended you with what I said, but I obviously did.

Won't happen again.
You haven't offended or pissed me off. You're comment seemed a little snarky, though, so I responded in kind Maybe you didn't mean to be and I took it wrong. That would be my bad
Old 05-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #188
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

get a room you two...

I wanna watch.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:45 PM   #189
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim
The next morning I discovered it was poison ivy, to which he seemed to be immune and I never have been. Gahh!
Mr. Clod is severely allergic to poison ivy--just a little touch on his hands, and it "goes systemic," which means his entire body breaks out and the inflammation takes 2-3 months to heal. I can't even imagine what would happen if he slept on a pile of it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:41 AM   #190
Griff
still says videotape

Part of the invasive insect issue is hauled firewood so it is a good idea to follow the local rules.

I missed a whole page of responses. Sorry for being re-dumb-dant.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #191
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

The poison ivy incident was at Benning School for Boys in Georgia, where I think they have ivy as opposed to our nearly identical poison oak in the west.

I had a girlfriend who shared Mr. Clod's severe allergy to the nasty plant.
I still feel extremely chagrinned and remorseful almost fifty years later for telling her on a December hike through a leafless forest: "You can't catch it this time of year."
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #192
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I had a reaction on my first Boy Scout campout; I woke up completely covered in rash.

No idea why; I grew up frequently exposed to Poison Ivy, and had occasional rashes just at the exposure area; it probably was some other allergen.

It wasn't super-uncomfortable, actually, but it looked terrible, and scared the Scoutmaster.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #193
bbro

I got poison ivy second hand when I was young. The stupid people I lived with brought a basketball that had bounced into the evil weed into the family room. There it sat until I came in from playing, turned on the tv, and played with the ball on the floor. I broke out all over my fingers - I only touched it using the tips. In between the fingers was the worst. Painful as all get out. I had Miss Piggy and Kermit band aids.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:48 AM   #194
glatt

I never had a problem with poison ivy until I did.

That's when I decided to teach myself what it looks like. Now I can spot it from a distance. In the daytime, anyway.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:47 AM   #195
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Quote:
@Pamela/monster - I was thinking about a cot if the pad didn't work out. It is SO comfy though and will be better for the hike in sites.

@captainhook - the hatchet is for fallen wood, not chopping down trees. That is definitely not allowed in the parks. And sorry, not putting leaves and stuff inside my tent. I'm trying not to get bit by bugs. Thanks for the tip about the salt. I may bring a bigger container of salt.
The leaves don't go on the tent floor, but under the tent. A hatchet is good for pounding tent pegs in the ground or cutting off your fingers. Better to have a 7" filet knife hanging off your belt. You will use it more.

Just take a section of fallen wood in your hands like a baseball bat and wrap it on the nearest tree. Dry wood will break up. Green wood will remind you what it feels like to hit a 100 mph speed ball.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote