The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 07-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #286
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Have you considered the possibility it will only rain if you go?
Old 07-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #287
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Have you considered the possibility it will only rain if you go?
Yes. Yes I have
Old 07-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #288
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You could stand at the entrance to the campground and promise to leave if they pay you. You know, make lemonade.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #289
bbro

Quote:
You could stand at the entrance to the campground and promise to leave if they pay you. You know, make lemonade.
Considering that the Park Rangers are another branch of law enforcement here in NC, I don't want to go to jail. Plus, that wouldn't really help with the rain
Old 07-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #290
bbro

I went, it rained, I survived.

I got everything packed and went on my way Saturday midday. Unfortunately, my brain does everything in it's power to forget that Stone Mountain exists (even typed it wrong right there), so I headed to South Mountain instead. I realized my error and turned around. I got there around 4pm. It could've been 2:30 if I had entered the right destination.

I had plenty of time to set up camp. I had my hammock with rainfly, tent, and a shelter that I put a chair under (pics to come later). It seemed to work initially, but then I was sitting in the chair and my head was touching the tarp. Something happened, but I don't know what. I ended up putting a trekking pole under to hold it up. It worked well enough. I also checked out the site I had reserved previously (I changed it when I was paying more attention). It would have SUUUCKED. Almost no trees, so shelter would've been minimal. Stuck in hammock or tent kind of camping.

Unfortunately, I couldn't stake my tent. There were rocks everywhere in the tent pad area. I don't know who thought that was a good idea, but I bent a fucking stake trying to get it in. I finally gave up, threw my shit in and crossed my fingers. It stayed put, so that was good.

I was able to cook Saturday evening. Just as I was finishing, the rain came in. I was able to hang out in my chair and in my hammock. The only problem was I always underestimate how cold it is going to be. The hammock is REALLY cold. the good news is that I really didn't get too wet. I was prepared this time (unlike when I was at hanging rock and bailed the second night).

The next day, I did a small hike to the summit of Stone Mountain. I was warned by a friend that the rocks can get very slippery in the rain. He said not to try to hike in the rain. Since I had NO service, I had no idea what the weather was going to be. I risked it and headed out around 10am. I could see why it would be bad to get caught there in the rain.

At the summit, some idiot broke a tree branch to hang a flag, basically ruining the view. I didn't stay there long because it pissed me off how many people saw it and said "Cool". I went to a lower outlook that I preferred. I did see a storm coming in, so I went back the way I came instead of completing the loop. Torrential downpour started as I pulled into my campsite.

I started getting a migraine, but forgot to bring my meds with me. I accepted having to just deal when I said WTF? I can run to the store. I fumbled around trying to find a signal so I could get maps to find a place for pills. I finally got it, grabbed some Excedrin PM and hustled it back to the site before the gates locked. It was much more pleasant after taking the pills, but I didn't feel like cooking what I had planned and it was still raining. I decided to just make some soup on the camp stove. It was tasty AND fun!

Monday was when I was leaving. My friend had texted me the forecast the day before and it was supposed to rain at noon. I left 8ish to go see a waterfall. It took about an hour. I came back and proceeded to clean up everything but the hammock. I didn't feel like racing the rain to grill, so I had a snack instead and McDonald's (SHAME) on the way home. Apparently the forecast changed and I could've cooked with no problem.

I got home and actually unloaded the car the same day. Except the cooler. I have to dump the water from that. I think it was because, for once, I didn't just shove everything in and run. I only ended up with 4 bug bites, too.

Something that would be great is something that I can use for the weather when I have no signal.

Next trip is in a month. It would be really nice to NOT have rain when camping. Pics to come later (today maybe?)
Old 07-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #291
glatt

Sounds... Good?

Better anyway. You stayed pretty dry, only 4 bug bites.

I'm going camping this weekend, if the rain lets up.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #292
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Sounds... Good?

Better anyway. You stayed pretty dry, only 4 bug bites.

I'm going camping this weekend, if the rain lets up.
It's funny - my mom kept asking if I was having fun, but I wouldn't call it "fun". Was it enjoyable? Mostly. I was relaxed. I was only annoyed at the migraine, but I was happy I didn't suffer through it like I planned. I was able to be smart and abandon camp to go get meds.

I'm calling it a win because not only did I not bail, but I wasn't miserable the whole time like the other trips. It was work to force myself out of the hammock to go hiking, though. MAN, I love that thing.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #293
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If you take canned condensed soup, the rain will add the water while it heats.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #294
bbro

Quote:
If you take canned condensed soup, the rain will add the water while it heats.
Dude, come out of the stone age, they have canned soup that needs no water added!!
Old 07-24-2018, 02:46 PM   #295
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, but they are heavier to carry and get watered down in the rain. Maybe dry soup then.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #296
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Someone here used have the signature line "Never eat soup in the rain. Unless you're fast, you may never finish."

Who was that? Lamplighter, maybe?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #297
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
I realized I had a camping trip this upcoming weekend. Excitement ensued. Then, I checked the weather. Mother fucking rain. Again. Still on the fence about going or not. The problem is that I took a day off work. It's not that easy to switch them around. Which means if I try to camp there again, it will just be over night.

Why does the universe not want me to camp?
Try renting a rustic cabin somewhere.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:26 PM   #298
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

bbro, if you were camping with the right partner, at the end of the weekend you wouldn't even know if it had rained.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #299
bbro

@captainhook455 - I have specific parks in mind to camp out. I think I mentioned that I am doing the NC State Park Passport challenge. I need to go to state parks to get the stamp. The ones further away, I am mostly camping at.

@xoxoxoBruce - Ew
Old 07-29-2018, 07:42 AM   #300
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
@captainhook455 - I have specific parks in mind to camp out. I think I mentioned that I am doing the NC State Park Passport challenge. I need to go to state parks to get the stamp. The ones further away, I am mostly camping at.

@xoxoxoBruce - Ew
Please call me Cap. You probably won't like NC parks. There are no hookups at any site. The vegetation in the campground looks like a Jungle Jim movie. At dusk the no see ums come out to eat you. SC parks are a world away from NC facilities. We like to go to Bucks Creek just north of Charleston.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote