The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-11-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Armistice Day

Well the end of the war that set up the bigger war is celebrated today. Germany is now the powerhouse of a united Europe. It makes a guy wonder if we couldn't have cut out the middleman.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

The middlemen to have cut out would no doubt have been Kaiser Wilhelm and Der Fuehrer. Two guys (with legions and lackeys) who were truly about as far from libertarians as is humanly possible.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:03 AM   #3
lookout123
changed his status to single

UG - i've been gone for awhile but you haven't changed your tune. your idea of libertanianism - ismism is just as deeply in the realm of asshatery as radar's. accept it. relish it. embrace it.

there are a few cellarites that are genuine libertarians (small L) that don't beat their chests about their authenticity. the chest beaters seem to be overcomepensating. for what i'll never know.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:45 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Hitler was the middleman.

I'm beginning to wonder which, if any, American interventions you would sanction despite their unintended consequences, like say Hitler being the product of an unjust peace. Here's a truncated list feel free to add any you find important or revealing of your thought process.

Vietnam?

Korea?

WWI- you apparently support intervening for the nominally more democratic anti-liberty colonial powers against the less democratic anti-liberty colonial powers.

Vera Cruz?

Panamanian Revolution?

Banana Wars?

Hawaii?

Phillipines/Moro War

Spanish-American?

Mexican War?
Old 11-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #5
Guyute
Gamehenge

I have always wondered if Hitler had not ignited Europe, and resulted in the USSR beating the Germans back to Berlin, would Eastern Europe have ended up being Soviet satellites for so long? Stalin was just as nutso as Hitler, and had millions more people to control...
Old 11-13-2005, 12:32 AM   #6
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
there are a few cellarites that are genuine libertarians (small L) that don't beat their chests about their authenticity. the chest beaters seem to be overcomepensating. for what i'll never know.
"Overcomepensating?" Freudian slip? Anyway, it's a case of how we can't believe the crap the other guy's giving us, and figure it's something that needs to be defeated. You don't win elections by making your party membership smaller, and if you want libertarianism of any stripe to happen, you're going to need the votes, aren't you? That means we should devote our efforts towards having a very large chunk of the electorate voting Libertarian and paying party dues. I want a political party more than I want a small club of likeminded gentlemen, none of whom actually or visibly want to be in office.

Guyute, yep, and he killed millions more too, all on account of being interested in total power and unlimited government. The butcher's bill for his tenure was at least twenty million, wasted by collectivist totalitarianism.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 11-13-2005 at 12:38 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote