The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 11-07-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

And for my next large home appliance purchase...

I plan to purchase a new fridge-freezer tomorrow. Whirlpool side by side is the plan. I hate those ones with big freezer drawers below. Just deciding between counter depth and regular depth. Rates reasonably highly in the consumer rankings i am able to see, most customer reviews are good, price is good (Black Friday pricing started yesterday) been happy with Whirlpool in the past (current one is 15+ years old, still running fine, but drawers are all falling apart and new one will be more efficient. Comments/dire warnings/encouragement? go....
Old 11-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #2
glatt

We got a new AC and the efficiency improvements these days are outstanding.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

From Quora...

Quote:
We were told by a highly recommended repairman that the refrigerators requiring repairs and repeat repairs are bottom freezer units and French door units. The most reliable is top freezer, bottom refrigerator. Side by side are next most reliable. He also said that Whirlpool was the most reliable brand. Whirlpool pulled their refrigerators out of Sears when Sears switched to LG to manufacture the Sears Kenmore brand. Sears is having problems now. We just replaced a Sears Kenmore made by LG that lasted only 3 years and six months. (All three of our earlier refrigerators lasted 14 to 26 years and the Amana is still going!) The compressor died on the Sears Kenmore by LG and it would cost more than half of a new refrigerator to replace it. LG compressors are not well made apparently and undersized for the Kenmore brand. We replaced with a GE side by side. Also, ice makers and water dispensers, as convenient as they may be, are repair prone. Apparently the appliance industry cannot handle redesigns and new designs very well. The same issues with new units also existed when manufacturers tried to change to front loader washers. Many consumers have rejected them as too expensive and unreliable, insisting on conventional top loading washers instead.

There are websites that list refrigerator reliability. Whirlpool is figured on top on many of them. Be careful, however. Certain manufacturers are putting up phony rating websites that list their products as one of the top three. When you see frequent declarations of great products, be suspicious. Even Apple cannot claim its cell phones are without problems. Its a “buyer beware” refrigerator industry.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
monster

hurrah thanks, I did the deed. It's arriving tomorrow. Now I have to spend the evening bulldozing a path through my hoarder house so they can get it in.....

Apparently they'll call tonight to let me know my 5 hour delivery window! I have things to do :/ The store is so close, they could lob it on a trebuchet and yet they need a 5 hour window? I hope it's not during parkrun time -I did my first 5 weeks ago and haven't missed one since......
Old 11-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
monster

yay best possible timeslot -post parkrun....plus some time to bulldoze/clean more, pre beer (kinda ). Already made clear passageway through hall, evicted trashcans from garage so old one can go in there until electric company gives me $50 to haul away (). Moved as much frozen stuff as possible to chest freezer, rest is in the two pull-out drawers. Removed all fridge magnets. I should do more, but it's Friday and it was a really rough week.... maybe I'll get back to it

I hope I made a good decision :/ This is the shit that's really tough without Beestie-boi. And is the third major thing I've replaced since. But I guess we had other crap to worry about for a few years so it's probably good I'm not shirking now and waiting until critical appliance failure

Don't mind me -I'm a lonely rambling old cat lady now........
Old 11-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #6
monster

...next on the list is dumping the chest freezer...... (which DTE will also give me $50 to haul away )
Old 11-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

When I replaced my fridge I sold the old one to the electric company. I wrapped up the cord, duct taped the door shut and moved it to the front porch. When they came to pick it up they said nope, has to be running because if it doesn't work they won't buy it. Lucky I had an outlet on the porch to plug it in and convince the guy it worked.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:21 AM   #8
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Don't mind me -I'm a lonely rambling old cat lady now........but I'm going to be a Thoroughly Modern Millie someday.
FIFY
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Don't mind me -I'm a lonely rambling old cat lady now........
Ain't nuttin' wrong with old cats...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote