The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

View Poll Results: What is Love?
Love is a verb, manifest in actions. 18 37.50%
Love is a noun, a tangible or intangible thing. 8 16.67%
Love is service, to another. 11 22.92%
Love is a feeling, wheeee! 16 33.33%
Love is an illusion, booo! 4 8.33%
Love is brain chemistry, or other chemistry. 14 29.17%
Love isn't anything, or anything on this list. (Write in.) 6 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2007, 06:03 AM   #16
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
I have to say it's at least all of the things listed as options in the poll. For some it might be less, in some it's more. Love is one of those things best defined on an individual and case-by-case basis.

All of these loves are defined differently. They're felt and expressed differently. They are all bound by different rules.
I was about to try to say this, nicely put.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:41 AM   #17
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Love is caring about something or someone more than you care about yourself.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:12 AM   #18
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I chose nothing on this list.

Love is a choice. Sometimes it is a painful choice, in either direction, but it is a choice.

(OK, that's what some psych told me years ago. I don't really know what love is. Romantic love, that is. I am sure what love means when it applies to my family.)
Old 01-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #19
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

What is love
Oh baby, don't hurt me
Don't hurt me no more
Oh, baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me no more

Other than a Night at the Roxbury, love is what I feel for my two sons. It is an unconditional mixture of feelings that manifested when they came into the world.

the really amazing thing about children (at least to me) is how they do come into this world with their own distinctive personalities already intact! It blows me away--my sons are sooooo different and i knew who they were the moment they got here!

Anyway--love is my two boys. I love them. They are the most incredible, wonderful human beings. They are mentally and physically gorgeous. I don't talk about my boys here in the cellar...I guess because I can't really articulate how much they mean to me, how much I love them.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:16 PM   #20
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I don't talk about my boys because they are the most vulnerable part of me. The most "real" part of me.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #21
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Love *is*
Old 01-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #22
funkykule
professional bowler

Prepeare yourself for extreme cheese- buy, hey, you did ask for a definition of love!

Love does have various levels, intensities etc, but I have to agree with Sundae here: my love for my family beats all.

When I'm away from them I miss them and think of how fantastic they are, and how amazing it is that despite all our faults and differences, we still fit perfectly with eachother.

When I'm with them: the mixed irritation and comfort of having someone know you so well; the safety of knowing you can behave towards them, in ways that others would not accept, and they will still forgive you; the happiness in the smallest thing shared with them; being able to speak frankly with them again in ways you couldn't with others (here I'm especially referring to my sisters), knowing their faults and accepting the way they are, which, if I saw in others would turn me off completely; defending them to the back teeth through everything but at the same time telling them where they went wrong; wanting the best for them without jealousy

These feeling and situations have happened with a few friends, but never to the same extent to those that relate to the family I have grown up with.
I don't know if I'll ever feel like that for a partner/husband. Do you think the love for your partner reaches those levels? I hope so.

As for my future children, I know how strongly I feel for my nieces and nephews, so I assume the love for my children will probably surpass anything I've described above. Brianna summed it up well.

//end of cheese

I feel grossly cheesy now- I need a shower...
funkykule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:55 AM   #23
NoBoxes

Love is a bond:

You can break all of the bonds some of the time,
You can break some of the bonds all of the time; but,
You can't break all of the bonds all of the time and still be human.

Psyching up for Valentines day a little early this year aren't you BigV?
Old 01-27-2007, 08:49 AM   #24
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

I have to agree that love is a bit of everything on the list. Or can be. Love is respect, esteem, dignity, tolerance, a bond, caring about someone's feelings (your own or other's), and wanting to be near those you love because being with them replenishes both of your emotional buckets. Love is a two-way street.

Stormie
Old 01-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #25
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather View Post
Love is a two-way street.
Which side of the road are you supposed to drive on?

Remember children: don't forget to look both ways before you cross.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:08 PM   #26
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Love is like a butterfly, as soft and gentle as a sigh.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:32 AM   #27
Nightsong
Wang Dude

I actually wrote this some time ago.

What is love?

Love is not fireworks and campfires.
It’s not that first rush every time you see the girl at the video store you’re too scared to talk to.
Love may have something to do with those long nights wrapped in short arms on the backseat but odds are that has a lot more to do with lust.

No for me, a bitter middle aged, realist love is actually something deeper. It’s being woken up at two am by the snoring and not caring. It’s watching your favorite movie with someone who always falls asleep during the second act, and not minding.
It is the request for a drink when you just came back from the kitchen and they could have asked while you were there, but you go back anyway to get them one.

When you are younger, its hot passionate nights on your parents couch praying like hell it won’t end and that your parents won’t wake up. When you’re my age it’s cuddling together on the couch holding hands quietly praying like hell the kids don’t wake up.
Is it because love is so different as we get older? No. Our needs change, but at the same time there is still the exact same needs that were there when we were young. We want acceptance. We want someone who understands us. Love isn’t spending every waking moment together trying to be in each others skin. That gets old and worn in time. Love for me is even when you’re sitting in different room and you hear the small noises they make as they go about their routine, you think how much you love them. It’s a voice on the phone in the middle of the afternoon asking what you’re doing when they know damned well. Its arguing over what’s for dinner and when you finally decide it’s not what either of you wanted.

Its being there, not because you feel obligated to do all those little things that drive you mad, but to be there to do all those little things that drive you mad because you want to do them for that person.

Love no longer is fumbling in the dark for the things that make the baby, its fumbling in the dark for your glasses to go get the baby before it wakes you partner. It’s knowing every single irritating thing your partner does but missing it when they don’t do it.

The future is never what it looks like no matter how old you are. The future is in constant flux and usually has other plans than you do. That is why it’s nice to have love. It makes the surprises a little nicer to deal with.
Nightsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #28
rkzenrage

Too many things to name, all at once.
I can love more ways than I can describe. How I love a stranger, my wife and my son... none can be explained.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #29
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Love is like popsicles
You get too much you get too high
Not enough and you're gonna die

Misheard lyrics
Old 02-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #30
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBoxes View Post
Love is a bond:
Sometimes love is a bond. A junk bond. Cheap as the paper it is written on. Love is a sales pitch to enter into a bond you may regret. Kinda like buying a car.Too stary eyed to read the fine print.

just kidding...

I said love was a verb. It is action,although when I love it is a mysterious bond. Like tiny gold thread attaching one to another.
Where that tiny gold thread is attached could be anywhere. To me it could be the head or the heart. I am not sure if lust can be a type of a love bond or not. ( No Mercy- Kiss you all over)
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote