The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #46
wolf
lobber of scimitars

(trapper keeper)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #47
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Has he looked at West Chester? West Chester is a fine school ... good eduction, many successful graduates.
They don't have a biotechnology program.

I think Indiana U of P has out-partied WC, though I partied at WC when it was legal to have a keg in your dorm room.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #48
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
They don't have a biotechnology program.

I think Indiana U of P has out-partied WC, though I partied at WC when it was legal to have a keg in your dorm room.
It was never legal to have a keg in your dorm room. State School, State Property. It's like being in a State Park. Okay, maybe back when it was the West Chester Normal School, but I doubt it. I don't see the matrons looking the other way on anything back in the 19th Century.

The college president even had to go to Harrisburg to plead in favor of The Rat (Ram's Head Rathskeller) getting a liquor license, since there's a rule about not having a bar within a certain distance of a college campus. His argument, that he'd rather have his of age students walk to a bar, rather than drive to one, was successful.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #49
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
It was never legal to have a keg in your dorm room. State School, State Property. ...
I guess the RAs just ingored it then. It was pretty common and out in the open in the late 70s.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #50
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
I have mixed feelings about pensive pam's return.

Do you think she had the ban expiration date in her dayplanner?
I suspect she just kept hitting F5 until she was logged in.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #51
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

We should hook her up with a nice OWS camp.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #52
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I just spent $5,500 on boiler repairs and heating system upgrades. But I didn't have to replace the boiler, so that's a good thing.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #53
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Second Sunday at work in large chain of pharmacy.
Still things I am SO ignorant about, but handled the hours better.
Think I'm doing okay.
£25 to come, so it's all good...

Disappointed at the lack of training/ help though.

Last week I was told when to go on my break (although not for how long - I used common sense and asked of course)
Today I caused problems - so I overheard - for not taking my break at the scheduled time. I should have checked the timesheet. WTF? I didn't even see the timesheet last week, how could I know such a thing existed?

It's minor.
I cringed because I hate feeling ignorant and/ or being thought of as stupid (or a troublemaker).
But there have been a few little incidents like that. They forget I had one hour till training (on a training system!) and have been left to work the rest out myself, in a busy store, where there are constant queues and lots of unusual questions come up.

Shall I sign up for evening shifts which would bring in welcome money?
I think I should. I'm not that delicate a flower after all, and more time at work might bring more issues but experience brings knowledge and more work brings more MONEY!

Will check with my SIL tomorrow about signing up for extra shifts.
It might only be staff already rota'd can work additional hours.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #54
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Ripleys cheer competition.

5 hours so far.... Just getting the awards now

Proud of her and all.... But she was only on for 2 minutes.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #55
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Still things I am SO ignorant about, but handled the hours better.
Think I'm doing okay.
£25 to come, so it's all good...

Disappointed at the lack of training/ help though.
Woo HOO! WTG Sundae. They're stoopit iggerant fux if they don't see that you are not being given the necessary training/support. Ask, ask, ask away with those questions (when you can!). Smile a lot (you have such a lovely smile, it'll make all those sick people at Boots feel 100% better straight away!)
Old 11-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #56
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I missed this part about you working a new job. I hope you make oodles of cash.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #57
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

J and J (who split up last year then got back together again, but with J living back in his own house) went looking at a house today. They're looking to rent a place together, and she will rent out/sell her little terrace, and he will give up the house he's been renting for the past 13 or 14 years.

On the one hand I'm really happy for him. Things seem to be going well, and this is a proper commitment, from both, with both taking a leap together. That's brilliant.

On the other hand I feel decidedly weirded out by the thougt of him no longer having the house down the hill. The one we lived in together when we were a couple, and the one where I've been able to visit him on foot on and off even since he and Jan got together. And a place that made it convenient on the occasions he visited here - no need for buses or trains, it's five minutes down the hill.

It's gonna seem weird him not having a place down there. His house, Martin's house and Mum's house have kind of been the borders of my immediate world for a long time.

I don't like change. Who does? I already don;t see him as often as I used to. We're both pretty busy people. But from time to time we get together and watch a marathon of watever show we're both into, either down the hill at his house, or up here at mine. And, that will all change. If he comes to mine to watch a show, he'll have to stay sober as he'll be driving. If I go to theirs I'll need to stay over because the last bus is so early in the evening.

It also means that when I visit, I'll be visiting them, rather than just him. Which in some ways is lovely. Jan's a good friend and I like the dynamic of the three of us. But at the same time, I will miss that other dynamic: chilling with my geek mate, talkin MMO and game development, or watching an entire series of Dexter across three visits :p

'S been a long time coming really. They've been together now for coming on 4 years. But J always kept his house on, even when he was living at Jan's. There's still odd things there that are left from when I lived there. And it will seem odd for that final connection to my own past to be severed. Especially since the yard is shared by two other houses including my brother's. So, I'll be going through the yard to Martin's house and someone else will be living in Jude's house.

Everything changes. But ... knowing it and being happy about it are two different things.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #58
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

We are currently suffering from a Groundhog Day version of the bathroom refit from Hell. The workmen are all very nice, but the guy who built the house originally did everything himself and didn’t know what he was doing, which means that every time I have someone to come and do some work they are amused/appalled/stunned by what he did and any job takes far longer to do because of what he did in the first place. It will be lovely when it is done, but at the moment Handyman and Joiner are undoing the work of Tiler so that they can do the work of Plumber (who has gone to Las Vegas on holiday) and extend the pipes to fit behind the wall before they reattach the washbasin. I am anxious that they don’t spoil the work of Floorman (men, actually), and also hoping that it won’t be long before Electrician comes to fit the giant heated towel rail. I never thought that this little task would involve nine assorted tradesmen and their merry quadrille through our house at unexpected moments has been rather a trial, lovely as they all are individually and keen as I am to get the work done.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #59
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I hope you're taking lots of pictures of the work in progress, including before and after.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #60
monster
I hear them call the tide

I have mixed feelings about the State Swim meet this weekend. Hebe made it to States as a freshman. I'm thrilled -that in itself is enough. And yet..... I will have to sit around for 6 hours (getting more and more nervous) to watch one one-minute race. Breaststroke is last, but seats must be acquired as soon as the doors open -two hours before the meet starts. Plus on Saturday, only the top 16 from Friday swim. She may get through, she may not. I have to make transportation arrangements for the other kids in case she does, but the silly superstitious streak in me says I'm damning her not to get through and if we've made arrangements to be there it will be all the more disappointing. I know, I know. But you know, I didn't think she'd get a state cut, so I said I'd dye my hair blue if she did. Superstition wins every time..... Ans I can't help but be nervous fo rher which is so stupid -she made it to Sates being there is a victory, even if she falls off the blocks. But then I look at the times for last year and I see she has a chance of making the last 16..... this perilous internet allows me TMI.

I guess this should be in the swim mom ranting thread. Just needed to put it in words I guess.

Last edited by monster; 11-14-2011 at 12:17 PM.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote