The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-26-2005, 10:59 AM   #16
Lunaephiliac
Nice people frighten me.

Lightbulb Yes, but...

Underdeveloped though they may be, there still comes a point when a person has to choose. They must be made to take responsibility for their actions. I don't have a problem with the "No-killing" bit, it's the "It's not my fault" bit that bugs me.
Lunaephiliac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:34 PM   #17
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I worked with a lady the other night. She was a retired English/History professor from a large university in the city that is known for it's basketball. She is 62 years old. She is a serious alcoholic.

She knew her name.

She knew her social security number.

Wolf: What's your home address?

Lady: I don't know.

Wolf: What day is today?

Wolf: What time of year is it? (we were standing outside smoking, and it was pretty clearly Spring, robins bobbing, plants trying desperately to sprout)

Wolf: Did you have anything to drink today?

Lady: No. I drank yesterday. I had five glasses of vodka. They were about three ounces each.

Wolf: Blow in this little tube, attached to this machine for me, please.

Lady : (puff) ... ... ... .220 (too drunk to drive in PA is .080).

Wolf: Are you sure you didn't have anything to drink today?

Lady: Yes. I'm sure.

Wolf: Who is the president?

Lady: Clinton. That's right, isn't it?

I think she had her last clear thought sometime in the early 1990s.

I don't often see cases of what's probably Korsakoff's Syndrome all that often. She walks, breathes, and talks, but I think she has a lot more in common with Terri Schiavo than she did me.

Now, to respond more directly to BT's statement above ... I don't think that it's been sufficiently investigated that all persons with the lack of that certain enzyme or whatever are either alcoholics or have a greater likelihood to be so.

A lot of male violent offenders are double-Y's but not all of them. Biology is a part of behavior, but not the sole determinant.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:29 PM   #18
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I worked with a lady the other night. She was a retired English/History professor from a large university in the city that is known for it's basketball. She is 62 years old. She is a serious alcoholic.

She knew her name.

She knew her social security number.

Wolf: What's your home address?

Wolf: What day is today?

Wolf: What time of year is it? (we were standing outside smoking, and it was pretty clearly Spring, robins bobbing, plants trying desperately to sprout)

Wolf: Did you have anything to drink today?

Lady: No. I drank yesterday. I had five glasses of vodka. They were about three ounces each.

Wolf: Blow in this little tube, attached to this machine for me, please.

Lady : (puff) ... ... ... .220 (too drunk to drive in PA is .080).

Wolf: Are you sure you didn't have anything to drink today?

Lady: Yes. I'm sure.

Wolf: Who is the president?

Lady: Clinton. That's right, isn't it?

I think she had her last clear thought sometime in the early 1990s.

I don't often see cases of what's probably Korsakoff's Syndrome all that often. She walks, breathes, and talks, but I think she has a lot more in common with Terri Schiavo than she did me.

Now, to respond more directly to BT's statement above ... I don't think that it's been sufficiently investigated that all persons with the lack of that certain enzyme or whatever are either alcoholics or have a greater likelihood to be so.

A lot of male violent offenders are double-Y's but not all of them. Biology is a part of behavior, but not the sole determinant.
I agree it has not been sufficienty proven that all people with the lack of a certain enzyme will become alcoholic. I do think it has proven they have a much greater chance of becoming an alcoholic. Also, I think it has been proven that alcoholism to be a biological issue as well as social, psychological, issue. I do agree biology is not the sole issue in anti-social behavior; just as it is not with alcoholism......If you want to see Korsakoff's, go to your nearest V.A. nursing home. In most large cities, you will find them on the streets and in some homeless shelters. If your not an alcoholic, be grateful, for alcoholism is a disease of hell...... Yes a disease. Why must people make fun of diseases they don't understand? How many people do you see making fun of people with cancer, diabetes, als, etc.....By the way, thank God Terri Shiavo is finally at peace!!!!!!