The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-20-2006, 05:48 PM   #16
Meiso
Hairy Bear

I love Japan. Ignoring any cultural stereotyping that may occur, they just do so much cool shit. *swoon*

Edit : oops, hit post too soon...

Out of curiousity, does anyone know the arguments the USA holds for wanting to send someone to Mars? The moon I can understand, maybe for resources\science\power (microwave power plants from sim city anyone? ) but Mars... is it sheerly as a challenge of engineering and to explore?

http://www.exceed-network.com - lifetime webpages and targeted internet marketing for a one-off cost from just £10. Nifty, eh?
Meiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:27 PM   #17
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

I'm pretty sure it's just to meet the challenge. Not a bad thing though, most new technology comes out of either the military or NASA, so even if it's not really usefull to walk on Mars getting there will do alot of good.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:08 PM   #18
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiso
Out of curiousity, does anyone know the arguments the USA holds for wanting to send someone to Mars?
I think it has something to do with being a lesbian art teacher. Apparently the gym teachers have that all sewn up in their contracts and are filing a grievance. I need to double check that first.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:27 AM   #19
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiso
I love Japan. Ignoring any cultural stereotyping that may occur, they just do so much cool shit. *swoon*

Edit : oops, hit post too soon...

Out of curiousity, does anyone know the arguments the USA holds for wanting to send someone to Mars? The moon I can understand, maybe for resources\science\power (microwave power plants from sim city anyone? ) but Mars... is it sheerly as a challenge of engineering and to explore?
The plan is to terraform Mars so that it is inhabitable by humans just before Earth can no longer sustain us.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #20
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer
Something along those lines would also happen here. Iraq is now just the most popular focus of media bitching, if we had never gone in there we still wouldn't be planning a moon mission. Just refer to the Homeless thread to witness what some people think is a better use of our money.
God forbid we improve the quality of life for our own citizens.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #21
9th Engineer

Quote:
God forbid we improve the quality of life for our own citizens.
Hmmmm, lets take a closer look at that. "our own citizens". Are you refering to my citizens or yours, because the last time I looked that was not my job. I'm not being nitpicky when I rephrase it to "my fellow citizens" because *dum da dum!!* I'm not resposible for anyone else's life, and I'll decline the invitation for the guilt trip. Every US citizen has power over their own lives, the people who flush themselves down lifes crapper did so under their own power.

If they want a handout they can sing me a song.

p.s. read my post on educational reform before flamming me (#34 Implementing Democracy 1.01 in Iran)
Old 08-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #22
Spexxvet

I wasn't refering to handouts, per se. It's funny, though, how you immediately jump to that conclusion. You really have a thing about conserving *your* wealth and power, huh?

I said quality of life for our own citizens. From your perspective, that would mean that instead of spending money in Iraq, we could round up all the homeless and execute them. It could mean sending a man to Mars, more police to keep the lazy welfare frauds away from you, or whatever. I know that improving roads would improve my quality of life.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:55 AM   #23
9th Engineer

I thought that was what you meant because of the quote in your post.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:48 PM   #24
9th Engineer

It's not so much an effort to conserve my wealth and power because right now I don't have any, well only to the extent of choosing my own pizza toppings and study music. I work hard, earned my 3.87 GPA and lived (am living) like a monk all through highschool and freshman year because that is what leads to wealth and power. What I earn is mine, no one else's. You want the reward then you do the work, and different work has different rewards. As an extention of that I plan to go where ever the contracts are, but you can bet I won't sign a contract that pays me the same amount as someone with half my expertise and education.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:05 PM   #25
Spexxvet

Quote:
... but you can bet I won't sign a contract that pays me the same amount as someone with half my expertise and education.
What if that's the only offer you get? You have the choice of being paid the same as someone with half your expertise and education, or zip. What do you do, then? Remember - your expertise and education don't determine your income, the market and The MAN do.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:07 PM   #26
Spexxvet

Quote:
...I work hard, earned my 3.87 GPA and lived (am living) like a monk all through highschool and freshman year because that is what leads to wealth and power. What I earn is mine, no one else's. You want the reward then you do the work, and different work has different rewards. ...
And what if you had a brain damaged brother, or your father has a stroke. Would your outlook on life change?
Old 08-22-2006, 02:45 PM   #27
9th Engineer

Quote:
What if that's the only offer you get? You have the choice of being paid the same as someone with half your expertise and education, or zip. What do you do, then? Remember - your expertise and education don't determine your income, the market and The MAN do.
That's not as true in my field, in medicine there is a very predictable level of income for different specialities. If I go into biotech research (I have a facination with neural interfaces and augmentation) then I'm pretty well going to go to the highest bidder, as long as the work is interesting. I'm going for a dual M.D.-Ph.D degree, so at that point I'll have broken through The MAN.
(Working abroad doesn't bother me in the least, in fact it usually is the better job now)

Quote:
And what if you had a brain damaged brother, or your father has a stroke. Would your outlook on life change?
Clarify a bit before I answer.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #28
Spexxvet

Quote:
... What I earn is mine, no one else's...
Two part question.
1 - If your brother was brain damaged or your father had a stroke, would they be condemned to only have theirs be what they earn, at a handicapped (so to speak) level of earning power?
2 - Would you expect them to have enough income to support themselves, considering that you and your ilk won't kick in anything?