The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Orlando

Fuck.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:50 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

This will put the haters in a tizzy. It was a Raghead... but they were fags... but it was a Raghead... but they were fags... Hopefully their heads will explode.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The haters are thinking the non-haters are in a tizzy! I read this on a comments section:

"They love LGBTs and Islam, this truly a PC dilemma"
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Seems like hate will win the day either way. Hate the gun, hate the gunman, hate the religion, hate the West, hate the East, hate the desert, hate all religion, hate the humans.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The solution is simple, Griff.

Don't let hate rule the day. You only hear bad news. And there's more than bad news out there. There's tons of good news. But good news doesn't sell papers or airtime.

We shouldn't let the bastards wear us down.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post

Don't let hate rule the day.
amen
Old 06-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #7
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Now Orlando will have to pass a city ordinance requiring bouncers to have counterterrorist training.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #8
Dr. Zaius
Superior Inhabitant

This had nothing to do with religion,” the gunman’s father said. However, he also claimed his son got very angry when he saw two men kissing in downtown Miami recently.

Act of terror and a hate crime rolled into one. Not that there is much difference to the victims.

The real frustration in these horrible events is that you know there's virtually zero you can do about it after the fact, and probably precious little you could have done before it. The shooter is dead. The people he committed this atrocity in the name of are amorphous, international, and to the extent you can identify them, distant and fungible. Kill one ISIS social media recruiter and two more mindless zealots take his place.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #9
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zaius View Post
... The real frustration in these horrible events is that you know there's virtually zero you can do about it after the fact, and probably precious little you could have done before it. ...
That's why the time for people to do something about it is as it's happening; but, the indications are that all they would do was run.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zaius View Post
Act of terror and a hate crime rolled into one. Not that there is much difference to the victims.
I don't want to get into semantics, but
isn't terrorism a hate crime, hate motivated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
That's why the time for people to do something about it is as it's happening; but, the indications are that all they would do was run.
Unarmed, untrained, unprepared, best to GTFO.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:35 PM   #11
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
... Unarmed, untrained, unprepared, best to GTFO.
If you're not already concealed; or, behind cover when the shit goes down, it's best to close and destroy. If you have no route of egress, it's best to attack before discovered. You can't outrun the bullets. Just because you're shot doesn't mean you're going to die. Just because you're going to die doesn't mean you can't take the attacker out with you and save others. Where there's no such mindset, casualties are maximized. When that happens I feel it's a shame; but, I don't dwell on it.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

"... take the attacker out with you..." I don't think a stern look, with crossed arms and a tapping toe would be an effective deterrent. There's a difference between making a sacrifice and being a damn fool. There's no way I can stop this guy, so making a banzai charge just makes his job easier. YMMV.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:27 PM   #13
sexobon

Quote:
... There's no way I can stop this guy, so making a banzai charge just makes his job easier. YMMV.
You bet your bippy it does. That's because I hang out with people of another mindset, people who can act in consonance.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:02 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
There's no way I can stop this guy, so making a banzai charge just makes his job easier.
But, if all of you, or ten of you, or even five of you charge him yelling "Banzai!!!".......

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Exactly, you're trained, you hang with trained people. When you look at a problem, you have a completely different set of tools in your bag you can use for a solution. Most people don't have those tools so they have a shorter list of reasonable options. I know my limitations, and they're not mental, they're physical.