The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-07-2005, 09:16 PM   #91
Guyute
Gamehenge

Sale on asbestos undies in aisle 5!!!!

I somehow doubt a US president would be so blatantly racist- even icky thicky Dubya isn't THAT stupid.

if anything Kanye West and his celebrity ilk are more to blame- why didn't he hire a fleet of water tankers and stretch Hummers filled with food, gather up all of his hood-mates, and race down there to help out? No, he got on TV in his fancy duds, with all of his buds, and flamed the Pres from nice, safe SoCal. Typical. The only person more hypocritical is Bono. We pay these people millions to stand in front of cameras, freak out when one of them goes to a movie premiere, then expect them to not puff up for the media, roll up their sleeves and go help out the little guy. Yeah, right.

Maybe if the media didn't have an audience of no-minds eagerly awaiting the next pearl of wisdom from Rocket Scientologist Tom Cruise, or Julia Roberts, these idjits woud be forced to go lend a hand in person to get airtime.

PS- I am Canadian, and I have to say that we should eject Celine over the Atlantic. What a maroon. Did someone let her go out again without her Prozac???????
Old 09-07-2005, 09:36 PM   #92
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
even icky thicky Dubya isn't THAT stupid.
People keep saying that...and he keeps proving them wrong.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:58 AM   #93
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

[quote=BigV]Or, if you're just showing your frustration at not getting the answer you expected, perhaps you could ease your discomfort by signing off.

V are you really this anal? I see you dont' respond to humor at all. There is no discomfort, thank you. Stop being such an Anal Andy and smile.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:24 AM   #94
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

[quote=HappyMonkey]No, the point is that NICOTINEGUN has no idea about who has done what, except for the ones the press chooses to cover. I could just as easily ask why he hasn't donated to the Red Cross.

Okay, I'll spell it out for you Mr. Monkey: don't go on national television and talk about how the U.S. needs to do this and that for this country and that country and bash the administration and then do nothing when something happens in your own country.
My problem is not with rich people who do nothing. My problem is with these rich people that chomp at the bit when something in another country happens and they organize media campaigns bashing the administration, but then they don't say a word when something happens here until it becomes political.
I feel for all those people. I think more should have been done, but you didnt' hear a peep from Hollywierd until it became a political/racial thing. That is the issue.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:53 AM   #95
marichiko

Wha...?

Say, can I be resident vice-president? I am fully prepared to pick up the reins of power whenever your modem goes down.

Just a thought.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:38 AM   #96
bargalunan
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
I am Canadian, and I have to say that we should eject Celine over the Atlantic.
Don't joke about such a serious topic. I live over the Atlantic !

I liiiiiiiike Bono's songs.
In the name of love, Van Diemen's land, I still haven't found what I'm looking for (gospel one)...

I think he's famous enough and has nothing to prove. I feel him sincere when he involves himself in a humanitarian purpose.
bargalunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:54 AM   #97
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICOTINEGUN
Okay, I'll spell it out for you Mr. Monkey: don't go on national television and talk about how the U.S. needs to do this and that for this country and that country and bash the administration and then do nothing when something happens in your own country.
You have no idea when or what they did.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:25 AM   #98
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
After watching the video at the bottom of this site, I may agree. Cutting communication lines? Turning aid away? WTF?
|_______________| [pics]
Old 09-08-2005, 10:26 AM   #99
warch
lurkin old school

Senior Gun obviously didnt see the GIGANTIC Documented, internationally broadcast ('cept in the mideast apparently)shocking, awing truth that in New Orleans, celebrity crooner and comic actor Harry Connick Jr. responded more quickly and effectively last Thurdsay than FEMA and the red cross.
Gun has not seen the level of aid and fundraising that's occured from individual, corporations and yes, big liberal celebrities.

So his outrage is lame.

I will say this about Kanye- He made his statement on Friday, the day that the federal response began to kick in. Correct or not, given the horror and emotion of the preceeding 5 days, I can see how he would form his opinion.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:47 AM   #100
mrnoodle
bent

The Red Cross was ready with food and water on pallets almost immediately. The Louisiana Dept. of Homeland Security -- a state version, not the feds -- told them they couldn't bring it to the Superdome or convention center. Why? They didn't want to create 'magnets' out of those places.

Source: The vast right wing conspiracy

Ooops, bet the left didn't mean for that to get out.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #101
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
It would interrupt everything else that is happening on the ground in that area, just to get the shots that tw wants. Frankly I would rather have him hugging people in the safe zone for a day. I guess I'm racist.
Well, UT, if TW ever missed an opportunity to demonstrate he's an ass, or Marichiko that she's an assistant one, it was likely because their servers were down. What a pair of unspeakables.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:59 AM   #102
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
The Red Cross was ready with food and water on pallets almost immediately. The Louisiana Dept. of Homeland Security -- a state version, not the feds -- told them they couldn't bring it to the Superdome or convention center. Why? They didn't want to create 'magnets' out of those places.
That seems to be a recurring theme across the board. No aid should be given because it might attract people to use it. Like the C-130s full of food for airdrops that remain grounded because they think dropping the food will cause riots.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 09-08-2005, 12:00 PM   #103
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
Well, UT, if TW ever missed an opportunity to demonstrate he's an ass, or Marichiko that she's an assistant one, it was likely because their servers were down. What a pair of unspeakables.
Clarification: Sir, I am no assistant ass, I am an ass.

Thank you.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:26 PM   #104
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

marichiko, if I may?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry
Dost thou not suspect my place? Dost thou not suspect my years? O that he were here to write me down an ass! But masters, remember that I am an ass. Though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass. No, thou villain, thou art full of piety, as shall be proved upon thee by good witness. I am a wise fellow, and which is more, an officer, and which is more, a householder, and which is more, as pretty a piece of flesh as any is in Messina, and one that knows the law, go to . . . and one that hath two gowns, and everything handsome about him. Bring him away. O that I had been writ down an ass! (Much Ado About Nothing; IV.ii.67–78)
The long version, given UG's demonstrated affinity for the language.

(I, however am merely the ass pro tempore.)
Old 09-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #105
Happy Monkey

Read about the real asses here.
Quote:
Unfortunately, our sinking feeling (along with the sinking City) was correct. Just as dusk set in, a Gretna Sheriff showed up, jumped out of his patrol vehicle, aimed his gun at our faces, screaming, "Get off the fucking freeway". A helicopter arrived and used the wind from its blades to blow away our flimsy structures. As we retreated, the sheriff loaded up his truck with our food and water.
|_______________| [pics]