The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-02-2005, 06:21 PM   #1
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

Sleeper Movies I've Watched Recently

I've been watching a lot of movies recently-there isn't much else to do. Many of them have been films I would not watch otherwise. I've discovered many of them are great films. Here is a list in case you've missed them also. Some old, some new.

Catch 22-very funny. I read the book and it was even better. If you are in the military it is very poignant.

Soylent Green-decent

Papion-decent movie about a series of prison breaks and the human spirit

Redemption-excellent film about Stan Tookie Williams who was put on death rowe, but later wrote a series of children's books that won him the Nobel Peace Prize-they still won't let him out. Jamie Foxx did a great job.

A Love Song For Bobby Long-great movie if you like booze and literature. Johnny T. did an outstanding job

Crash-if you watch this you will want to go out and hug someone you used to hate-Radar, I'm lookin at you big fella.

The Animated Star Wars Series-if you are a SW Head, you need to see this I guess. Chances are you already have it downloaded. It is a connection piece between Part 2 and 3. The animation isn't that good but the sound effects are just like the movies.

Uncovering the War-no comment

OutFoxed-good docuementary. I enjoyed it.

The Fog of War-also very enlightening

Life Aquatic-HILARIOUS!!!!!

Fever Pitch-Jimmy Fallon is good in this. It's a comedy/lovey dovey flick

Spanglish-good movie

Shoot me some more flicks I might not have caught on the feeling they suck.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I recently picked up Big Trouble in Little China on DVD. I've seen that movie a half dozen times. It's a great satire of action flicks, along with Army of Darkness, which is more of a horror-action satire.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:36 PM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

Wow. Just watched Rabbit Proof Fence. Next time somebody comes up with a racial improvement plan sit them down in front of this one. Peter Gabriel soundtrack as well. I'm not sure I'd que it up sitting in fucking Iraq though, a guy could get depressed.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:20 PM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Kenneth Branaugh Plays a mean villain.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:53 PM   #5
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

sleeper with woody allen
Old 09-03-2005, 12:15 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Sin City (I think you will really dig this. I posted a review (post #7 of the thread) after seeing it in the theater)

Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick. Unless you are really into these, skip Dark Fury, which is an animated connector story between the two.

Anger Management

Team America: World Police

THX-1138

Reservoir Dogs

Airplane (you cannot see Airplane too many times)

I just got a box of DVDs from Columbia House (They had a sale) which includes Constantine ... I got it on someone else's recommendation, I'll try to remember to post a review at some point after I watch it. I also got Witness, the 25th anniversary edition of Pink Floyd's The Wall, and American Psycho.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:10 AM   #7
Happy Monkey

I just signed up for PeerFlix. It's like NetFlix, except you trade old DVDs you already have for ones other people have. It's pretty cool, and I just used it to see Reservoir Dogs for the first time in a long while.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 09-03-2005, 01:12 AM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Based on what I see from the ad, when I select a DVD some other user ends up with my name and address?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 09-03-2005, 08:22 AM   #9
Happy Monkey

Yup. Not for the paranoid.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 09-03-2005, 10:18 AM   #10
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I just watched Amistad for the first time. I can't believe I hadn't seen this movie.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have now seen about 1/2 of Constantine. I started watching it too late last night and fell asleep. The challenge for today will be determining what scene I last remember and starting from there.

So far ... it's good.

Creepy in the right places, interesting special effects, and demons. Plenty of demons. Angels too.

Old 09-03-2005, 03:08 PM   #12
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

Constanine was a good flick. So was Sin City. I enjoyed Constantine more though due to the nature and matter content of the film. I still hate Keanu, though. I still can't believe a director had the balls to put him on the big screen with Gary Oldman. Anyway, let me know what you think, Wolf. What is THX numbers, numbers?

I just added Fahrenheit 451 to the list: to the the list of losers. They killed that movie. It was a horrible adaptation. I would like to see them remake that film.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:06 PM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

THX-1138 was George Lucas' first major film. It was based on a short student film he did in college. One of the Storm Troopers in Star Wars has THX-1138 as his/it's code number as a nod to this film. There was a DVD rerelease of it last year which includes some good behind the scenes type info in the extras. The star is Robert Duvall, and Donald Plesance is also featured. I think you'll like it, given some of your other choices.

Old 09-03-2005, 05:23 PM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Also check Downfall. It was nominated for a Best Foreign Film Academy Award this year, but didn't win.

Amazing movie ... recreates the final days of the Third Reich. The character who serves as a focal point is Hitler's Personal Secretary, but it very clearly shows the breakdown of the last defense of the Reich, as well as the personalities.

German, with English Subtitles.

Old 09-03-2005, 05:24 PM   #15
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

"So, You Married an Axe Murdere." Love the humor, love the humor.

"Princess Bride." - Where did this movie come from. Sleeper extrodanair.

And though I haven't seen it recently, I have had an hankerin' to dig it out, "L.A. Story." Again, love the humor.